HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Bishop Grandin can be made into a freeway easily. Just look at what Calgary did with the Glenmore Trail. It have even less space to manoever with, and now it's pretty much a freeway between the new ring road and the far east end of the city. It would be simple to build flyovers/diamond overpasses on any given interchange.
I’ll go even further and say that the route 90/Bishop/Lag/Chief Peguis ring road can be made into a freeway if there was a need for it with the kenaston stretch form Polo to Outlet being the only questionable part of the route.

However, any sort of freeway must include implementation of bike lanes AND rapid transit, while getting rid of all the stroads on Pembina, Portage, Main, Waverley, McPhillips, Regent and Henderson. Convert all those roads to streets with a 50 km/h speed limit.

Ideally there would be a perimeter freeway and a route 90 freeway both serving as ring roads to reduce traffic through the inner city and making the area easier for pedestrians while smoothening out traffic flow.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 1:55 PM

Further to the North Perimeter wackos. They're complaints are just bullshit. They complain about no access. The Province recently upgraded the Grassmere #8 intersection. Maybe they want a service road in from there.

There's access both north and south of 101. They just want it direct to their door.

The one guy complains about getting access to the snow clearing equipment. Bro that problem exists now and forever.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 2:05 PM

Ignoring these cranks is an option. MI should give it a try.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's access both north and south of 101. They just want it direct to their door.

The one guy complains about getting access to the snow clearing equipment. Bro that problem exists now and forever.
The biggest issue is between Pipeline and Hwy 7. Several of the businesses need access for fairly heavy commerical trucks. The current gravel access road from Pipeline is not suitable for the volume and weight of traffic those sites have especially in the spring thaw season.

The only really acceptable solution to close that right in/right out access would be a paved access road to Pipeline built to withstanding the commercial truck traffic.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The biggest issue is between Pipeline and Hwy 7. Several of the businesses need access for fairly heavy commerical trucks. The current gravel access road from Pipeline is not suitable for the volume and weight of traffic those sites have especially in the spring thaw season.

The only really acceptable solution to close that right in/right out access would be a paved access road to Pipeline built to withstanding the commercial truck traffic.
That's probably why they said they would maintain the RIRO until 2025. They don't want to pony up the money to upgrade the service road to pipeline so they appeased the business owners and maintained an unsafe access instead. Too bad they couldn't use their unspent 60 mil from highways on that, or even better, a diamond at pipeline to really do something properly.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 4:47 PM

Upgrading of service roads like that is standard practice. MI has been in the business of paving the service roads for an equivalent distance when removing access points.

To note. MI is still reviewing the North Perimeter safety plan IIRC. MI has been removing median openings. Not necessarily the access points yet. There are a lot of RIRO's on Perimeter right now.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 4:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
That's probably why they said they would maintain the RIRO until 2025. They don't want to pony up the money to upgrade the service road to pipeline so they appeased the business owners and maintained an unsafe access instead. Too bad they couldn't use their unspent 60 mil from highways on that, or even better, a diamond at pipeline to really do something properly.
This is what bothers me the most, money sitting idly while fairly no brainer projects are begging for a buck or two
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
This is what bothers me the most, money sitting idly while fairly no brainer projects are begging for a buck or two
Exactly what I’m thinking! Look at the aimes rd service road and the st Mary’s interchange. I read the article it says they can go ahead with the expropriation at st Mary’s and the perimeter. Where the heck is the construction…

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 11:57 PM

Just as I was typing my previous post I found this.. you have got to be kidding me.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...575637151.html

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Just as I was typing my previous post I found this.. you have got to be kidding me.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...575637151.html
This is why Winnipegs infrastructure is not better than reginas or other smaller cities. I guess that means work on the south perimeter won't be happening.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This is why Winnipegs infrastructure is not better than reginas or other smaller cities. I guess that means work on the south perimeter won't be happening.
It definitely still is. It’s just taking astronomically long…

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:12 PM

I don't really understand what they're talking about regarding no infrastructure with those north Perimeter closures.

Projects like St. Marys take time, even once they are approved. It's not ready to go once the announcement is made.

We're living in the microcosm of waiting. For a 3 year project, 1 month of delay makes no difference. The RFP stage was 6 months. Those 6 months, the consortiums are working on design. They each design the interchange to get their price down. Innovating, makes small changes. In the end, that gives the province the best cost.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Projects like St. Marys take time, even once they are approved. It's not ready to go once the announcement is made.

We're living in the microcosm of waiting. For a 3 year project, 1 month of delay makes no difference. The RFP stage was 6 months. Those 6 months, the consortiums are working on design. They each design the interchange to get their price down. Innovating, makes small changes. In the end, that gives the province the best cost.
And the first winter's work will mostly be staging, clearing tress and moving earth from my understanding. Stuff that shouldn't delay the real start date of any serious time-bound items like concrete work. I'm sure their expected completion date will stay the same.

Yet here we are raging on the internet that we don't see the bulldozers and scoopers moving dirt.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:21 PM

I get that it takes time, but man... it's just announcement after announcement after announcement. When was the last time something actually happened on the Perimeter? 101/59 from 2015-18? It's been over three years since that interchange opened (a rebuild, not even a new one) and there has still not been any movement on anything significant since then.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 5:35 PM
There is always a way

I think that at this point, if we don’t have literal bulldozers moving earth and building some interchange on the perimeter at all times we are falling way way behind
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that at this point, if we don’t have literal bulldozers moving earth and building some interchange on the perimeter at all times we are falling way way behind
Kind of, because we are so far behind. Taking leisurely 4 year breaks between projects might have been OK in the early 80s, but the need is a little more dire today.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:29 PM

The NDP were making announcement after announcement. Then that all changed obviously.

Now they're at least on a path. We've got the south perimeter study done. St. Mary's starting now. Then McGillivray. Then seems St. Anne's may be next.

Also the new Floodway bridge is U/C on 59N. That's a big project.

Since they've started so far behind. It will take decades, as we now, to catch up.

I don't think the Province can afford much more than the current pace. Basically one interchange project and one large bridge project around Winnipeg. Maybe they can get to interchange projects going in the near future. Based on the NDP's outrage re: north perimeter, they must be chomping at the bit to spend money.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
The NDP were making announcement after announcement. Then that all changed obviously.

Now they're at least on a path. We've got the south perimeter study done. St. Mary's starting now. Then McGillivray. Then seems St. Anne's may be next.

Also the new Floodway bridge is U/C on 59N. That's a big project.

Since they've started so far behind. It will take decades, as we now, to catch up.

I don't think the Province can afford much more than the current pace. Basically one interchange project and one large bridge project around Winnipeg. Maybe they can get to interchange projects going in the near future. Based on the NDP's outrage re: north perimeter, they must be chomping at the bit to spend money.
I really think the key is federal funding.
They should be putting up a good share to upgrade such an important bypass on the #1

MB really needs to get better at hustling the feds for some $$

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 2:46 PM

Manitoba and Winnipeg are the absolute worst at Federal funding. For some reason. It's ridiculous.

Partially because we don't have a lot of money to match funds. But we can be doing a much better job in planning and getting more funds, and using it wisely. Not just highways, but everything.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 3:02 PM

It didn't help that we had a premier who was morally opposed to taking money from Ottawa. Were there any provinces that left as much money on the table as we did? We sure showed Trudeau...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan