HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:00 PM

Good. The last thing Vancouver needs is LESS hotel rooms.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:38 PM

Good that they are renovating the building. Would be a huge waste to demolish such a big structure. Also Four Seasons should start building a new hotel tower somewhere else, like those found in Toronto (just off Bloor) & Kuala Lumpur (smack at the KLCC hood).

Toronto:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6727...7i16384!8i8192

Kuala Lumpur:
https://www.google.com/maps/@3.15724...7i13312!8i6656

Those are truly 5 star hotels, unlike the shabby one we have at Pacific Centre.

CF should also open the new hotels soon, as we have so few hotel rooms now it's not even funny.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:29 PM

Its interesting to think what brands could be replacing the Four Seasons. The main take away from this announcement is the quote:

“CF Pacific Centre will be home to a leading global hotel and entertainment brand that will be unique not only in Vancouver, but the rest of Canada. We look forward to providing more details about this exciting project in the near future,” added Knoepfel."

This takes away plenty of potential hotels out of the mix. Brands that come to mind that are not already in Canada ( or opening soon) are the Edition hotels, Virgin (though I do not consider them 5 stars), or SLS Hotels.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:50 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:32 PM

So much for the chatter about the old tower being replaced by a whole new tallest tower!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quite disappointing news about the old short tower remaining in place. I cannot see even a full-on renovation make this building look very nice from outside.

It will also be a downgrade no matter who they find, as I have been considering Four Seasons consistently as the number 1 luxury hotel chain in the world. I have never seen them having to discount room prices whereas you can sleep cheaply in most other luxury hotels around the world...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:06 AM

My guess is that overly strict height limits guided their hand into the renovation vs. tearing down the tower for it to only be replaced with a slightly taller tower.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
So much for the chatter about the old tower being replaced by a whole new tallest tower!
My update in the rumour thread today:

Quote:
Today's news by CF knocks one off the potential sites list
it wasn't the site I was talking about in the first place lol but at least it brings some closure

I would say that Aman properties are much better than Four Seasons properties soft and hard product wise; then again, this will most definitely not be an Aman (but who knows)

Maybe a Waldorf Astoria, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Conrad, Edition, Raffles, Banyan Tree? Maybe even a Bulgari hotel and then they open a new flagship in the mall as well?

*Edit* Didn't see the part that the chain would be exclusive to Vancouver and Canada; that strikes out Park Hyatt (I'm guessing Mandarin Oriental could still remain on the potential list even they used to have one here)

Last edited by bb1510; Jan 16, 2020 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Good that they are renovating the building. Would be a huge waste to demolish such a big structure. Also Four Seasons should start building a new hotel tower somewhere else, like those found in Toronto (just off Bloor) & Kuala Lumpur (smack at the KLCC hood).

Toronto:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6727...7i16384!8i8192

Kuala Lumpur:
https://www.google.com/maps/@3.15724...7i13312!8i6656

Those are truly 5 star hotels, unlike the shabby one we have at Pacific Centre.

CF should also open the new hotels soon, as we have so few hotel rooms now it's not even funny.
I'm pretty sure the only shabby Four Seasons property is the one here in Vancouver; can't seem to recall a single one that you question based on the bathroom "are you sure this is a four seasons?"

it's quite shocking that they use a skirted tub and shower curtains in their standard rooms

quite frankly, I'm surprised Four Seasons didn't leave or renovate earlier given how aside from location, this property would potentially be a negative to their PR and image

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:24 AM

Anyone know which project this is referring to?

Quote:
Four Seasons Hotels is said to be in the running for a new development on Thurlow Street in Vancouver that would include a hotel as well as residences above, though other hotel operators such as Mandarin Oriental could also end up securing the spot.
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-hotel-closure

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Anyone know which project this is referring to?

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-hotel-closure
If the Fortis tower were to be redeveloped, how tall could it potentially be since it's on the part where both Trump and Shangri La aren't cut by the viewcone on the south

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:48 AM

There's no viewcone above the Fortis BC building and it is within the higher building policy zone (on major streets)
- so conceivably 600 ft? From Georgia, would it still shadow Harbour Green at that height (?)

July 2018:
https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/H005.pdf

This is the older version (Feb 2018) that shows the "no viewcone" area:
https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/H005_2018Feb13.pdf

Only the Burrrad Building site is pegged at 700ft.

The rest of Thurlow wouldn't be suitable for a Four Seasons
(the Melville and Pender corners are small sites and "back-of-house" locations behind Bentall).
1090 West Georgia seems like a small site.

Only other site would be the former Coopers & Lybrand Building at Hastings (almost waterfront),
but that's part of a complex with the Renaissance Hotel:
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...ncouver-canada

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 16, 2020 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There's no viewcone above the Fortis BC building and it is, I think, within the higher building policy zone (on major streets) - so conceivably 600 ft?

https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/H005.pdf

Only the Burrrad Building site is pegged at 700ft.
Maybe that could potentially be the site where the Four Seasons/Mandarin Oriental could be. Location wise also makes sense.

The other site I know of was originally supposed to have a major hotel portion but that has been axed. I think I can deduce the reason; maybe will disclose in the near future but not now

Is the tower where the Escada store currently is (immediately east of Shangri La) also part of the Burrard building or a separate complex?

*Edit* nevermind, 1090 west georgia is a separate complex

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
*Edit* nevermind, 1090 west georgia is a separate complex
That's a small site unless the neighbouring Grosvenor Building is taken down.
3 buildings on that block.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:30 AM

I'm presuming that a lot of thought went into this announcement, but I have to admit it feels like a jump-the-gun non-announcement. What's to be gained by announcing that there will be a hotel at this point, except perhaps to scare other potential hotel developments off the playing field?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1510 View Post
I'm pretty sure the only shabby Four Seasons property is the one here in Vancouver; can't seem to recall a single one that you question based on the bathroom "are you sure this is a four seasons?"

it's quite shocking that they use a skirted tub and shower curtains in their standard rooms

quite frankly, I'm surprised Four Seasons didn't leave or renovate earlier given how aside from location, this property would potentially be a negative to their PR and image
I seem to recall Prince Al-Waleed once visiting (or a member of his management/family), took one step in the lobby of FS Vancouver, then walked out and decided to just continue on to Whister

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:12 AM

maybe it will be RIU out of Spain.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...dian-location/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
I seem to recall Prince Al-Waleed once visiting (or a member of his management/family), took one step in the lobby of FS Vancouver, then walked out and decided to just continue on to Whister
I would like to see a link to back that up but it is hilarious to think that a prick of a prince would have done that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I Hope not Rui, toes are horrible factories on the beach in Mexico and elsewhere. Belmond please, especially after LVMH took them over.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 7:05 AM

Probably not RIU, as the articles say "unique to Canada", and RIU has already announced a project in Toronto, currently under construction.

Ditto for W Hotels - The Marriott at Hudson Bay Centre (Bloor St.) in Toronto is being renovated into a W Hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver