HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 6:18 PM
Busy Beaver

I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, just this once, that this extension opens in time or even early. One can dream that they get into a groove with the eastern extension and go quicker with this one. LOL

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I'm hoping that maybe, just maybe, just this once, that this extension opens in time or even early. One can dream that they get into a groove with the eastern extension and go quicker with this one. LOL
It's already 18 months late or so, which isn't bad on the grand scheme of things. East is maybe 2 to 4 months behind.

I'm pretty confident we'll have minimal time slippage on those two extensions from here on out. If so, it will be quite impressive compared to Line 2 that will end up opening 2+ years late with 100%+ delay.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:05 PM
Busy Beaver

I was out paddling on the river yesterday and it's great how Kichi Zibi station is quite visible from the water. I was thinking it would be really cool if there was another pedestrian underpass under the parkway here leading to a dock for a 3 season ferry across to Aylmer

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:13 PM

I watched two different trains come into the Bayview Station yesterday. One was a two set and the other was a four set.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
I was out paddling on the river yesterday and it's great how Kichi Zibi station is quite visible from the water. I was thinking it would be really cool if there was another pedestrian underpass under the parkway here leading to a dock for a 3 season ferry across to Aylmer

A little hard for the ferry to climb the rapids, no?

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 6:08 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
A little hard for the ferry to climb the rapids, no?
I mean just across the river, of course. It might put some urban in Brigil's "urban village"

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I watched two different trains come into the Bayview Station yesterday. One was a two set and the other was a four set.
Given appropriate time to test and assuming all construction is completed, is there a reason why one or two stations west of Tunny's could not be open before the entire line out to Moodie? For me and a few neighbours, being able to get as far as Westboro for a full-sized Farm Boy, LCBO and a few other shops would be beneficial. Especially to those living around Parliament and Lyon station, a zone where retailers fear to tread.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Your in luck (not for the ferry though lol), there will be a new signalized crossing of the parkway at the station here! Should be installed towards the end of construction.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Given appropriate time to test and assuming all construction is completed, is there a reason why one or two stations west of Tunny's could not be open before the entire line out to Moodie? For me and a few neighbours, being able to get as far as Westboro for a full-sized Farm Boy, LCBO and a few other shops would be beneficial. Especially to those living around Parliament and Lyon station, a zone where retailers fear to tread.
I was seeing the O-train coming into the Bayview station from the south.

As for west of Tunny's, that section to Kichi is far far away from being complete. They haven't completed even one section of support pouring for the rails.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
Construction phasing was planned so that the existing Transitway between Tunney's and the Parkway would be last to shut down and start construction, so this section will be last to be completed as well.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 4:11 AM
Busy Beaver

Progress at New Orchard:

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:53 AM

Nice to see this is all progressed beyond a trough with construction debris and equipment scattered everywhere...this is coming together nicely...

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:04 PM

Great pic Kitchissippi. You can really see the depth between the surface and tunnel roof. This should be plenty to allow for decent tree growth.

That entrance iks also far larger than I thiought. I do hope the platfrom goes under that entrance (as opposed to some stations where the platfrom starts after the concourse).

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Great pic Kitchissippi. You can really see the depth between the surface and tunnel roof. This should be plenty to allow for decent tree growth.

That entrance iks also far larger than I thiought. I do hope the platfrom goes under that entrance (as opposed to some stations where the platfrom starts after the concourse).
It doesn't really. Only a short segment overlaps with the concourse to reach the elevators. Same with Sherbourne.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
It doesn't really. Only a short segment overlaps with the concourse to reach the elevators. Same with Sherbourne.
That's too bad. We often don't take advantage of "free" station coverage from the elements when we build platfroms offset from existing overpassses or station entrances.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:37 PM

Is there a graphic of what the parkway will look like after the construction of that section?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Is there a graphic of what the parkway will look like after the construction of that section?
I posted it not long ago. Can no longer find it. It originated from the Kitchissipi Ward website, but it's gone because they had to delete the old website and create a new one for some reason.

I can provide a bit of an idea. The east and west bound lanes will be close together (like a highhway or boulevard). The route will be very windy, coming close to the river and then closer to the built up area. Honestly, dosen't seem great.

Hoping what was depicted was a City proposal, and not what the NCC has in mind.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
I posted it not long ago. Can no longer find it. It originated from the Kitchissipi Ward website, but it's gone because they had to delete the old website and create a new one for some reason.

I can provide a bit of an idea. The east and west bound lanes will be close together (like a highhway or boulevard). The route will be very windy, coming close to the river and then closer to the built up area. Honestly, dosen't seem great.
Okay, thank you.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping the NCC just good back to the original plan and reduces the road to 2 lanes total

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:19 PM

Quote:

Slide 24 in the Cleary to Lincoln Fields information session appears to show a high level snapshot of the new parkway. Railfans has it archived here: https://otrain.railfans.ca/doc-archi...-presentations

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation