HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 2:12 PM

Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschin2 View Post
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._warehous.html

man it would be great to see that huge blighted lot finally have something built on it...
I've never been to a Costco, but I'd LOOOVE to have one all the same...I've been a de facto Sam's club member since birth so i'm all for it.

I just don't want it to be some ugly, generic looking warehouse sitting at the back of the parking lot with nothing but parking lot in between it and Carrollton, which it sounds like is the current rendering (and exactly what Sams did on Airline).

Direct quote from article:

" The store would sit alone on the property with about 700 parking spaces."

If they could throw some palm trees scattered through the parking lot and maybe some retail / coffee shops / hell even like a Chili's or something (and i'm not a fan of chain restaurants but they have their place and the city doesn't have any of them) in the front of the lot to break up the monotony...that'd be much better.

Let's avoid Sam's on Airline and i'm good to go with it :

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sams+c...21.96,,0,-3.61

Weirdest thing ever by the way....try to streetview Sams Club on googlemaps and the ONLY block in the ENTIRE area that is not "streetviewed" is Sams Club...conspiracy to hide ugly stores? I think so...haha

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 5:31 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Right, but so is 1031 Canal, and the VCPORA are the main antagonists for the project. Even though the building is outside their jurisdiction, they are concerned about the "tout ensemble" affecting the French Quarter. They should be just as concerned then for this Iberville Redevelopment.
Not intending to be argumentative, it's my understanding the official Quarter boundaries are the Mississippi River, Canal, N. Rampart and Esplanade. If so the 1031 Canal, which sits on the "southeast" corner of Canal & N. Rampart is in the FQ.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 5:44 PM

Fq

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Not intending to be argumentative, it's my understanding the official Quarter boundaries are the Mississippi River, Canal, N. Rampart and Esplanade. If so the 1031 Canal, which sits on the "southeast" corner of Canal & N. Rampart is in the FQ.
It's cool, but no. The first block of the french quarter off of Canal is technically considered downtown though there are height restrictions on Canal, unlike Poydras, so that there is some degree of building sloping upwards from the quarter to Poydras, albeit rather quickly.

It'd be rather odd if the FQ side of canal was limited to 3 story buildlings while the downtown side could have 50+ story buildings.

Someone else could explain the reasons or history behind it better, but the 100 Block of Rampart, Burgundy, Dauphine, Bourbon, Royal, Chartres, Decatur is considered downtown and thus outside of the VCC and VCPORA though they're tyring to claim that they should influence it because it's close by.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
It's cool, but no. The first block of the french quarter off of Canal is technically considered downtown though there are height restrictions on Canal, unlike Poydras, so that there is some degree of building sloping upwards from the quarter to Poydras, albeit rather quickly.

It'd be rather odd if the FQ side of canal was limited to 3 story buildlings while the downtown side could have 50+ story buildings.

Someone else could explain the reasons or history behind it better, but the 100 Block of Rampart, Burgundy, Dauphine, Bourbon, Royal, Chartres, Decatur is considered downtown and thus outside of the VCC and VCPORA though they're tyring to claim that they should influence it because it's close by.
The short answer to both of these is that the French Quarter (as defined by amendment to the Louisiana Constitution) is Esplanade Ave, Rampart St, Iberville St, and the Mississippi River. Originally the FQ was in the shape of a pentagram, and the exterior fortifications never reached where Canal Street is today. As the city expanded, the block between Canal, Iberville, and Common Streets remained grass for the animals to roam (the City's Common). As the city continued to grow, the State Capital was moved to Canal Street and the street grid was squared off on Canal Street.

"Downtown" is all the land considered to be downriver of Canal Street. So that includes the FQ, Marigny, Bywater, 7th and 9th wards. "Uptown" is everything upriver of Canal Street, including the CBD, Warehouse District, Tulane/Loyola Universities. This is why in NOLA the areas where there is skyscrapers isn't called downtown, it's called the Central Business District... because it's technically uptown.

Just as an aside, Orleans Street in the FQ used to be the dividing line. Streets downriver were "North X Street", and "South X Street", but around 1900 the whole city's address system was redone and the addresses were made to start at 100 at Canal Street instead of Orleans Street, as they had for the first previous 200 years. This eliminated the need for North/South Bourbon Street, etc.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 7:10 PM
on the south side

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post

Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The short answer to both of these is that the French Quarter (as defined by amendment to the Louisiana Constitution) is Esplanade Ave, Rampart St, Iberville St, and the Mississippi River. Originally the FQ was in the shape of a pentagram, and the exterior fortifications never reached where Canal Street is today. As the city expanded, the block between Canal, Iberville, and Common Streets remained grass for the animals to roam (the City's Common). As the city continued to grow, the State Capital was moved to Canal Street and the street grid was squared off on Canal Street.

"Downtown" is all the land considered to be downriver of Canal Street. So that includes the FQ, Marigny, Bywater, 7th and 9th wards. "Uptown" is everything upriver of Canal Street, including the CBD, Warehouse District, Tulane/Loyola Universities. This is why in NOLA the areas where there is skyscrapers isn't called downtown, it's called the Central Business District... because it's technically uptown.

Just as an aside, Orleans Street in the FQ used to be the dividing line. Streets downriver were "North X Street", and "South X Street", but around 1900 the whole city's address system was redone and the addresses were made to start at 100 at Canal Street instead of Orleans Street, as they had for the first previous 200 years. This eliminated the need for North/South Bourbon Street, etc.
Awesome

Here is a map that shows the pentagram: Link

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 9:46 PM

Georgia data services company to expand in New Orleans

A Georgia data hosting company will expand into the New Orleans market, where it says there’s next to no competition after Hurricane Katrina dispersed similar services.

Fogo Data Centers, based in Carrollton, Ga., says it will spend $5 million to outfit a 22,000-square-foot space at the New Orleans Exchange Centre, the former Chevron building at 935 Gravier St.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...n-new-orleans/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpatel View Post
Awesome

Here is a map that shows the pentagram: Link
Correct. The street labeled on the map as "Custom-House Street" is now Iberville Street. Upriver of Iberville, there are only a few slivers of block. (the diagonal line is still reflected in the property lines today).

Technically, the block between Barracks and Esplanade is also not a part of the original city, but it was the very first area to be developed outside of the original blocks. It was added as part of the Faubourg Marigny in 1805, and the development there greatly resembles that of the French Quarter, while the block between Iberville and Canal does not.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Georgia data services company to expand in New Orleans

A Georgia data hosting company will expand into the New Orleans market, where it says there’s next to no competition after Hurricane Katrina dispersed similar services.

Fogo Data Centers, based in Carrollton, Ga., says it will spend $5 million to outfit a 22,000-square-foot space at the New Orleans Exchange Centre, the former Chevron building at 935 Gravier St.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...n-new-orleans/
Exchange Center is already a huge success IMO. This is a model for what we need more of in downtown N.O.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:10 AM

New OPP breaks ground...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
Exchange Center is already a huge success IMO. This is a model for what we need more of in downtown N.O.
Yeah my mom assigned me to invest about 5k of her personal money into something, and that was one of the options I was considering. Didn't realize how big-time they are, the application process has a question about the size of revenue of the company investing and the lowest level on the drop-down is 1 million.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
New OPP breaks ground...

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ound_on_n.html

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:23 AM

Champions Square

This was Champions Square today. Looks like construction it is done for the most part. I can't wait to see the Superdome at night once the exterior LED lights are finished being installed, by the end of September.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 7:17 PM
-

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...-central-city/

SoFab Museum will move to Central City

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
Baltimore

I am very shocked Costco is coming to New Orleans. My ex is a regional manager for the company. They talked about a store opening in Slidell before the hurricane. Costco does not like to build just one store far away from their current stores. It is too expensive to have just one store in a state. I was told that if Costco ever comes to S. Louisiana they would have to build several locations to be cost effective (distribution, management, and inventory).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
I am very shocked Costco is coming to New Orleans. My ex is a regional manager for the company. They talked about a store opening in Slidell before the hurricane. Costco does not like to build just one store far away from their current stores. It is too expensive to have just one store in a state. I was told that if Costco ever comes to S. Louisiana they would have to build several locations to be cost effective (distribution, management, and inventory).
Wade Ragas made mention to your point in the article. He said that Costco would need to build a distribution center and have other stores to make it worth it so it is a big decision on their part. Maybe they are planning to open other stores in LA and MS and not just this one on Carrollton.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 4:22 AM
Ex Houstonian

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you guys know that I just moved to Louisiana to Lafayette. I plan on eventually moving to New Orleans after my job training is done in 6 months so hopefully I can meet up with some of you soon as I plan on coming to NOLA in a couple weeks. Also, I plan on making tons of threads on the great state of Louisiana like I did with Arkansas and covering the whole state over the years Ill be here. So far, from what Ive seen, western LA is pretty awesome and full of culture. Unlike Arkansas, all the small towns Ive seen seem to have well preserved and lively downtowns and all have amazing Catholic churches. Im finally getting my book Ive been making on all the towns and scenery of Arkansas published by a publisher out of Little Rock and plan on doing the same for Louisiana, but it will take years to visit all the towns, swamps, and cities of this state and I cant wait to see them in all their glory or lack there of.

First photo I took in Louisiana since I moved here and I plan on taking many many more! Sorry to have an off topic post but I cant wait to explore this state and NOLA.

Last edited by photoLith; Sep 3, 2011 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you guys know that I just moved to Louisiana to Lafayette. I plan on eventually moving to New Orleans after my job training is done in 6 months so hopefully I can meet up with some of you soon as I plan on coming to NOLA in a couple weeks. Also, I plan on making tons of threads on the great state of Louisiana like I did with Arkansas and covering the whole state over the years Ill be here. So far, from what Ive seen, western LA is pretty awesome and full of culture. Unlike Arkansas, all the small towns Ive seen seem to have well preserved and lively downtowns and all have amazing Catholic churches. Im finally getting my book Ive been making on all the towns and scenery of Arkansas published by a publisher out of Little Rock and plan on doing the same for Louisiana, but it will take years to visit all the towns, swamps, and cities of this state and I cant wait to see them in all their glory or lack there of.

First photo I took in Louisiana since I moved here and I plan on taking many many more! Sorry to have an off topic post but I cant wait to explore this state and NOLA.
I remember you.

This is the only New Orleans thread on this site I believe.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
TL;DR

Welcome to the Pelican State, photo.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 6:21 PM

Another rendering of the new OPP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations