HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
its time to start running the old people down in the streets.
I think we should give them an option: Pledge allegiance to The Death and Life of Great American Cities or... get run down in the street.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:16 PM

One of my biggest concerns, actually, is the loss of the Thai place in the existing building. It's usually pretty busy, with outdoor seating, and really adds a lot to the streetscape.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I think we should give them an option: Pledge allegiance to The Death and Life of Great American Cities or... get run down in the street.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 10:41 PM

The design isn't finalized. Cappleman's office is encouraging a more modern design, and she said that writing to ELVN and urging them to do the same can help.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 11:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
The design isn't finalized. Cappleman's office is encouraging a more modern design, and she said that writing to ELVN and urging them to do the same can help.
You guys should. I don't think I'd be able to edit all the "fucks" and "piece of shits" out...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
We need to raise hell about this. If they try to build this piece of shit design then we should get the preservationists to try and landmark that building. Fuck Lukas, if you want to build trash you don't get to build anything at all.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:05 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Whatever the case, I'm done. This was the final straw, and I officially give up caring about what gets built in this city. Fuck Chicago. Too many backwards, Midwestern-minded hicks here. I honestly don't give a shit about anything that gets built from now on. The hotel at Wrigley, this, it just doesn't end. It's maddening, and I'm done.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:40 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

I thought that Lagrange had taken down his shingle & closed shop?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:28 PM

Since I live in the ward, I did my part.

Dear James Cappleman,

Is the new Lucien Lagrange design for the 3936 Sheridan Proposal final? I personally preferred the original modern design by Loukas Development. Was it the 46th Ward Zoning & Development committee that proposed such a drastic change? I am just one opinion, but I was impressed with the recent 4027 Broadway development and I was hoping to see more modern units developed around the ward. I get jealous of the new modern developments around Ukrainian Village and Bucktown.

Lastly, will the new TOD ordinance allow the developer to increase the height and add more density? Since Thorek Hospital purchased the lots to the Northeast corner of Irving/Sheridan, there is limited space for dense housing around the Sheridan Redline stop. It would be nice to allow the developer to add height to counteract Thorek’s land banking.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
for those that love demolition pictures go take some! 400W huron is getting Demo'd some nice barrel celings showing as its only half done, also Munchies on Larabee is also getting Demolished right now
09/22/15

09/23/15

iphone quality, sorry bout it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
You guys should. I don't think I'd be able to edit all the "fucks" and "piece of shits" out...
Leave them in. The dumb dumbs don't hold back and things usually go their way. The squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The data in that table is from 2009. I don't know about anyone else, but my property taxes have gone up by about 80% since then while my property value has been barely increased since my purchase price. Yes, that still puts us in the low end, but it's not nearly as low as it used to be. My property tax as a percentage of actual value (not assessed value) is somewhere around 1.5%, well above New York, Boston or LA.
Slow follow-up, but my total tax bill for my condo in the 42nd ward has gone up maybe 15% since then, if that. But our building also hires aggressive attorneys for every assessment cycle. So maybe one of the takeaways is that your mileage may vary with the complicated property tax system in Chicago...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:19 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
We need to raise hell about this. If they try to build this piece of shit design then we should get the preservationists to try and landmark that building. Fuck Lukas, if you want to build trash you don't get to build anything at all.

I agree! I'm writing an email about this, as the new design is so distasteful and, frankly disturbing.....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The data in that table is from 2009. I don't know about anyone else, but my property taxes have gone up by about 80% since then while my property value has been barely increased since my purchase price. Yes, that still puts us in the low end, but it's not nearly as low as it used to be. My property tax as a percentage of actual value (not assessed value) is somewhere around 1.5%, well above New York, Boston or LA.

Not sure how much taxes have gone up on average here from 2009, but don't forget they've gone up for the other cities in the table too since then.....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:42 PM
BANNED

Google 9/23

A bit off topic, but some might find this interesting. Here's a pic of the typical column reinforcement at Google. About 25% of the columns on the floor I was on received reinforcement, resulting in the numerous delays we saw. I can't even imagine the additional cost of this extra work. Although, if any entity can absorb it, it's Google.

Bonus shot: A view from the building's green roof.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:26 PM

cappleman has been a pretty spectacular failure so i'm not surprised by this design downgrade

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Since I live in the ward, I did my part.

Dear James Cappleman,

Is the new Lucien Lagrange design for the 3936 Sheridan Proposal final? I personally preferred the original modern design by Loukas Development. Was it the 46th Ward Zoning & Development committee that proposed such a drastic change? I am just one opinion, but I was impressed with the recent 4027 Broadway development and I was hoping to see more modern units developed around the ward. I get jealous of the new modern developments around Ukrainian Village and Bucktown.

Lastly, will the new TOD ordinance allow the developer to increase the height and add more density? Since Thorek Hospital purchased the lots to the Northeast corner of Irving/Sheridan, there is limited space for dense housing around the Sheridan Redline stop. It would be nice to allow the developer to add height to counteract Thorek’s land banking.
You sent this as an email? Where did you send it to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I agree! I'm writing an email about this, as the new design is so distasteful and, frankly disturbing.....
I'm thinking I might too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I can't even imagine the additional cost of this extra work. Although, if any entity can absorb it, it's Google.
Well, its not like Google was financing the conversion, were they? SB was.

Also, while I know Google is a big tenant, it was still SRAM that kicked this thing off and will be their global HQ.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:16 PM

His email is Info@james46.org. I usually get responses back within 48 hours

http://james46.org/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
You sent this as an email? Where did you send it to?

I'm thinking I might too.
Send it to the 46th Ward office (email is on their website) or to James at East Lakeview Neighbors (email is on this letter: http://james46.org/wp-content/upload...9/A1AD71-1.pdf).

The woman with whom I spoke to at Cappleman's office actually urged me to discuss this with James at ELVN. She and Cappleman will be having further discussions with the developer and are urging a non-regressive design; if they can have communications from ELVN that corroborate that, the developer will be more inclined to go with a design that the neghborhood wants.

Invoking the new TOD ordinance in any discussion about this development won't really do any good, as the developer needs a zoning change from B1-2 to B3-5 (or something similar to that--I can't remember the exact zoning, but the needed up-zone is beyond what the TOD overlay would afford, I believe).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development