HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 8:28 PM

So I know it doesn't quite fit into the Salt Lake MSA, but I didn't know where it would fit better. I found a cool link to the future USU Moab campus extension. You can find the link: http://moab.usu.edu/files/USU%20Fina...lan_120321.pdf

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Adobe's campus in Lehi:

I had to drive to Orem yesterday and saw the Adobe offices. They look AWESOME!!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I had to drive to Orem yesterday and saw the Adobe offices. They look AWESOME!!
Yeah, it's a sweet building... right behind the Adobe building and to the south, you can see the outlet mall starting to rise as well.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Yeah, it's a sweet building... right behind the Adobe building and to the south, you can see the outlet mall starting to rise as well.
Is that the thing that looks like a greenhouse right now? We were in the area Thursday, and I wasn't sure what that was, and my wife was sorely disappointed in my lack of development knowledge.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Is that the thing that looks like a greenhouse right now? We were in the area Thursday, and I wasn't sure what that was, and my wife was sorely disappointed in my lack of development knowledge.
Yeah, that's the one... It's up on the hill just southeast of the new adobe bldg... Or just south of Cabelas. All I know is that my wife is super excited.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.farnes View Post
So I know it doesn't quite fit into the Salt Lake MSA, but I didn't know where it would fit better. I found a cool link to the future USU Moab campus extension. You can find the link: http://moab.usu.edu/files/USU%20Fina...lan_120321.pdf
St. George MSA? I had posted a rendering regarding this there before.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:40 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Adobe's campus in Lehi:

This is the first of 3 buildings on the 30 acres Adobe bought for their Utah campus. My understanding is that as soon as this first building is finished, they will immediately start the second building just to the south of this. The third phase will include the third building to the north of this building. In all the campus will hold between 2,500-3K workers, roughly 30% of Adobe's worldwide workforce. It was a huge land for Utah County and Utah as a whole.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 7:58 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
This is the first of 3 buildings on the 30 acres Adobe bought for their Utah campus. My understanding is that as soon as this first building is finished, they will immediately start the second building just to the south of this. The third phase will include the third building to the north of this building. In all the campus will hold between 2,500-3K workers, roughly 30% of Adobe's worldwide workforce. It was a huge land for Utah County and Utah as a whole.

Was just thinking how tall this building could of been if built downtown Provo or Salt Lake. Oh well. Still great for Utah to have. Lehi is starting to really develop now with this and the outlet mall.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 8:29 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I think the location of the adobe building make sense... It's not far from Im flash... Maybe we will get other tech companies in e area as well... Califonia sucks to do buisness in... So bring it here I say

Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 11:45 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Was just thinking how tall this building could of been if built downtown Provo or Salt Lake. Oh well. Still great for Utah to have. Lehi is starting to really develop now with this and the outlet mall.
it's interesting how these large tech companies prefer low to mid-rise office buildings:

Google

Apple's soon to be HQ (that looks like the Hale Bopp spaceship, if you ask me)

Yahoo!

Facebook (current or future, I couldn't tell)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 12:34 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I was getting my tiers replaced on state street close to 2100 south today.. So I decided to walk over and get some photos of the demolition that is taking place.

The novelty shop is gone. The colonial mortuary is currently being demolished

-Before

-After

-Mortuary demolition photos

This is a building located about half way between state and main... Not sure what it was.

Another pile of rubble between state and main a bit further south

The abandoned warehouses and adjacent store fronts on state street are being demolished. This is right next to where the street cars going to sugarhouse will run.

-Before

-After (The building that is still standing is being demolished from the other side)

This one kind of saddens me. The Ritz Classic Bowling sign is in really bad shape. A couple of the letters are being held together with rope, a lot of the neon lighting is broken, and the main frame appears to be rusting pretty bad. Also this thing didn't seem to be handling the wind very well... I would not expect this to be here much longer... The ritz could restore it... But the fact that they don't maintain it is a good indicator that they will eventually just rip it down and replace it with something cheep and easy.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:55 AM

That is really sad. I hope the new streetcar will encourage the owners to fix it.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:00 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I think the last time the sign got some love was when they converted the skating rink in to more lanes... The side that says classic use to say skating... And the number of lanes was changed... They also use to have mini golf and a water slide

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:06 AM

That sign was an iconic landmark for me while growing up. We use to drive on I-80 to my grandparents and the turning lit-up light was forever imprinted on me as a landmark of that area.

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:37 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That sign was an oconic landmark for me while growing up. We use to drive on I-80 to my grandparents and the turning lit-up light was forever imprinted on me as a landmark of that area.
I totally agree. I hope the ritz doesn't let it fall apart... But it doesn't look good at this point

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:16 AM
The Drifter

I remember back in the 90s when Salt Lake changed some ordinances on State Street where people could no longer have large signs like that. That sign was 1 of 2 that was allowed to stay being deemed a landmark.

I too, would like to see the sign fixed up and look like the landmark it is.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:02 AM

In the Sunday paper (SL Trib) there was a magazine insert, "Discover West Valley City." about 50 pages about Fairbourne Station, the new Embassy Suites Hotel, Valley Fair Mall, and some other things. They talked a lot about Transit-Oriented Development, the Green Line, things like that. Nothing that we didn't already know about here, but a great publication that might spread their vision to more west side residents. Great pics and articles. I mean, it's mostly just publicity and boosterism, but I like that they're trying. Some clarifications on the new Civic Center they want to build (new City Hall, Library, etc.) too.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
That sign was an iconic landmark for me while growing up. We use to drive on I-80 to my grandparents and the turning lit-up light was forever imprinted on me as a landmark of that area.
oops. I wish there was a way to cancel a post instead of having to submit it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:57 PM

I know that updates in Bountiful are generally posted in the Ogden thread but I think they fit better in the SLC MSA thread. Bountiful is much closer to downtown SLC than it is to Ogden, and it is closer to downtown than many of the other places that are updated in this thread. Here are some pictures I took on Saturday of Bountiful’s Main Street.

Here is a story about the Hepworth development on Main: http://davisclipper.com/view/full_st...e_right_column

Last edited by DCRes; Apr 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM. Reason: link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 8:59 PM

Utah's classic Main Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountiful’s Main Street.
Here is a story about the Hepworth development on Main: [url
http://davisclipper.com/view/full_story/17846694/article-Hepworth-project-generating-excitement?instance=news_special_coverage_right_column[/url]
\

Clipper story says “This is the only Main Street in the state of Utah that has the potential of being a classic Main Street,” Hepworth said.

Does the forum agree? My own criteria for a classic main street is that there are still a drug store / cafe /bank / hardware or general merchandise store operating in the central part of town. There should be an active civic building like a post office or library(ie not just a building like a school district headquarters but a building the general public has reason to visit) and a place of worship. General look should be of a place valued and patronized by the populace.

Bountiful 's Main Street is pleasant and tree-lined (says a semi-regular patron of Royal India) but not sure it totally meets criteria at moment. However, if new development keeps it fairly lively I am willing to grant it classic status based on its looks.

Or maybe my criteria are not economically realistic.

In Salt Lake County the ones I can think of with classic main street facades, but not the mix of uses, are Midvale and Magna. Tourist destinations like Park City and Moab have the foot traffic (and nice to-haves like independent booksellers) as do some college towns.

Other candidates for Utah's classic Main Street?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West