HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:02 PM

Hopefully a developer that would purchase these places will have some vision and respect for the buildings.

Specifically, St. Patrick's interior is spectacular, and reflects a level of workmanship that no longer exists in the modern world. I had an opportunity to see it in person a few years back during Doors Open Halifax and was pleasantly surprised once I stepped through the doors, as the exterior is subtle in comparison. I was not expecting to see wood worked gothic arches, and they are beautiful.

(Sorry for the large pic)

Source

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:22 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hopefully a developer that would purchase these places will have some vision and respect for the buildings.

Specifically, St. Patrick's interior is spectacular, and reflects a level of workmanship that no longer exists in the modern world. I had an opportunity to see it in person a few years back during Doors Open Halifax and was pleasantly surprised once I stepped through the doors, as the exterior is subtle in comparison. I was not expecting to see wood worked gothic arches, and they are beautiful.

(Sorry for the large pic)

Source
Prime opportunity for the city to buy it and create a badly needed performance space.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 1:06 AM

If this is accurate the best thing would be for it to happen quickly. The last thing St. Pat’s needs is years more in the ownership of an organization that’s completely given up on maintaining it.

But I also really don’t know what kind of redevelopment could maintain the interior for public use. We don’t have that many grand historic interiors in this town: it’s a shame to thinks it could be lost.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:43 PM

There's a working Casavant organ in there, that you can feel in your chest when certain chords are played. The acoustics are amazing in there, it would be a great concert venue when the time comes.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
There's a working Casavant organ in there, that you can feel in your chest when certain chords are played. The acoustics are amazing in there, it would be a great concert venue when the time comes.
Yes it would. There are however, foundation issues.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 11:37 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Yes it would. There are however, foundation issues.
Foundation issues??

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:05 AM

IIRC, when I was there for Doors Open, I heard that they had to remove much of the granite ornamentation from the steeple area, as the building was unable to support the weight anymore. So, definitely structural issues.

On the other hand, how many elaborate old churches like this are left in Halifax? It would be nice if we could actually realize that our historical buildings have value that can't be completely explained in economic terms. For all the govts spend on 'programs' and such, it would be nice to see some financial support for structures like these that are in danger of disappearing forever. They are as much a part of our culture as anything else, even if they aren't the popular flavour of the day.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:08 AM

Another point of view

Quote:
IIRC, when I was there for Doors Open, I heard that they had to remove much of the granite ornamentation from the steeple area, as the building was unable to support the weight anymore. So, definitely structural issues.

On the other hand, how many elaborate old churches like this are left in Halifax? It would be nice if we could actually realize that our historical buildings have value that can't be completely explained in economic terms. For all the govts spend on 'programs' and such, it would be nice to see some financial support for structures like these that are in danger of disappearing forever. They are as much a part of our culture as anything else, even if they aren't the popular flavour of the day.
Well I certainly understand your thoughts expressed here and France is paying for the repairs to Notre Dame, after their fire, BUT as an ATHEIST, I'd be happy to see every remains of a destructive control on society removed so not a trace of the insanity. AND as a gay male I'll be happy to see every last trace of HATRED directed towards me eliminated for these people associated with EVILGELICALISM are extremely active to exert their control on every aspect of live today, especially in the USA and Alberta and the conservative parties and thru conservative media. - I look forward to every last church being turned into condos

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:40 AM
Salty Town

In Portugal all renovatins are under strick control. To repair or replace a roof, the material must be approved by the municipality and is generally the traditional red tile. If we had a bit of this mindset we could at least save historic structures. It is so unfortunate that the city doesn't play a bigger role in protecting historic buildings.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:44 AM

Saint Theresa has already had a construction fence around it for a couple weeks

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Well I certainly understand your thoughts expressed here and France is paying for the repairs to Notre Dame, after their fire, BUT as an ATHEIST, I'd be happy to see every remains of a destructive control on society removed so not a trace of the insanity. AND as a gay male I'll be happy to see every last trace of HATRED directed towards me eliminated for these people associated with EVILGELICALISM are extremely active to exert their control on every aspect of live today, especially in the USA and Alberta and the conservative parties and thru conservative media. - I look forward to every last church being turned into condos
I totally respect your point of view, and can understand your negative feelings towards established religions. I don't want this to turn into a religious discussion, but one doesn't have to look to far to see negative fallout based upon religion - it's sad to think that even today the world is experiencing a major war based upon religion.

However, I think it's also important that we don't fall into the trap of revisionist history. It existed and once was the largest part of our culture, for better or worse. Some of the buildings associated with this history are physically impressive and are a real showcase for the skills of the craftspeople who built them. For that reason I think it's important that the best of them be saved - repurposed is just fine, but the the workmanship is worth preserving, IMHO.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 2:49 PM

Quote:

This is both a municipally and provincially protected building that is physically and architecturally very valuable, and speaks to reams of local history. It would be outraegous to lose it, but given that heritage designations amount to little more than plaques, I suppose its future is in limbo.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:09 PM
Salty Town

The city could buy it, completely restore it and lease it for church services as well as concerts.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The city could buy it, completely restore it and lease it for church services as well as concerts.
In some parts of the world a major up-front public investment like that, with a long-term plan to recoup costs, would be a no-brainer. Here we’re more likely to see it sit empty for years, Bloomfield-style.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
I understand how you feel but St Pats represents, from a historical perspective an important achievement for the early Irish immigrants to this City.The Irish faced very real persecution for just being Roman Catholic in a very English Protestant City. It took decades for the Irish to be even allowed to have a Cathedral like the one we have now.

For reference my First arrived relatives back in the 1870's were instrumental in organizing fundraisers and getting political cover to have the Church built. It became among the few Social service centers for Irish citizens in Halifax.
I suppose the great revenge is most Churches are now slowly fading away as the our Secular society and far better educated population are making different life decisions without the need of the former Religious tenants that were greatly imposed on older society's.

I wonder if the building could have a second life as a performing arts center and the permanent home for Symphony N.S. and concert Hall.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 3:15 AM

Great art will be found in all religions and in all continents - buildings,music,visual arts, print. As the great William said 'The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones'. We would be a much poorer world without what our forbears left us. The church should be restored to its former glory and I have no doubt there are many of the philanthropic bent who would donate time,money and effort.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:52 AM

Quote:
This reads like parody.

When the Taliban destroyed the Buddhas of Bamiyan, there was a worldwide outcry, and for good reason: the overwhelming majority of people in every society - including Canada - have and continue to believe in a higher power of some form. Even when people do not share a faith, they recognize the value of belief, how it has uplifted our species and contributed to some of our greatest accomplishments. Most of the great architectural wonders in human history are or were places of worship or have religious significance: the Great Pyramid at Giza; the Taj Mahal; the Florence Cathedral; Notre Dame; the Hagia Sophia; the Süleymaniye Mosque; Angkor Wat.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
I wonder if the building could have a second life as a performing arts center and the permanent home for Symphony N.S. and concert Hall.
I agree that it has a beautiful interior that in a perfect world should be preserved. However, I see a few challenges with your suggestion. First, it is located in an off-the-beaten-path location with little staging area or parking nearby and zero amenities for attendees before or after events. Secondly and more importantly, all of those beautiful carved wooden supports seem to be 3 seating rows apart and would be significant impediments to viewing performers on stage and limit capacity.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:45 PM
Salty Town

Fenway Park and the Halifax Forum have columns that obstruct views so why not St. Patrick's Church?

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Fenway Park and the Halifax Forum have columns that obstruct views so why not St. Patrick's Church?
The Forum is not noted for its excellence as a performance venue, posts or no posts. Regardless, in either space one is not facing a veritable forest of wooden posts like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth