HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Ah there we go. Thanks for that. I'm sure the other upgrades I suggested will happen as well.

As for the Expos, I disagree they will not receive and public subsidies. I could actually see a minimum of $50 million each from the province and city and possibly closer to the $100 million each. We continue to see public subsidies invested in sports facilities today - Stade Saputo, expansion to Percival-Molson Stadium, Videotron Centre, Place Bell. A new baseball stadium will be no different. Further, I could also see a low or no-interest loan of another $100 - $200 million from the public to be reimbursed over 25 years with a ticket tax.

Example: 25 years * 25,000 persons per game * 81 home games a year *$2.50 ticket tax = $126 million

The owners could front $150 - $200 million of their own money while stadium naming rights could easily account for the rest.

Offhand, I think a new 35 - 37,000 baseball stadium will cost around 600 million.
I am still very skeptical of the public purse strings being loosened up for a new baseball stadium, but I will say this: if ever there was a time to make a pitch, it's under this CAQ government.

They're pretty open to funding various projects I find. At least, compared to the governments we've had in the recent. They're definitely not spendthrifts.

Of course, they can afford to be that way because the previous government left them with a financial house that was in good order.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The seats are probably not as big a deal at the Big O given that they weren't exposed to harsh Prairie winters for over 30 years as the ones at Commonwealth were.
I can't believe it was this long ago (July 2012) where has the time gone?

$11.9 million for the 56,000 seats BTW, a little over a year (13 months) to install

Last edited by elly63; Jun 3, 2019 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
There is already a plan for almost everything you mentioned, save the grass and I am not sure about the lockers. Estimated cost is 150 millions. La Presse
I forgot about that, thanks for the reminder. Replaced the link with Google translation.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

Probably the most famous NBA fan to ever watch a game in this arena.
source: https://www.perfetly.com

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:57 PM

Good to see our President looking so well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am still very skeptical of the public purse strings being loosened up for a new baseball stadium, but I will say this: if ever there was a time to make a pitch, it's under this CAQ government.

They're pretty open to funding various projects I find. At least, compared to the governments we've had in the recent. They're definitely not spendthrifts.

Of course, they can afford to be that way because the previous government left them with a financial house that was in good order.
Funding was given to two arenas, a soccer stadium, football stadium and multi-use stadium AKA Olympic Stadium. Why not a baseball stadium? It will be used 81 times a year minimum and will likely receive more use then Stade Saputo, Percival and Olympic Stadium combined...at least with crowds greater then 10,000.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Funding was given to two arenas, a soccer stadium, football stadium and multi-use stadium AKA Olympic Stadium. Why not a baseball stadium? It will be used 81 times a year minimum and will likely receive more use then Stade Saputo, Percival and Olympic Stadium combined...at least with crowds greater then 10,000.
Except for the Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City, most of the projects that were carried out involved small potatoes in comparison to the funding that a new baseball stadium would require. Plus, while the arena in Quebec City has not yet become home to an NHL team (the original goal, if we're honest), it's still used a heck of a lot and is far from a white elephant.

As I mentioned before, a baseball stadium will likely be used only for baseball. 81 times a year I realize. Which isn't bad. I also realize that a baseball stadium site won't ever see a single shovel unless an MLB team is guaranteed to come. It would never be built on "spec" like the arena in QC was.

As for the renovations to the Big O they need to be done to ensure the structural and functional viability of the stadium, plus the FIFA World Cup is a lock so they're needed for that sure thing as well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Except for the Centre Vidéotron in Quebec City, most of the projects that were carried out involved small potatoes in comparison to the funding that a new baseball stadium would require. Plus, while the arena in Quebec City has not yet become home to an NHL team (the original goal, if we're honest), it's still used a heck of a lot and is far from a white elephant.

As I mentioned before, a baseball stadium will likely be used only for baseball. 81 times a year I realize. Which isn't bad. I also realize that a baseball stadium site won't ever see a single shovel unless an MLB team is guaranteed to come. It would never be built on "spec" like the arena in QC was.

As for the renovations to the Big O they need to be done to ensure the structural and functional viability of the stadium, plus the FIFA World Cup is a lock so they're needed for that sure thing as well.
Of course. Any funding of a new baseball stadium will be contingent upon expansion/relocation of an MLB team. I think the people involved in this project know that.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Good to see our President looking so well.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 10:46 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Bell, if they can have a separate entity from Rogers, the Bronfman's and others they can attract.
It would take a lot of the Bronfman's net worth to land an expansion team in Montreal. I think this growing trend against corporate ownership for expansion teams is to keep things American. Of course, there are ways around it. There has been a case where a billionaire quickly transferred a team over to his company after he purchasing it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:42 AM

Progress on Gatineau's new 4,000 seat arena. Work on the three adjacent community rinks (for a total of 4) will start shortly.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...levard-maloney

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:30 PM

apparently in Alabama a 45,000 seat stadium only costs $174 million to build? Maybe Halifax should look at these guys to build ?

https://footballstadiumdigest.com/20...plan-approved/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
apparently in Alabama a 45,000 seat stadium only costs $174 million to build? Maybe Halifax should look at these guys to build ?
Not really fair to compare. Does Atlanta need to be winterized (pipe protection), do they have access to cheap labour, will it have seats or bleachers, lots of things involved in cost.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post

https://footballstadiumdigest.com/20...plan-approved/
Alabama? Slave labour???

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Alabama? Slave labour???
Alabama is a Right to Work state.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:00 PM

College stadiums in the US are much cheaper per seat because the amenities are much more basic - seats, concessions, washrooms among other things of course.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
College stadiums in the US are much cheaper per seat because the amenities are much more basic - seats, concessions, washrooms among other things of course.
This is not a college stadium. It will be used by a college team but the city is building it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
This is not a college stadium. It will be used by a college team but the city is building it.
If it's primary user is a college football team it is a college football stadium imo. Taking a look at that render, there is no roof coverage, and it's a one bowl extending all the way around with lots of endzone seats. It appears there is one concourse with a small amount of club seats and suites on one side of the field. One big screen as well.

I can see why it is a $174 million stadium if the structure is similar to the renders.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:46 AM

^ Agreed. College stadiums tend to be much more basic than what you would see at the pro level. Obviously with hundreds of them you might see a few exceptions, but even something like Tim Hortons Field would outshine all but a small handful of US college stadiums (obviously not with respect to size when it comes to some of the bigger ones, though). So that plays into cost for sure.

If IG Field had been built to US college specs, it probably would have been half the cost... no canopy over the stands (or a much smaller one), lots of bench seats, fewer food and beverage areas, fewer premium seating options, etc.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:59 AM

Can attest to this. Have been to 14 college stadiums and hopefully one more this fall. Plus the vast majority are several decades old.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada