HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
It depends. Some people consider Burbank and Glendale to be the valley even though they are in the far south east portion of it. In that case you can see a lot of the downtown towers from the Glendale Galleria and the top of the US bank building in Burbank. But in terms of the west valley, I don't even think a 2000 footer could be seen from way out there.

But on some elevated and higher elevation sections of the 5 freeway heading south in the valley, You can see the US bank tower easy and the tops of some buildings on bunker hill.
In Burbank it's only when you're up on the hills, not on the valley floor. Glendale you can at some points like on all the freeways. The south valley going down the 101 or 170 is kind of a cheat because you can see straight through a canyon that points towards downtown

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:43 PM

A great vantage point is the 134 between Glendale and Pasadena going west right after the Figueroa exit... Great shot of the city and you can see the skyline and Wilshire Grand poking up over the hills. Also, coming down the 2 south from La Crescenta /La Canada gives you a perfect shot of the skyline. Both of these are exceptional after a rainstorm. Awe inspiring vistas

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
A great vantage point is the 134 between Glendale and Pasadena going west right after the Figueroa exit... Great shot of the city and you can see the skyline and Wilshire Grand poking up over the hills. Also, coming down the 2 south from La Crescenta /La Canada gives you a perfect shot of the skyline. Both of these are exceptional after a rainstorm. Awe inspiring vistas
I was surprised recently that I could see metropolis from the 134 just after the 5 interchange

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 1:00 AM

You can see DTLA, the ocean, AND Catalina Island 100 miles away in San Jacinto peak by Palm Springs. I even heard you could see the Las Vegas priamid lights when landing in LAX at night.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
You can see DTLA, the ocean, AND Catalina Island 100 miles away in San Jacinto peak by Palm Springs. I even heard you could see the Las Vegas priamid lights when landing in LAX at night.
Verry true. On clear days San Jacinto Peak is the farthest point on land you can see from Los Angeles. The light from the Luxor on some clear nights can be seen if you know where to look from cruising altitude before landing at los Angeles.This is when you are over the desert to the east of Palm Springs and looking to the northeast. I saw it years ago before decending into LAX. It appeared as a faint vertical streak above the dull glow of Vegas. Almost as tall as a finger at arms distance.I estimate about 180 miles away.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upward 2000 View Post
Some hotels are mixed use and some are not. That does not seem to change the hotel stats when looking up at the height order of buildings yet.
I think with the Wilshire Grand the stats will matter. The developers have said it will boost the highest hotel floors in the country. But tallest hotel it will be not. The Marriott in NYC, the tallest thus far, had a spread on it done earlier this year. And the thing boosted the most about it was

"The tallest single use Hotel tower in the US"

And they put emphasis on the fact that

"single use meaning there will be no offices or residential components"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...e-inn/4379341/

I think that was added in there in direct response to the Wilshire Grand. A mixed use tower will be considered a mixed use tower. Wilshire grand can claim highest hotel floors but cant claim Tallest hotel since its mixed use. No list that ive seen today will even mention it as tallest Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
In Burbank it's only when you're up on the hills, not on the valley floor. Glendale you can at some points like on all the freeways. The south valley going down the 101 or 170 is kind of a cheat because you can see straight through a canyon that points towards downtown
You can see the top of the US bank building and other bunker hill towers from Warner Bros studios in the lower valley floor, you can see downtown from Bob hope airport.

I think the main subject was whether or not you can see it from the valley, which at some vantage points you can. Hills, freeways, elevations. All within whats considered the valley. and all make it easier to see downtown over the hills....within the valley.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:36 AM

Quote:
I think with the Wilshire Grand the stats will matter. The developers have said it will boost the highest hotel floors in the country. But tallest hotel it will be not. The Marriott in NYC, the tallest thus far, had a spread on it done earlier this year. And the thing boosted the most about it was

"The tallest single use Hotel tower in the US"

And they put emphasis on the fact that

"single use meaning there will be no offices or residential components"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...e-inn/4379341/

I think that was added in there in direct response to the Wilshire Grand. A mixed use tower will be considered a mixed use tower. Wilshire grand can claim highest hotel floors but cant claim Tallest hotel since its mixed use. No list that ive seen today will even mention it as tallest Hotel.
The highest hotel rooms above the ground.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
You can see the top of the US bank building and other bunker hill towers from Warner Bros studios in the lower valley floor, you can see downtown from Bob hope airport.
The mountain directly in front of Waner Bros is about 2000 ft above sea I think and Burbank is about 600 ft above sea level. No way you can see downtown.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:34 AM

When I was mentioning the valley, I actually had in mind the San Gabriel Valley, like Covina, Azusa, etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:58 AM

Quote:
The mountain directly in front of Waner Bros is about 2000 ft above sea I think and Burbank is about 600 ft above sea level. No way you can see downtown.
I agree with you, that seems highly unlikely

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 6:12 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Video Link

Last edited by cesar90; Dec 10, 2015 at 6:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 9:36 AM

I apologize for the filthy windows. But just look at how big Wilshire Grand has become!

J1 by mojeda101, on Flickr

J2 by mojeda101, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 3:44 PM

[QUOTE=Mojeda101;7266299]I apologize for the filthy windows. But just look at how big Wilshire Grand has become!

Great perspective here. This is from the club on the 51st floor of the City National Bank. There are more rebar cages being built on the ground today.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 10:12 PM

Does Bunker Hill give the U.S Bank Tower an elevation boost?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
Does Bunker Hill give the U.S Bank Tower an elevation boost?
I don't think so because it's at the bottom of the hill

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 10:47 PM

Looking good! All grown up!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 12:39 AM

Looks amazing. Can't wait to see the impact it'll have when the steel catches up and the crown and spire are built.

Was that the last core jump today?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 1:06 AM

I think there are 2 more left.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
I don't think so because it's at the bottom of the hill
The 5th St entrance to the US bank lobby is at 295' MSL. The AON Lobby is 280' MSL. The Wilshire grand lobby is 286' MSL. The forms on the east side of the core Jumped yesterday as shown in the picture above

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive