HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Hey folks, longtime lurker, first time poster here. I noticed that the old house at 350 River Ave, at Scott St, was torn down (very quickly!) last month, leaving a big hole in the ground. Any ideas what's going on there? I know a few years back there was a proposal to build some kind of affordable housing there, but it was quashed.
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ba/2019/m17986

It was approved in summer 2019, so "very quickly" is a matter of perspective, lol

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ba/2019/m17986

It was approved in summer 2019, so "very quickly" is a matter of perspective, lol

Is anything like that original plan going through? According to this story from November 2019, it sounds like they had to change plans: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...ver-opposition

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 2:19 PM

So it's ok for the Pulse building to go up to the sidewalk but not Silva's project?
The opposition cited in that article makes it sound like it's very much a bunch of well-off people not wanting 'the poors' living near them.

And Reimer's opposition to the parking...jfc! You set up shop in a neighbourhood going through as much redevelopment as OV and now cry about how hard it is for your clients to find parking?!?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
So it's ok for the Pulse building to go up to the sidewalk but not Silva's project?
The opposition cited in that article makes it sound like it's very much a bunch of well-off people not wanting 'the poors' living near them.

And Reimer's opposition to the parking...jfc! You set up shop in a neighbourhood going through as much redevelopment as OV and now cry about how hard it is for your clients to find parking?!?
Try to build luxury $2k apartments and you'll be fought tooth and nail by people decrying the lack of affordable housing

Try to build $600 apartments, and you'll be fought tooth and nail by people decrying the impact on street parking

The only way to win is to just forget the city and build on farmland in ESP

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:54 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^not making fun of you, but ESP won't allow any major multi-family or significant commercial development at all in the RM.

They recently turned down a 3 storey - 75 unit multi-family at the corner of Henderson and the Perimeter. They have turned down all advances to have Wal-Mart and Superstore relocate to lands along the Perimeter and Lagimodiere. Not all RM's with greenfield land is YIMBY.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:07 PM

^ I get ESP rejecting the MURBs, but I'm kind of surprised they turned down major retailers wanting to relocate to sites along the North Perimeter and Lagimodiere, which is basically Winnipeg even if it's technically in the RM. Good on them, though. Neither Winnipeg nor ESP needs more sprawl retail.

Is the Costco at Main and the North Perimeter still going up, though?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Apparently, but like usual for Manitoba - its delayed. I was told that due to the pandemic and high cost of construction here, Costco moved on to projects elsewhere and planned to circle back here when the time is right.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:40 PM

I think the City killed the walmart at the Perimeter when they threatened to barricade Gateway Road. I don't really understand the RM outright rejecting any multi family development. Like in the Birds Hill townsite, there are zero locations they could build some apartments?

So when all the old folks in the RM need to move from their homes, they're forced into the City to the various 55+, assisted living, etc type places.

Seems silly they wouldn't promote any of those types of places in their community.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 6:24 PM

I hadn't heard of the plan for that development but wow what a hypocritical hack that Verne Reimer is.

Pay some lip service to social justice but keep those in transitional situations out of my neighbourhood or my wealthy clients will complain about parking!

What a shame if he were no longer to spread his ugly condos across the city...
Maybe it's time his office moved to the 'burbs, it sounds like he would feel more comfortable there...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 6:45 PM

So did PPP just run out of money with the Zu site or what? That progress seems even slower than 300 Main.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
So did PPP just run out of money with the Zu site or what? That progress seems even slower than 300 Main.
There was a mobile crane and cement truck onsite today, and a crew that was lifting hollowcore slab into place. "Renting Spring 2023" still seems very ambitious.

I'm more nervous about the proposed building on the south side of the street, on what used to be the Vita Health parking lot. They're currently using that site for staging. I hope it doesn't become a "Winnipeg Phase 2" (i.e., never built).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
I’m not surprised PPP has been dropping the ball lately. There has been nothing done on 634 Portage even though construction was supposed to start last fall.

They’re probably running into a lot of trouble with the rising interest rates, and is why we are seeing a decline in new building proposals.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 3:10 PM

Spotted a notice regarding what Paragon is planning at 339 Wardlaw Ave (corner at Scott Street). The building that was there at the corner is gone and they've started digging, not sure if there is more demolition planned? They have a website up: http://www.339wardlaw.com

Also, I'm glad that apartments are getting built, but Paragon really loves a white and grey box, don't they?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:41 PM

320 River Ave

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:48 PM

Wait a new proposal that actually looks good?

River Ave is a special street for this city, and I’m liking all the development next to Fort Rouge Park. If they can get that AT bridge connecting Fort Rouge to McFadyen, as well as the new bike lane on River that becomes an enticing car-free location.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:36 PM
There is always a way

That's good news!
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 6:40 PM

Walking by, because it's so overgrown, you don't really notice how huge this vacant lot actually is. That's really going give much more of a continuous streetscape across from the park!

And, I noticed that the convenience store that shut down across from the park has reopened as... another convenience store. A win for the neighbourhood

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:44 PM
surely you agree with me

that looks awesome.

dumb that it can only be 5 stories though.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 8:52 PM

Nice. I think 5 stories is a good height for the neighbourhood. Mid-rise housing is the best.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 10:55 PM
surely you agree with me

It is, but six should be the allowable height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan