HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:05 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks for that...I forgot about HOK's involvement.

Looking back at that early proposal, it's interesting to see how the stadium design evolved. The arches that were built are probably less iconic than the ones in the initial proposal, but the latter probably would have cast all sorts of weird shadows and would have probably been quite a bit more expensive so I can appreciate why they were changed.

Also, the early designs called for a single-tier stadium. Considering the relatively small size of the place a single tier could have worked, but switching to a two-tier configuration certainly brings the skyboxes and the upper seats closer to the action.

Interestingly, the first real bit of criticism regarding stadium design has surfaced: the Sun's Paul Friesen slammed the small and (according to him) poorly located press box.

It did strike me as a bit odd that the press box was shunted off to the side the way it was... I would have expected two levels of boxes which would have created more room for a bigger press box at centre field on one of the levels. It will be interesting to see if this causes any problems for the Bombers with future Grey Cup bids. The press box situation at MTS Centre had a relatively easy fix, but there doesn't seem to be such an obvious solution for the stadium if they ever want to enlarge the press box.

Friesen's column: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/3...t-grey-cup-bid

if they ever needed to enlarge the press box, you do a Lords Cricket ground - convert the existing one into new corporate boxes and built at one of the ends

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
if they ever needed to enlarge the press box, you do a Lords Cricket ground - convert the existing one into new corporate boxes and built at one of the ends
Interesting concept, but the sports media would lose their collective minds if they were shunted off to the end zone. It might also interfere with the ability of the club to add temporary seating for Grey Cup games and other major events.

I wonder if there is any possibility of hanging a new press box from the rafters, like there used to be at Assiniboia Downs before it burned a few years back?

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 2:17 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting concept, but the sports media would lose their collective minds if they were shunted off to the end zone. It might also interfere with the ability of the club to add temporary seating for Grey Cup games and other major events.

I wonder if there is any possibility of hanging a new press box from the rafters, like there used to be at Assiniboia Downs before it burned a few years back?
i dont care if the media lose their minds - it's not a real job anyway... reporting/talking about sport. pullllease..... losing the northend scoreboard and built there wouldnt impringe on added extra seats

added bonus, blocks the wind

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 7:01 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Don't worry, Winnipeg will have the nicest outdoor stadium in Canada for a few years. I'm sure the extra $100M or so for our project (budjet will go up like yours did) and the world-renowned architects we got bidding to design our stadium (ie HKS Architects who designed Cowboys Stadium) will suffice.

Seriously though, can't wait to check IGF our in person in Sept.
Alrighty then, hopefully you don't lose 58 - nothing or whatever happened to me at Labour Day last year.

It seriously made for a long ride home..

Although the Bomber fans stopping traffic on Victoria Ave was pretty hilarious..

Basically, one guy ran out dressed as Gainer and another guy ran out from an opposing street corner and stuck a big 3 foot long cardboard cock in that poor rodents mouth.

I've never been so thoroughly entertained in a traffic jam before.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The roof is leaking in the ticket office.
Good Ol' Flynn and their near monopoly on Canadian commercial roofing.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
i dont care if the media lose their minds - it's not a real job anyway... reporting/talking about sport. pullllease..... losing the northend scoreboard and built there wouldnt impringe on added extra seats

added bonus, blocks the wind
You obviously don't know anything about North American sports and how much they rely on media coverage. CFL is only becoming more successful because of more and better coverage in the media.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You obviously don't know anything about North American sports and how much they rely on media coverage. CFL is only becoming more successful because of more and better coverage in the media.
Have to agree, it's no coincidence that the CFL has really increased in popularity since TSN took over the television coverage.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Have to agree, it's no coincidence that the CFL has really increased in popularity since TSN took over the television coverage.
I think as much as the exposure from the TSN deal the financial side has really contributed to the league. Having the additional revenue has increased team stability which in turn as helped attract more high caliber players.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:19 PM

Picked up my season tickets this past weekend. All I have to say is any pictures you see do not do this facility justice! Just amazing!

Walking out of the Bomber store onto the main concourse level for the first time gave chills down the spine. The atmosphere was great, even though nothing was happening on the field. You really get a sense of being "inside", like a canyon effect being downtown.

The place needs a sweep and a couple leaks to be fixed, but looks great! They ushered everybody the long way around to get your tickets. So you got to see inside the suite level, which looked great. Again the photos don't really do it justice. The suites aren't overly opulent, but the atmosphere is nice.

One thing I noticed is there is A LOT of room. The main concourse was huge and open, comparable to a place like SkyDome. Even the upper level concourse has lots of space. One thing I really like is you will be able to travel between concourses. Not like MTS Centre where you are restricted to either the upper or lower level depending on where your seat is. And leg room is fantastic!

All in all, a great visit! Can't wait for the games to get started!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 5:24 PM

I thought these seats were pretty awesome! Your own little VIP area! I'm standing in my seat for this picture.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 9:45 PM

Took this photo on Saturday the place looks Awesome

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 3:48 AM
surely you agree with me

that's quite the shadow across the field..i wonder if that's going to be an issue for tv.

i still hate that wiggly roof....would have been so much more elegant to follow the line of the arch.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 9:01 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
that's quite the shadow across the field..i wonder if that's going to be an issue for tv.

i still hate that wiggly roof....would have been so much more elegant to follow the line of the arch.
theres always lighting during the game.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 3:38 AM

My first impression of the new stadium is shock at how many obstructed seats there are, particularly in the upper deck. I've been to many stadiums and arenas across the continent, and I wouldn't be surprised if our stadium has the most obstructed view seats (per capita) for a stadium or arena built after the cookie-cutter era. The excuse being bandied about is that building codes changed mid-build. I know there was the Szabo issue, and the old stadium had to make some adjustments too, but it is truly poor design to obstruct that many seats and probably speaks to not using an experienced sport venue design firm. Hard to believe they couldn't anticipate what was coming. I guess the lesson will be learned for our next stadium 55 years down the line. This one will need to be renovated sooner than later to fix the press box, if not unobstruct some views.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
My first impression of the new stadium is shock at how many obstructed seats there are, particularly in the upper deck. I've been to many stadiums and arenas across the continent, and I wouldn't be surprised if our stadium has the most obstructed view seats (per capita) for a stadium or arena built after the cookie-cutter era. The excuse being bandied about is that building codes changed mid-build. I know there was the Szabo issue, and the old stadium had to make some adjustments too, but it is truly poor design to obstruct that many seats and probably speaks to not using an experienced sport venue design firm. Hard to believe they couldn't anticipate what was coming. I guess the lesson will be learned for our next stadium 55 years down the line. This one will need to be renovated sooner than later to fix the press box, if not unobstruct some views.
not disagreeing, but how do you avoid steel safety rails?? these have to be installed at every stair, every drop in elevation etc.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:37 PM

My seat has a clear sightline, but two seats to the right and you're looking through the glass area in the photo. And only for the one end zone. Still sucks..

One thing I noticed is they're using a steel cable as the top of the guard rail all along the front rows of the upper deck. And it seems VERY short when standing next to it. It doesn't even come up to my hip. One wrong move when cheering for a touchdown and it's a long way down.

PS I'll likely be moving to the lower bowl next season.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
not disagreeing, but how do you avoid steel safety rails?? these have to be installed at every stair, every drop in elevation etc.
I understand the dilemma. I think it comes down to design. This is also the cheapest stadium built in North America at cost per seat. Being close friends with an engineer at SOD who worked on the project, they had an ongoing issue with the Bombers adding perks to the building without the cost being able to go up, so a lot of corners were cut to make the budget. In the end, SOD will probably lose money on the project, unless they can win some back in litigation. Hearing the stories of what they had to do in the week before training camp to get occupancy from the city was amazing. You might notice a lot of the sloppy last minute concrete and steel work.

I guess I got a little too excited with the media reports of how great IGF is. My first look when picking up my tickets and watching practice from different locations in the stadium was extremely underwhelming. It is a very basic new stadium with some nice perks, and some major flaws. Certainly not a palace, but it will be given character by the inhabitants.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:26 PM

At least now the criticisms of the new stadium are starting to get a little specific. So far, the following shortcomings have been identified:

1. Slightly imperfect views from some upper deck corner seats
2. Field access issues that required cuts in the sideline wall to provide access, and a much larger passageway to the field in the northwest corner than originally planned
3. Some partially blocked views due to railings, etc.
4. Apparently undersized and inadequate press box

Is there anything I’m missing?

Of these, I’d say issue 2 falls into the category of “who cares”, with the only unfortunate result being the loss of some seats to the enlarged passageway. I find it hard to believe that issue 1 wasn’t a result of a deliberate decision to keep the sidelines tight. The amount of field that is obstructed must be under 1% of the field – I think it’ll be relatively trivial in the long run. Issue 3 is something I’ve noticed in other newer facilities (including MTS Centre) and appears to be a result of modern building codes that require far more railings than old facilities ever had.

Only issue 4 is one that could come back to bite the Bombers. Most newer stadiums incorporate multiple levels of skyboxes, and had IGF had two skybox levels there would have been more than enough room for a larger press box. Obviously a cost-saving decision was made to go with one level, but it could be a hassle for the Bombers during larger events like the Grey Cup. Imagine a Heritage Classic – most of the press box will be far down the sideline past the end of the ice. Not an ideal setup by any means.

Barring any new revelations, this list is more of a list of minor quibbles than anything else. On the whole I’m still very impressed with what the project partners managed to design and build for the budget. Compare our new park to Hamilton’s and you can see how good we have it – their facility looks like it could have been designed for our minor-league affiliate if football had that sort of thing, and their budget is roughly 75% of ours so it’s not like they’re getting away with an amazing bargain of a stadium.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:14 PM

Don't want to interrupt a good debate between posters, but I was curious. What exactly did we expect for a 190$million stadium with 10$ million worth of add ons as per the club? Could we have designed something with a better architect at the helm? Or would these problems been alleviated with a 350$ Million budget? As I have not travelled the stadiums of the world as some,maybe those that have could kindly tell me what 190$ million gets you today? A Photo would be extra nice. Thx in Advance.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:52 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Don't want to interrupt a good debate between posters, but I was curious. What exactly did we expect for a 190$million stadium with 10$ million worth of add ons as per the club? Could we have designed something with a better architect at the helm? Or would these problems been alleviated with a 350$ Million budget? As I have not travelled the stadiums of the world as some,maybe those that have could kindly tell me what 190$ million gets you today? A Photo would be extra nice. Thx in Advance.
$190 million in the states would likely get you a scoreboard. I have been to about half of the NFL Stadiums and they are much larger and grander. That being said, i can't think of any i have been to that will be this tight or intimate with regards to being right on top of the playing field. I think we got a hell of a stadium for our budget......could it have been better, possibly.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan