HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
The building was renovated in 2010 but then sold in 2019. Looks like the LLC that bought it just filed for bankruptcy. Google USRE 257 LLC

However looks like the owner - https://www.brixall.com/#PastProjects has other projects that are still operational?

I was in this building maybe 5 years ago when it was still the Bentley. Lower end CC building popular with grad students. Similar to older PMC stock.
Thanks for the info! Hopefully this gets liquidated soon and a new owner can finish the job. Hate to see this as an abandoned hulk for years to come.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 5:49 PM
build awesome buildings

As for the Bourse, I think the biggest issue is less what's inside and more what's outside - a pretty terrible lack of signage. You really have to know that there is a food hall inside this building - which sits back from the street, looks dark when peering into the vestibule, and could easily be mistaken for a civic building instead of a place to eat. It's going to be very tough to get folks passing by to stop in if it's not clear that there are even options available. I'm not advocating for gross vinyl signs along Independence Mall, but there needs to be more calling attention to its presence.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 6:20 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20231116.html

Clark strikes again on his way out. Interestingly this could affect a lot of PHA projects in Sharswood in particular. Admittedly I'd like to see contextual development in North Philly where the extant housing stock is often quite beautiful, but I don't think that even guarantees that, and this will likely make housing more expensive, especially because this includes Girard (again) and Ridge

Quote:
City Council President Darrell L. Clarke’s efforts to place strict new controls on construction continued Thursday, as a new overlay limiting building heights on residentially zoned land and banning roof decks in swathes of North Philadelphia unanimously passed City Council.

The bill affects an area defined as the “Brewerytown-Sharswood/Celestial Community,” which stretches from Cecil B. Moore Avenue to the north and Poplar Street to the south, and from Fairmount Park east to Ridge Avenue and 19th Street.

It requires that the maximum height allowed be equal to the tallest building on any abutting lot. If there is no building on an abutting lot, the limit will be 35 feet, or “a height equal to the majority of the buildings existing within that block.”

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 7:00 PM

Just noticed that equipment is finally on site at 2621 Frankford Avenue. Let’s hope that project will begin soon! The 2600 block of Frankford Ave is the last block in Fishtown/East Kensington that is largely untouched by development.

I’m also seeing new construction on the 2700 block, which is truly Kensington!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 7:12 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Just noticed that equipment is finally on site at 2621 Frankford Avenue. Let’s hope that project will begin soon! The 2600 block of Frankford Ave is the last block in Fishtown/East Kensington that is largely untouched by development.

I’m also seeing new construction on the 2700 block, which is truly Kensington!
That would be huge to see that moving - and was the work on the 2700 block north or south of the tracks?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:06 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post

Clark strikes again on his way out. Interestingly this could affect a lot of PHA projects in Sharswood in particular. Admittedly I'd like to see contextual development in North Philly where the extant housing stock is often quite beautiful, but I don't think that even guarantees that, and this will likely make housing more expensive, especially because this includes Girard (again) and Ridge
I'll play devils advocate for this for a second,

So on one hand I understand his reasoning for banning roof decks in N Philly, this would be to stop developers from coming in and building the Yuppie special, 3 story row with a roof deck priced at 400k+

However, it's also limiting the fact that Black home owners can purchase a home or improve their home and build a roof deck, People of color deserve nice things too, a roof deck, and dog park should not just be for white neighborhoods.

Now on to another point, Clark has a reasoning for his thought process however it should be noted that poor communities are not poor because of a new construction home with a roof deck, and Xing them out of an area will not help the area, good paying jobs will do that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Does anyone know what's going on at the apartment building on the NE corner of 16th and Spruce? It was a fully occupied building until they decided to completely renovate it. There was construction going on there for at least a year and then they just seemed to pack up and leave months ago. The building has more graffiti on it every time I pass and now has "boner 4 ever" style graffiti going down from the top stories. Really bad.

Inky saw your question and got right on that: https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20231117.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 1:50 PM
Chris

Quote:

It appears this overlay includes the pocket of Brewerytown with new 4-5 story buildings (31st & Master area). So no more apartment buildings in that area, or are there workarounds for that pocket?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Inky saw your question and got right on that: https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20231117.html
Haha, just saw the article this morning - too funny of a coincidence!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
It appears this overlay includes the pocket of Brewerytown with new 4-5 story buildings (31st & Master area). So no more apartment buildings in that area, or are there workarounds for that pocket?
Im pretty sure this can only limit what you can build on a rowhouse sized lot zoned for single family.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:

This just seems crazy to me. How does it help long time residents in the neighborhood in any way? It seems like it would make it less attractive to develop there, making it less attractive to move to, driving down the value of properties (impacting long term residents especially), preventing the population growth, thus decreasing the increased tax base and probability of improved services in the neighborhood, and decreasing the viability of businesses there. Its just really sad and frustrating.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
This just seems crazy to me. How does it help long time residents in the neighborhood in any way? It seems like it would make it less attractive to develop there, making it less attractive to move to, driving down the value of properties (impacting long term residents especially), preventing the population growth, thus decreasing the increased tax base and probability of improved services in the neighborhood, and decreasing the viability of businesses there. Its just really sad and frustrating.
He's specifically trying to limit every one of those things. Or in other words, gentrification.

It's his thing.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 3:44 PM
PHL

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:38 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
They had it on the last rendering i saw over the summer, but i assume it's for the future rail yard overbuild since nothing is really there now. And mlk acting as another pedestrian bridge covers the trail on the west side of the river. Definitely would be needed to tie into the bluff park that's part of the rail yard project. Or vision i guess i should say.

The locust bridge i thought was part of the original penn park plan too. It would be great if they actually do it.

Edit: found it in the 2008 connects plan (but looks like it tied into pine maybe vs locust)
PENN CONNECTS: A VISION FOR THE FuTuRE - UPenn Facilities https://facilities.upenn.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/pennconnectsavisionforthefuture_2006.pdf

https://www.sasaki.com/projects/univ...penn-connects/

LOVING THIS!
About time.
What a prize location

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 4:40 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

This may finally break me. You'll find me in one of those triangular grass dead areas, sans pants, yelling at cars.
NOT loving this

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
That would be huge to see that moving - and was the work on the 2700 block north or south of the tracks?
2621 is the old Woods Brothers lumber yard. Yes to 2700 Frankford ave is above Lehigh. Amazing driving East on Lehigh from Kensington seeing all the development being built.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 1:13 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 3:59 PM

Philadelphia's Center City District sees continued growth as businesses approach pre-pandemic levels

https://6abc.com/things-to-do-in-cen...dl51qtnhhw4q75

"Officials in Philadelphia's Center City District say growth in the neighborhood is approaching 2019 levels. This, as Philadelphia ranks fourth in the country in the average daily number of pedestrians downtown -- behind New York City, Chicago and Boston.
Action News has been going through some of the new data and found that foot traffic in the heart of Center City reached 83% of 2019 levels, while residents reached 126%.

That's seen as a huge deal for the recovery of the neighborhood after the pandemic.

The report also shows that more people are shopping, pedestrian volumes are up and jobs are continuing to rise."

Per the CCD's October retail report, retail occupancy is now at 84.5%, compared to 89% in 2019.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post
Philadelphia's Center City District sees continued growth as businesses approach pre-pandemic levels

https://6abc.com/things-to-do-in-cen...dl51qtnhhw4q75

"Officials in Philadelphia's Center City District say growth in the neighborhood is approaching 2019 levels. This, as Philadelphia ranks fourth in the country in the average daily number of pedestrians downtown -- behind New York City, Chicago and Boston.
Action News has been going through some of the new data and found that foot traffic in the heart of Center City reached 83% of 2019 levels, while residents reached 126%.

That's seen as a huge deal for the recovery of the neighborhood after the pandemic.

The report also shows that more people are shopping, pedestrian volumes are up and jobs are continuing to rise."

Per the CCD's October retail report, retail occupancy is now at 84.5%, compared to 89% in 2019.
It's nice to see local media saying something positive about Philadelphia for once.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 5:03 PM

Good to see movement on this:

Quote:
What’s to come is a years long, $550M project (up from about $400 million previously) that will cover just about every area of the station imaginable. The plans from lead developers Plenary Infrastructure Philadelphia have five main focus areas:

State of Good Repair, to catch up on long-overdue maintenance.
Station Operations Consolidation, to update front and back of house services.
Station Retail, to update and modernize the food and beverage offerings.
Corporate Offices, to create a more efficient workspace for Amtrak offices.
Market Street Plaza Expansion, to build on the success of the Porch.
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ngs-price-tag/

It'd be cool if this became something like a rtm west. The bourse has had a rough time, but this might be a better location for something like that. Although wasn't something planned for the bulletin building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development