HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
Didn't it hit a snag at the last second because one councilor filed an amendment related to parking? I wouldn't call this a done deal yet...
A council vote of 8-1 means it is a done deal

Bob, thanks for the info about flickr. I originally used photobucket for my photo hosting years ago but they changed and no longer allowed pictures to be posted on other sites so i switched to imgur but there's no way to resize them on imgur and there also doesn't seem to be any way to resize them using my phone's camera. Props for sending that message to city council too

Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy View Post
I wish the architecture was more interesting...this is the same stuff we're subjected to in Vancouver, ad nauseam

Victoria has a legacy of fine old buildings and something this big should at least try to add to the design experience of the city
I agree they're pretty bland, i'm surprised the city didn't ask for some architectural features like the tallest Hudson tower has but the pendulum towards height has clearly shifted and seems to be gaining momentum which is good and I think we can all thank this guy

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Feb 19, 2023 at 12:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 3:48 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

The one thing Alan Lowe did is he screwed us out of a proper sized arena. He rushed it through with no thought of building a venue for the island and region. 7,000 seats. It should have been a least 10,000 and even 12,000. We still don't get a lot of shows and concerts because it's too small of a venue. My only hope is one day Langford will build one.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
A council vote of 8-1 means it is a done deal
Not necessarily. The developer may well come back to council and say the parking changes aren't feasible. There may be more wrangling at hand before we see shovels hit the ground on this project.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/v...some-1.6280106

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
The one thing Alan Lowe did is he screwed us out of a proper sized arena. He rushed it through with no thought of building a venue for the island and region. 7,000 seats. It should have been a least 10,000 and even 12,000. We still don't get a lot of shows and concerts because it's too small of a venue. My only hope is one day Langford will build one.
Bob, since the arena was built we've had John Mellencamp, Elton John, Cher, Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Journey, Sting, Kiss, Motley Crue, Supertramp, Ozzy Osbourne and Prince which seems pretty impressive to me

Who hasn't shown up because the venue's too small?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:
What is the arenas main use? From what I remember it was to attract a WHL franchise. If that's the case then a 10-12,000 seat venue would have been a waste. You're completely out to lunch to think Victoria could sustain that size of venue. They don't even come close to filling it for Royals games on a regular basis. The vibe there would be depressing if it was any bigger.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 6:40 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Victoria could easily support a 10,000 seat arena. There's 850,000 people on the island and 415,000 in greater Victoria. As it is so many large attractions don't come to the island due to the fact there's not a large enough venue and when the odd ones do come they sell out back to back shows. Also so many expeditions bypass the island also due to the fact there's no venue. When Victoria was building the new arena Vancouver didn't have a city to house their farm team in the AHL as The Manitoba Moose was looking to move when The Winnipeg Jets moved back to Manitoba. If Victoria had the foresight we could have built a much larger arena and had Vancouver's AHL Farm team here. I would have bought season tickets to that but I think as it is I've been to two or three WHL games ever. It's pathetic.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 1:24 AM
I'm cheap

Victoria sure has changed since I lived there back in the mid 2000s. I should come down next time I'm at my parents in Black Creek.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Victoria could easily support a 10,000 seat arena. There's 850,000 people on the island and 415,000 in greater Victoria. As it is so many large attractions don't come to the island due to the fact there's not a large enough venue and when the odd ones do come they sell out back to back shows. Also so many expeditions bypass the island also due to the fact there's no venue. When Victoria was building the new arena Vancouver didn't have a city to house their farm team in the AHL as The Manitoba Moose was looking to move when The Winnipeg Jets moved back to Manitoba. If Victoria had the foresight we could have built a much larger arena and had Vancouver's AHL Farm team here. I would have bought season tickets to that but I think as it is I've been to two or three WHL games ever. It's pathetic.
It seems to me that we get the vast majority of performers that much bigger cities like Seattle and Vancouver get since we built that arena and it's amazing what few performers actually miss Victoria. The only ones I can think of are the biggest shows that fill BC Place like U2, the Rolling Stones, etc.....

I just bought a ticket the other day to see my favorite comedian-Jimmy Carr, who I never thought would come to Victoria so no, I don't think we're missing much Bob, especially in contrast to the old Memorial Arena which barely anyone ever played

I also don't think we're worthy of an AHL franchise either because if you look at the cities in the AHL, most of them are much bigger than Victoria so i'm not at all convinced we could support an AHL team

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Feb 23, 2023 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 2:39 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

We miss a lot of shows Phil and a lot of trade shows etc. Here's Halifax's arena ( Same size city as Victoria ) they secured the World Junior Hockey tournament. The arena should have been 10,000 seats minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5lWdXFDcho

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 3:21 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
Victoria sure has changed since I lived there back in the mid 2000s. I should come down next time I'm at my parents in Black Creek.
Jarrod, sorry I didn't say hi. It's nice hearing from you. If you are in Victoria let me know. We can grab lunch or something.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 4:07 AM
I'm cheap

Quote:
Jarrod, sorry I didn't say hi. It's nice hearing from you. If you are in Victoria let me know. We can grab lunch or something.
Sounds good to me

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:04 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

A few quick photos I took this afternoon today...

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:30 PM

Nice update GS - still can’t believe they managed to squeeze in that narrow condo on Johnson street between the Mondrian and the other condo. Better than a tiny parking lot though.

February Victoria picture update I posted in the Canada section if you’re interested:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=9732

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Nice update GS - still can’t believe they managed to squeeze in that narrow condo on Johnson street between the Mondrian and the other condo. Better than a tiny parking lot though.

February Victoria picture update I posted in the Canada section if you’re interested:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=9732
Lovely set of photos zoomer! Particularly love the heritage elements in this city.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 8:59 PM

Yes!~

Quote:
'Old Town' exhibit to remain at Royal B.C. Museum
https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2176790083678

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:03 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Yes!~
I was so happy about that too. It was the Museum's best exhibit and my favorite part of the whole museum.

Zoomer, fantastic photos. I envy how you have so much free time to go do photography. You also always take great photos. A true gift.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:30 AM
April Melissa Sandever

Once again amazing photos Zoomer!

April Junior Website Manager @ SkyscraperPage

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
I was so happy about that too. It was the Museum's best exhibit and my favorite part of the whole museum.

Zoomer, fantastic photos. I envy how you have so much free time to go do photography. You also always take great photos. A true gift.
Yes, and especially memorable at the Old Town display during Christmas time. I refused to step into the museum last year despite the entrance fee being slashed down to only $5. Hopefully they can open the 3rd floor up soon in the summer to capitalize on the cruise ship season.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 5:31 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

Here's a couple of interesting articles in Thursday's newspaper...

Thursday's News Paper by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Thursday's Newspaper by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Thursday's Newspaper by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:09 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I took some quick photos today from around Victoria. Here's a few of them...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia