HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:05 PM

MTY is the parent company of a large number of chains you see in every food court. If a mall wanted they could easily run a whole food court with only MTY chains. The challenge becomes that I do not know of any malls that leased the entire food court, including the tables and common spaces to MTY. That said if MTY was smart they would start trying to get that arrangement. Having that level of control would then mean if you buy a bottle of pop in the food court it could cost the exact same at every vendor, etc.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
MTY is the parent company of a large number of chains you see in every food court. If a mall wanted they could easily run a whole food court with only MTY chains. The challenge becomes that I do not know of any malls that leased the entire food court, including the tables and common spaces to MTY. That said if MTY was smart they would start trying to get that arrangement. Having that level of control would then mean if you buy a bottle of pop in the food court it could cost the exact same at every vendor, etc.
OK, I know who you are taking about now. I still think that a SSP type of food company would be better as they can bring in any format not just the ones that they own and have to push.

Having an MTY you would get a Country Style coffee shop only, and no chance of a more popular brand like Tim Hortons or Starbucks as one example.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
If WS moves to more original ideas in their food court instead of poor knock offs of massive food court chains that are unappealing on a good day it would be a huge step forward. Sadly my idea for a food court launch pad for new ideas is not the most fiscally viable as the landlord would need to pick up a fair bit of the costs with little means to recover them. The model of having MTY basically lease out the whole food court and operate every vendor is a safer bet for a landlord to generate revenue.
Unfortunately that's just a reflection of

a) the market
b) large scale tenant ignorance

Artis is smart, but basically they'll take whoever will pay the rent. For some reason, larger players are STILL typically dismissive of Wpg's downtown, and forget that a HUGE concentration of Winnipeg's Legal and Financial professionals work closely connected to Winnipeg Square.

For the time being, smaller, quirkier operations have started to fill these voids like the Pizza Hotline and Freshii. Unfortunately Winnipeg has to fight its own stigma of stagnation. Even worse, Winnipeg's professional community isn't too large, so when a Torontonan meets a Pegger, all they remember is our self-loathing.

Having worked in "Turrono", they are often dismissive of us. It will take more momentum to convince major players that the food court can become a destination. 300 Main should help change that significantly.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
300 Main should help change that significantly.
Absolutely. 360+ Additional residential units tied in to the Food Court area of the Square can only benefit the owners/operators of said establishments.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 8:25 PM

^ Can the residents of a tower really be expected to patronize the fast food joints of a food court when they have their own kitchens directly overhead? I used to live right above a banh mi shop in Edmonton and I ate there exactly zero times in 3 years.

Seriously, look at Fort Garry Place. Massive 3-tower complex with hundreds of residents and there are what, 2 greasy spoons in there which probably cater as much to area workers as to people who live in the buildings.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:02 PM

It depends ... if they're selling pizza and doritos at 2 a.m. ...

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Can the residents of a tower really be expected to patronize the fast food joints of a food court when they have their own kitchens directly overhead? I used to live right above a banh mi shop in Edmonton and I ate there exactly zero times in 3 years.

Seriously, look at Fort Garry Place. Massive 3-tower complex with hundreds of residents and there are what, 2 greasy spoons in there which probably cater as much to area workers as to people who live in the buildings.
No, No expectations for residence of any complex can. I have a kitchen as well, I use nearby restaurants when the mood suits me, some won't?

Maybe you had no interest in Vietnamese food?

Fort Garry Place is an anomaly of the greatness extent. No traffic, other than residents, design, off the beaten track, many have mentioned it's spooky? Chandeliers, strange architectural design, what are the demographics of renters in this complex.

Either way the Winnipeg Square complex and the surrounding office towers drive people down to the establishments, we discuss density here on a regular basis, more people in any given area will increase traffic to established locations.

Seriously, can the addition of 400-500 hundred new residents hurt these establishments even more?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:25 PM

^ I suppose it won't hurt, but I'd say it's really office workers who are the engine of the downtown Winnipeg food courts.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:27 PM

I think Winnipeg Square is going to be held back more by lease restrictions that what 300 Main does or does not contribute. If the existing food court tenants say have ten years left on a lease that says they only need to be open between 9 am and 5 pm guess how much change 300 Main will bring -- exactly zero.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:32 PM

We're on the same page, don't see it changing much in the future, that is, until you have a critical mass of residents living in any given area. Then that little Sushi shop, on any given night will be able to pay the rent and make a profit.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:34 PM

I should hasten to add that I'm sure residents at 300 Main will patronize downtown restaurants, but probably ones in more pleasant environments than subterranean food courts which are really only meant for a fast/cheap/convenient bite.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I think Winnipeg Square is going to be held back more by lease restrictions that what 300 Main does or does not contribute. If the existing food court tenants say have ten years left on a lease that says they only need to be open between 9 am and 5 pm guess how much change 300 Main will bring -- exactly zero.
Downtown, Shuts down... It will never change until people come back en-masse..

Old Posted May 20, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:

I would certainly think so. When I was working late hours in larger cities, I was the opposite... I became good friends with nearby establishments, which to me, and perhaps other professionals 25-40 is a great way of making your small apartment feel bigger. I had my favourite "regular" quick/fast food place. I used my kitchen 25% of the time, and loved the convenience of nearby food. I think a young professional crowd has less incentive to save money by cooking these days.

At minimum, the "I have to be at work soon and I'm starving" traffic would shoot right up.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 8:36 PM

Personally think the Vietnamese place in WS is good. I also even liked the shwarma place that basically lasted only 2 months.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:08 AM

Access Winnipeg says the city's first Jollibee is going to open up on Ellice near St. James, by the Starbucks.

I predict the most epic opening day that any fast food joint in this city has ever seen!

http://accesswinnipeg.com/2016/05/jo...-james-street/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 1:31 PM

^ did not know anything about this chain, makes sense for the large Filipino community in Winnipeg...

Jollibee! by swilkes, on Flickr

Quote:
Leaked plans have confirmed that Jollibee, a Filipino fast-food chain dubbed the McDonalds of the Philippines, will open its first restaurant in Winnipeg.

It will be located at 1400 St. James Street by McDonalds and Starbucks. They are famous for their pineapple-topped hamburgers, peach-mango pie and “Chickenjoy” fried chicken.

Funny, there's A Mc D's location in the development, not unexpected..any one experience the cuisine some where else in the world..lol...

Source:

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Access Winnipeg says the city's first Jollibee is going to open up on Ellice near St. James, by the Starbucks.

I predict the most epic opening day that any fast food joint in this city has ever seen!

I've only had it once but the experience was life changing

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro
Funny, there's A Mc D's location in the development, not unexpected..any one experience the cuisine some where else in the world..lol...
That McDonald's has been there for years.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Mil...2!4d-97.198096

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 7:21 PM

Ya that's just a map of the existing spaces. With the new one added in. Looks like one space left available in the top right corner.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 8:50 PM

that building, Speedy glass building and Mongos building have been built in past year, the buildings containing Urban Barn and Pita Pit are older ones. very limited parking during lunch hour currently

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan