HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Over in the Edmonton thread there is discussion about MEC adding a second store at South Edmonton Common and also moving their current store to an even more central location. That would lead me to believe they are looking at two stores in Calgary as well - one central at their current location and the other in a suburban setting. Just speculation on my part however.
This was pretty much foretold in this Vancouver Sun article from last July:
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/M...994/story.html

Quote:
[A MEC spokesman] said it is considering other new Canadian locations but is not in a position to confirm them now. “In the West, our opportunities now are in Calgary and Edmonton, where we have just one store in each city,” he said.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 6:49 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Excellent. This location is much easier for me to access although I do enjoy getting DT to the current store for a change of pace from normal life.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:15 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I was at Market Mall Yesterday. PCL has a bunch of site offices and construction fencing along with equipment staged on the SW corner of the property surrounding the old Target location. Is there any indication of who is going in there?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:00 PM

The Phil's on 14th Street will be moving into the first floor of the Met, according to my server there on the weekend.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
The Phil's on 14th Street will be moving into the first floor of the Met, according to my server there on the weekend.
Good news, although you can't beat the parking at the current location. Best value breakfast place in the inner city!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I was at Market Mall Yesterday. PCL has a bunch of site offices and construction fencing along with equipment staged on the SW corner of the property surrounding the old Target location. Is there any indication of who is going in there?
Nothing definitive, but I've heard rumors that part of the space is becoming a GoodLife. Other speculation I've found online includes Saks.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Nothing definitive, but I've heard rumors that part of the space is becoming a GoodLife. Other speculation I've found online includes Saks.
Goodlife is the new Shoppers.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:37 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Jeez if it's going to become a GoodLife it might as well become a Lowes. Doesn't add much to the retail market does it? But I suppose given the proximity to the university and density in the surrounding areas it might do well.

The Saks rumour has been going around for a while, but I suspect that Chinook will be the winner with that one.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Jeez if it's going to become a GoodLife it might as well become a Lowes. Doesn't add much to the retail market does it?

I'd take yoga pants over plumber's crack any day.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Goodlife might make sense if they are going to (eventually) move out of the Northland Village location.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Goodlife might make sense if they are going to (eventually) move out of the Northland Village location.
Plus it seems to me that Goodlife is very much ok signing short term leases, or leases with option clauses for early termination. Better to have the foot traffic and covering operating costs if you think it would be 2 or 3 years until someone else would be willing to lease the property.

That all being said, I bet Goodlife if it is taking space only takes the top floor, with the lower floor being converted to retail bays.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 8:51 PM

Does anyone know what is going on in a stall on 10th Ave and 4th Street SW? It is the former Kublai Khan restaurant.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 6:10 AM

It looks like Canadian Tire will be opening in the Mt. Royal Village expansion (8 St/16 Ave SW). Signage went up at the site recently promoting CT and Urban Fare supermarket. That will be a welcome addition to the Beltline.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 4:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

That's great, the makeshift hardware/dept store that Super Drug mart had in the basement was a loss 7 or 8 years ago. Although I suppose London Drugs might have covered some of that.

Actually that does mean that London Drugs will have home goods competition right across the street.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:00 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but ATB and a coffee shop (not sure which chain) are moving into the first floor of Hudson's Block, at the NW corner of Stephen and Centre. This was formerly main floor office space.

http://www.atb.com/campaigns/Pages/S...ue-Centre.aspx

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:16 PM

So the ATB showcase branch is free to become a station head now?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
So the ATB showcase branch is free to become a station head now?
Indeed, ATB is replacing the main branch with this one and the new one in EAP that just opened.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:36 AM
Edan

Sunglass Hut is expanding into Hudsons Bay locations in Southcentre and Chinook. The one is Southcentre Hudsons bay is open already, and the one in Chinook will be open in a few weeks.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 6:54 PM
Canadian Urbanite

In case anyone is curious which tenants are coming to First and Evolution in East Village...

First already welcomed Merle Norman, and the second tenant to open will be a Red Bloom Salon.

In Evolution, they have announced a jeweller, dry cleaner, and Liz and Lottie on the ground floor.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:18 PM

To add to this the last small retail bay in First will apparently be a dental office and the developer has told residents that they are targeting a dining option of some kind for the corner retail bay across from Simmons building. Nothing crazy exciting but all essentials for any neighbourhood. The Loblaws/Shopper's Drug Mart in the Riocan development will be game changing for the neighbourhood when it finally opens up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy