HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Hypothetically, yes. Future RT plans all follow rail or abandoned rail lines, except for on street operations of course. To be determined will be the river crossing to Transcona, either following the route of the CNR high line, or more likely as part of a realigned Higgins river crossing to replace the Louis Bridge. Once across the river there can be 3 branches, east north and south.

This summer's Jubilee Overpass refurbishing had little to do with RT, other than ensuring it would be ready for use by RT buses. It was planned for the near future though. The BRT overpass will be separate.
Ah, thanks.

Yes, I agree with the note re: the east side of the city...that is one hypothetical future line that they gotta get right simply because of how the red river separates it from downtown in a way the west side isn't separated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yes they did, but I think that they will eventually turn that into a rapid transit line, alongside the bike path. I mean, it's the only sensible and logical thing to place a line there, and use the bike path to reserve land for it.
yeah, that makes sense. I wonder if they we have to re-adjust the bike path though, to make room for both...cause there has to be space for a north and south RT section

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:28 PM
What could go wrong?

You have to remember that the Kildonan Greenway bike path only cost slightly over a million dollars. Not that much if you had to tear it out to put in a $500 million dollar LRT line and realign the bike path afterwords. I think of it as a inexpensive, well used, much better looking than grungy rail tracks, placeholder for future LRT.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 2:30 PM

People will scream and wail when you propose to remove their precious bike path (even if it will be replaced)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 3:21 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Humphrey.Appleby View Post
People will scream and wail when you propose to remove their precious bike path (even if it will be replaced)
I would actually propose to get rid of Raleigh in its entirety.

Other than being a shortcut for some areas, it is not really necessary for the majority of the businesses and neighbourhoods adjacent to it. The few businesses that have no other access other than along Raleigh could easily be expropriated or have a driveway built in as a part of the larger plan.

There really is no need to touch much of the current bike path.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:31 PM

Yeah those two roads always confused me when i would travel there.

Then again im not too familiar with that area. If Raleigh can be removed easily, then that would really help potential RT corridors.

The one thing I always think about though, is that RT corridors need to be as isolated from the road as possible, with underpsases or overpasses at intersections. If RT followed intersections, there wouldnt be much of a point

but then this goes back to what we already talked about a few pages ago

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 6:54 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

The only major issues I see would be the loading dock access to Polar Windows (Raleigh at Kimberley) and access to Royal Sports.

That said, they both could be bought out and you would have an ideal location for a park-and-ride station.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 3:50 AM

Remember that Raleigh will be closed down on either side of the Chief Peguis Trail.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 1:29 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgcityone View Post
Remember that Raleigh will be closed down on either side of the Chief Peguis Trail.
Yes. However that is only a small section on the far north portion.

I am saying the entire street should be removed and replaced with an LRT right of way.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:36 PM

^Yeah. The added benefit is removing those extremely confusing intersections.

What would be cheaper for RT? And overpass or and underpass for an intersection?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 6:43 AM

I would think overpasses would be more logical. Just look at how existing underpasses flood during rain storms,

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 10:37 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Sorry about not putting it on the thread, but 382 pages is too long for me to read.

Any additional thoughts? Go ahead and comment haha. Could use others opinions!
Not bad really .
The green line to Transcona would be a waste of money though since it doesn't go to any particular destination (nobody lives along most of the route and it ends before actually reaching Transcona)
The line to Headingley isn't feasible either to be honest ... at least not if it actually goes to Headingley .
There's no service in East Kildonan too which , really , is one of the best potential routes in the city .

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 12:39 AM

http://transportation.speakupwinnipeg.com/

if you read their projection there, they have a "preliminary" phase 1 & 2 RT plan set up...

since speakupwinnipeg is accessed from the city's official website (Its how I found it) although it is notthing official, they have some great studies and stuff to give people a general idea

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Not bad really .
The green line to Transcona would be a waste of money though since it doesn't go to any particular destination (nobody lives along most of the route and it ends before actually reaching Transcona)
The line to Headingley isn't feasible either to be honest ... at least not if it actually goes to Headingley .
There's no service in East Kildonan too which , really , is one of the best potential routes in the city .
I should re-edit my map a little bit, actually. Will upload a new one later

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I should re-edit my map a little bit, actually. Will upload a new one later
yeah, maybe check out the transport pdf @ speakup winnipeg (i linked it above) and use that as a template

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
yeah, maybe check out the transport pdf @ speakup winnipeg (i linked it above) and use that as a template
If this is what we have to look forward to (good lord they didn't even define the alignment of routes!) then start getting used to Quality Corridors. Gotta love how that sounds... Quality Corridors. 3 Cheers for mediocrity!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:13 AM

^ LOL I know what you mean.

Wishful thinking, would wish that this city just went all out for RT and just did something, did it once, and never worry about it again

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
^ LOL I know what you mean.

Wishful thinking, would wish that this city just went all out for RT and just did something, did it once, and never worry about it again
anyhow since we have nothing to lose but Quality Corridors, here's another option. Loops to maximize coverage and capture most heavy hitting employment centres (e.g. hospitals, shopping malls). This plan also eliminates some roads; making them transit & pedestrian & cyclist malls. Cheers!

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...8f0d27a41&z=11

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 6:07 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Surprise View Post
anyhow since we have nothing to lose but Quality Corridors, here's another option. Loops to maximize coverage and capture most heavy hitting employment centres (e.g. hospitals, shopping malls). This plan also eliminates some roads; making them transit & pedestrian & cyclist malls. Cheers!

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...8f0d27a41&z=11

if only we could afford that. i'd like lrt all over, but knowing winnipeg, the cost of that would make shit hit the financial fan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 6:34 AM
Transit Nerd

Blue BRT 2017 - Moray thru Downtown to Transcona

LRT - Phase I (Jubilee to Downtown), Phase II (South Extension to Bison), Phase III 2017 (West Expansion to the Airport) and Phase IV 2022 (South Extension to Waverley West)

Green BRT 2016 - St Vital thru Downtown to East Kildolnan

- Abolish current 60, 62 and University routes, redistributing buses to St James and Maples
- Service to CentrePort?
- Headingley to Unicity shuttle
- Waverley West bus routes
- Fare Free Zone for Downtown BRT and LRT, honor system enforced by transit officers with huge fines!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

RED LRT - Tunnel to Balmoral/U of W (2013), with stations at: Portage Place/HBC, Hydro, Cityplace, Winnipeg Square and Union Station. Tunnel ending at St. Matthews, which becomes surface LRT towards the Airport (2017).

BLUE BRT: Up Academy, with stations along Maryland/Sherbrooke. Up Broadway with a station at Balmoral. Up Memorial, with a Legislature stop. Then use St. Marys (Eastbound) and York (Westbound). Two stations with one at the Convention Centre. Driveby Union Station, with a CMHR stop, which would then go on into St. Boniface with a stop at Rue St. Joseph

GREEN BRT: Combined stop at Osborne, going on to Hargrave station, then going down Broadway to Main. Union Station, Richardson Station, Exchange Station and City Hall station.

ALL OF DOWNTOWN SECTION FREEFARE!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:41 AM

First Post and all...

However, I'm sort of disappointed how most of these plans absolutely avoid the bulk of the North End.

Maybe it's nicer to think of endless loops clustered in the exchange, but some decent coverage for potential peak uses has to be considered.

Last edited by Rabbitson; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan