HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisken View Post
They've started taking one of the cranes down!
good news , would love to see what a snow storm or rain storm
looks like from inside the epic station before the final roof is done.

also my computer crashed and I lost all Links and passwords
could somebody re-post the links for the Web Cams. Thanks.
even thou I had Norton Suite running my Win7 still got sick.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Interesting how the trees furthest north have already lost their leaves while the trees to the south are still in full colored regalia. The survivor tree hasn't even started to change colors yet.
I thought the Survivor Tree was further up north on the site ... at least that's how I remember it ... just for reference , would someone point out exactly where it is ... for some reason, I can't get Google maps or Google Earth to work right on my phone ...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyinMiami View Post
I thought the Survivor Tree was further up north on the site ... at least that's how I remember it ... just for reference , would someone point out exactly where it is ... for some reason, I can't get Google maps or Google Earth to work right on my phone ...
It's just to the west of the South pool. Note the red arrow.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
It's just to the west of the South pool. Note the red arrow.

Thanks for pointing it out, Drumz ... I greatly appreciate it ...,

Old Posted Nov 24, 2014, 9:38 PM

The northeast quadrant of the memorial plaza will open in the not-too-distant future... They've already poured all of the cement, and the new fence line will follow the bollards along Greenwich and Fulton streets.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 6:46 PM
BANNED

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...path/14016139/

NYC transit hub: Bold statement or boondoggle?

Rick Hampson, USA TODAY

Quote:
--NEW YORK — The saga of what may be the city's biggest boondoggle, or what could be its greatest public building since Grand Central Terminal, or both, began at a news conference 10 years ago.

...'Wow' is the first word that's just got to come to your mind," said the mayor, Michael Bloomberg. It would be more than a station, said the governor, George Pataki, it would be "a tribute to those we lost on Sept. 11.''

A decade later, however, the Trade Center Transit Hub has taken twice as much money and time to build as promised. Design changes have made it look more like a stegosaurus than a bird, and it's been vilified by a legion of kibitzers as a political self-indulgence, an architectural ego trip and a money pit — the world's most expensive subway station.

The Hub's neighbors — the 9/11 Memorial, the 9/11 Museum, the nation's-tallest Freedom Tower (now One World Trade Center) — are finished, despite their travails; the Hub is a year from completion.

But what's most striking about the Hub is not the fact that it's five years overdue and $2 billion (100%) over budget; that its funds (almost $3 billion of them federal) could have done more to improve mass transit; that its wings have been clipped.

--The Transit Hub was scheduled to open in 2009 and cost what the Daily News called "a whopping" $2 billion. But the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owned the site, was building a monument for the ages.

"I don't think we can afford not to be grand," said Bloomberg (who as mayor had no direct stake in the project). "What would people say 50, 100 years from now if they look back and thought just because we had a short-term financial problem that we jeopardized our whole future?"

Over the next four years, however, almost everything that could go wrong did

--The cost changed.

Because of the delays, the design changes and the difficulty of constructing an elaborate building on a complex site, the cost gradually escalated from $2 billion at the unveiling to more than $3.9 billion. Meanwhile, the movable roof wings and the memorial plaza skylights were scratched. The mezzanine, a span designed to be free of columns, now had four.

Critics began to turn on the project. New York Post columnist Steve Cuozzo, an early admirer of Calatrava's design, went from declaring the project "ever more unmoored'' to "a catastrophe.''

Nicolai Ouroussoff, the New York Times architecture critic from 2004 to 2011, (who in 2005 said the transit hall "may end up as one of the most glorious public spaces in New York'') now described it as "hollow at its core.''

For these critics, the disparity between the Hub's extravagant design and limited purpose is a pyrrhic victory of form over function.

For $4 billion, the project provides no new track or station stops. It doesn't even serve that many riders. The PATH terminal's 50,000 daily passengers are fewer than those handled by many city subway stations, and 650,000 fewer than Grand Central's.

And, unlike most rail station concourses, the Transit Hall is far from the rails. Transit users still must do a lot of walking to reach other stations.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 9:22 PM
weidncol

Actually the skylights can move. The media needs to start getting their shit right.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 3:07 PM

you gotta wonder what $4 billion could have done for the city in a way that actually improves people's lives--how much farther along could the east side subway line be with that kind of money? i have a hard time not seeing this as a gigantic hubristic waste.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 5:39 PM

We cannot bring back those killed on 9/11, but we can honour their memory at the WTC site. And it will draw many, many visitors for decades to come, for those worried about the $ being spent on PATH. There will be no other place in the world that evokes such a broad range of emotions, as it simultaneously functions as a workplace, transit stop, shopping mall, memorial, museum, observatory, park. This is not hubris, this is just the reality of the re-built WTC.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 6:28 PM

off subject does anyone know if they are going to bring the koenig sphere back to WTC site? where it belongs?.Thanks

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:06 PM
weidncol

^^ Nope, however there is a place west of the St. Nicolas Church on Liberty Park that can support if they change their minds.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Actually the skylights can move. The media needs to start getting their shit right.
Perhaps you should start reading more carefully. Calatrava initially proposed several skylights above PATH hall.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 11:27 PM

I wonder who (and what company) will be the first to shot a movie here. I wouldn't be surprised if someone already is applying for a permit.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:35 AM
Walk taker

^
PLEASE, someone tell me those chunky rectangles between the final spans of the transit hub aren't permanent.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:08 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Not sure what you mean.

More photos taken yesterday (December 1, 2014)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 12:34 AM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEss View Post
^
PLEASE, someone tell me those chunky rectangles between the final spans of the transit hub aren't permanent.
Yes they are permanent. They are light boxes as there will be concerts and the like hosted at the plazas around the Oculus. There's 2 sets of light boxes on the north side, 6 in each "set".

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
you gotta wonder what $4 billion could have done for the city in a way that actually improves people's lives--how much farther along could the east side subway line be with that kind of money? i have a hard time not seeing this as a gigantic hubristic waste.
Quote:
Even the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is developing and building the hub, conceded that it would have made other choices had it known 10 years ago what it knows now.

“We would not today prioritize spending $3.7 billion on the transit hub over other significant infrastructure needs,” Patrick J. Foye, the authority’s executive director, said in October.

The current, temporary trade center station serves an average of 46,000 commuters riding PATH trains to and from New Jersey every weekday, only 10,000 more than use the unassuming 33rd Street PATH terminal in Midtown Manhattan. By contrast, 208,000 Metro-North Railroad commuters stream through Grand Central Terminal daily.

In fact, the hub, or at least its winged “Oculus” pavilion, could turn out to be more of a high-priced mall than a transportation nexus, attracting more shoppers than commuters. The company operating the mall, Westfield Corporation, promises in a promotional video that it will be “the most alluring retail landmark in the world.”
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/03...referrer=&_r=0

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Yes they are permanent. They are light boxes as there will be concerts and the like hosted at the plazas around the Oculus. There's 2 sets of light boxes on the north side, 6 in each "set".
what? What is your source for this? They look terrible.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:40 PM
weidncol

I have multiple sources, but here's a picture to prove it better.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
what? What is your source for this? They look terrible.
They are permanent. Given that these devices weren't included in the last architectural prints addendum, I assume these are part of many modifications requested by Westfield during the beginning of 2014.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture