HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:57 AM

Mostly sunny and dry. I think there may have been some light precipitation in the morning.

Wednesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 15 C, the low was 9 C.

Cambie/Downtown, Vancouver, May 29 '24, my pics

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:38 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 30, 2024 at 9:20 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 11:37 AM

Beautiful start to the day. Currently sun and cloud and 19 at 9am. Highs today near 25, humidex pushing 30.

A brief taste of summer.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:07 PM

Thunderstorms the past few days, now it's cool. Yesterday only made it up to 19 degrees, and this morning we dropped all the way down to 5.5. Most of May has been quite summery, the temperature hadn't dropped below the mid-teens for a couple weeks until this morning.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

12C and sunny in Moncton at 11 AM, going up to 21C this afternoon.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:35 PM

Very pleasant day, albeit cooler than average. Currently 17, going up to 21, allegedly. I left my window open to cool down my room last night forgetting was going to drop to the single digits, woke up freezing. Looks like we bottomed out around 8 celsius.

A nice seasonal weekend upcoming. 23 and sunny Friday, 22 and sunny Saturday, 22 and a small chance of rain Sunday. We could creep up into the high 20's during the middle of the week.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:03 PM

26 (humidex 29) at 3:30pm. This is the warmest temperature recorded in May at my weather station, though this is only the 3rd May with data so far.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Let's fucking go.

Also, it's my weekend! I'm participating in a four-day work week pilot project A handful of businesses here have done it already to rave reviews from employees/managers, so... we'll see.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 30, 2024 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 9:48 PM

Beautiful day at Frontenac PP. Nothing but sunshine.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 11:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Cool rainbow-y thing.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:47 AM

Well just like how I was wondering if all the rain in April lead to so many overgrown lawns these days, I'm wondering how my hedge just grew so damn fast. I can't recall the growth ever being this explosive. It wasn't long ago that it looked fine, like it didn't need a cut. Then yesterday I was looking at it and thought man, this thing is out of control. There's a hibiscus tree or something at the back of it that has grown crazy high too. Never seen it like that.

Spent at least an hour and half dealing with the trim. Looks nice and tidy now.

And no matter how much you save by buying corded, don't do it! What a PITA it is to fight the cord to perform functions like this. I used to trim this thing twice a year, but last year was four and for all I know it could be double that this year. It's been serving me well for eight years now though.

My blower/vacuum is also corded and I bought it used in virtrually new condition several years ago for $40. I have abused it and it's still going strong. But it really is a pain to drag around that cord.

Pole chainsaw is also corded but that's like a once a year thing. The grass trimmer I inherited was also corded but two years ago I bought a battery one on sale for $80 and it is exponentially more convenient.

Also, I was just at the end of my driveway and noticed an Easter chocolate egg. Well damn, it turns out it was a real bird egg. I had an Easter party in my front yard a couple of months ago but two months later for a chocolate egg to appear would have been odd.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 3:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

21C and sunny. Very dry. Dewpoint was about 0C the whole day.

Low of 8C this morning. Yep, a consequence of the dryness. Downtown stayed above 10C, has not had a single digits temperature since May 11th.

The warmspot was Gillam, MB at 28.8C.

The warmest low was Winnipeg (the Forks), MB at 15.2C.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:35 AM

Nice day. Dry and mostly sunny.

Thursday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 17 C, the low was 10 C.

Downtown/West End, Vancouver, May 30 '24, my pics

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 9:23 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Lovely morning. But overcast.

EDIT: Strikingly colder air starting pouring through my open windows a few minutes before the fog bank became visible rolling behind Scotia Plaza I guess that's the seabreeze Marty lives in perpetual fear of...

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 31, 2024 at 11:14 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 12:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, I've now been using Merlin for long enough to be able to confirm...

The weird bird sounds I heard, that sounded so unusual I was daydreaming about what exotic birds might've been blown in by a storm, or were shifting north due to climate change?

One of them is just one of the less common calls of the dark-eyed junco, which is one of the most common birds here - probably fourth after gulls, pigeons, and starlings.

And the other is the exceptionally rare... American robin.

Both of these I've managed to confirm by hearing the strange call, immediately whipping out the app, and then luckily recording the same call right away.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:21 PM

I didn't realize robins were rare over that way. They're so ubiquitous here. I like that as soon as they see you're about to water your lawn, they just camp themselves on the lawn waiting for worms and whatever to surface. I put out my sprinkler at 7:30 this morning and one of them was just hanging out under the arc of the spray looking for worms.

It's like observing gulls following a farmer's tractor. I see it up north all the time.

Also, I think robins are the birds most likely to build a nest close to people. Has happened at my family house, inlaws, BIL, etc. And the mother doesn't even care if you touch her chicks. She will sit there and watch you pet them. We used to give them our left over worms.

And they are the most likely chicks to find alone. We found one once. And three years ago the neighbour found one and kind of raised it. It would sit on your finger. And two years ago I witnessed a raccoon with something in its mouth on my driveway. Got closer and it was eating a robin chick.

Several years ago we even built two of these birdhouses. One for home and one for the cottage (let the kids paint it). No takers. They are now both at the cottage just fading away. Yet all the nests they made I've seen are on top of porch lights.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I didn't realize robins were rare over that way. They're so ubiquitous here.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well online.

This is worse than when I found a weird looking tree near a friend's place, and shared it here, hoping it was something cool that wasn't supposed to grow this far north.

And that was true, but in the opposite direction. Arctic treeline species.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton is actually at the fringe of the robin's year round range (which I find difficult to believe since we get so much snow here). In any event they are ridiculously common in the city (except overwinter).

13C and sunny in Moncton at 10 AM. The high will be 17C. A very pleasant day.

My favourite times of the year are late May-early June and late September-early October. Some briskness to the morning air, low humidity and pleasant afternoon temperatures.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
13C and sunny in Moncton at 10 AM. The high will be 17C. A very pleasant day.

My favourite times of the year are late May-early June and late September-early October. Some briskness to the morning air, low humidity and pleasant afternoon temperatures.
June - December is my happy time. When winter really sets in, and the snow actually stays on the ground, typically in early-mid January here, I hate it. And I continue hating it straight through our non-spring until that sudden lurch from late winter to early summer in mid-June.

A second blast of cold air has come in through my still-open windows. It's raining heavily but not windy so it isn't coming in the house. And it is still foggy too. So this second cold blast is on top of the other one. It's not reflected in temps at airport or my house yet, but I guarantee it is 5C or below, that breeze.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Sarcasm doesn't translate well online.

This is worse than when I found a weird looking tree near a friend's place, and shared it here, hoping it was something cool that wasn't supposed to grow this far north.

And that was true, but in the opposite direction. Arctic treeline species.
Lol. Seriously though, there's a lot of things members post that surprise me. Thought this was another. For example, when I asked as a new thread who uses the word "county" on a regular basis and multiple members didn't know there were places in Canada that had those. And I wasn't aware of some of the other names for administrative regions used in parts of the country.

As for animals, when I was watching a baseball highlight where a black squirrel ran onto the field and the announcers didn't know that those exist. That was Detroit! Then I noticed the next time I was in MI and IN that I only saw grey. Yet at home, black is the majority.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada