HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is great and most definitely needed! I feel like Fishtown and even parts of Kensington have stolen much of the energy that Northern Liberties used to have. IMO, Northern Liberties hasn't been an "exciting" destination since the mid-2010s, when Fishtown really began to take off (it's still a great neighborhood that I buy a house in, but it's considerably more mature than when it was first coming up). This will help bring some of that energy back. It's incredible to see what is shaping up to be a second new construction boom in NL, just at a much larger scale than the late 2000s/early 2010s.
Especially if they get the 2nd street makeover done:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ure-of-nolibs/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 5:18 AM
Creative Ambitions

Welp folks Ms.Parker has won which was already known since the primary, however Republican Turnout for this election is the highest since 2003 John Street V.S Sam Katz

Also RIP to the GOP in Philly they have completely dropped the ball with only 1 Republican left on council.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 2:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Welp folks Ms.Parker has won which was already known since the primary, however Republican Turnout for this election is the highest since 2003 John Street V.S Sam Katz

Also RIP to the GOP in Philly they have completely dropped the ball with only 1 Republican left on council.
Looking forward to seeing her in action.

More people on Council from the Working Families Parties rains on the parade a bit, because I find most of their agenda points clueless and backwards... At least Mayor Parker and other Council members will provide a balance.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Nov 8, 2023 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Old and East Kensington are lacking pretty hard too. Those neighborhoods have become dense and nearly fully developed but lack restaurants and bars.
Sure. But they are much younger in their redevelopment cycles. And much of Old Kensington basically butts right up against Fishtown on Front Street.

Northern Liberties at this point is surrounded on every side by affluence and is still lacking certain basic services and upscale dining and bars it deserves.

I still think it's a hang over from its association with Blatstein. The creative community (and in this I include chefs and restauranteurs) writ large in Philadelphia hates Blatstein and everything he's associated with...so part of me thinks NoLibs was deliberately skipped out of spite.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 3:06 PM

Quote:

I'm looking forward to Parker.

This is the second election in which the turnout (both % and absolute # of votes) was higher in Allegheny County than it was in Philadelphia County, even though Philadelphia is considerably larger. And by a large margin. (358K votes cast in Allegheny, 266K in Philadelphia).

Most Philadelphians have no right to complain about anything at this point. The next time I hear somebody complain about something I'm going to ask them how they voted in off cycle elections then I'm going to promptly dismiss them.

Anyways. I voted for Murray hoping he could pull out an upset over Brooks as my 5th at large Rep. Turns out it didn't work.

Happy with Thomas, Gilmore Richardson, and Ahmad in particular though. With the exception of Brooks, I feel like this crop of council candidates is better than who they replaced. Still happy Gym is out of government.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

This is the second election in which the turnout (both % and absolute # of votes) was higher in Allegheny County than it was in Philadelphia County, even though Philadelphia is considerably larger. And by a large margin. (358K votes cast in Allegheny, 266K in Philadelphia).

Most Philadelphians have no right to complain about anything at this point. The next time I hear somebody complain about something I'm going to ask them how they voted in off cycle elections then I'm going to promptly dismiss them.

Anyways. I voted for Murray hoping he could pull out an upset over Brooks as my 5th at large Rep. Turns out it didn't work.

Happy with Thomas, Gilmore Richardson, and Ahmad in particular though. With the exception of Brooks, I feel like this crop of council candidates is better than who they replaced. Still happy Gym is out of government.
Agreed and ditto. I think the way going forward would be to make the Philly Dem Party as moderate as possible to counterbalance any gains made by progressives/WFP - more Parkers, Dombs, Greens etc

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
sorry to be that guy...PHL county is at 280k with about 7% to count, should take us right at 300k. Still pathetic. They outvoted us in the mid-terms too if I remember correctly.

Edit- for comparison it was 292k in 2019 and 239k in 2015

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Especially if they get the 2nd street makeover done:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ure-of-nolibs/
It's been 18months since that was released - any movement on this project?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:42 AM

Unpopular intercity bus station at Sixth and Market will be relocated. The bus station will be relocated Nov. 16 to Spring Garden Street at Christopher Columbus Boulevard, where it will remain until a permanent location is found next year.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20231108.html

Weird place for it…

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:43 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Unpopular intercity bus station at Sixth and Market will be relocated. The bus station will be relocated Nov. 16 to Spring Garden Street at Christopher Columbus Boulevard, where it will remain until a permanent location is found next year.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20231108.html

Weird place for it…
Went from a sidewalk to under a highway.

I just dont understand why they dont permanently move it to 30th st, thats the best location for the bus hub.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:53 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:

I think Parker is going to do good, she's a moderate/conservative Dem so she's gonna be more level headed.

I'm very upset with the PhillyGOP, they just dont care, if you look at the voter turn out numbers for past elections the last time Republican voters came out in force was in the 1999 election Sam Katz (203,908) VS Street at (211,136).

The last time before that was in 1987 election Goode (333,254) V.s Rizzo (319,053)

Since the 90's the voter turnout especially on the GOP side has been terrible, I have no idea what occurred, but maybe some of the older forum users can explain to us what happened that killed political turnout in the city.

I think Drew was a good moderate candidate, the WFP is a joke, it's just rebranded progressive Dems, and they are hilariously privileged in thought.

It's also interesting that NE residents don't come out to vote but they complain the loudest, when I went out Tuesday morning it was dead, I was the only person at the polling location at the time.

GOP needs to create a new moderate party like WFP did, and bring in a new generation of younger candidates, who can relate to people, and really put in work to get elected right now they are dead in the water.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
I think Parker is going to do good, she's a moderate/conservative Dem so she's gonna be more level headed.

I'm very upset with the PhillyGOP, they just dont care, if you look at the voter turn out numbers for past elections the last time Republican voters came out in force was in the 1999 election Sam Katz (203,908) VS Street at (211,136).

The last time before that was in 1987 election Goode (333,254) V.s Rizzo (319,053)

Since the 90's the voter turnout especially on the GOP side has been terrible, I have no idea what occurred, but maybe some of the older forum users can explain to us what happened that killed political turnout in the city.

I think Drew was a good moderate candidate, the WFP is a joke, it's just rebranded progressive Dems, and they are hilariously privileged in thought.

It's also interesting that NE residents don't come out to vote but they complain the loudest, when I went out Tuesday morning it was dead, I was the only person at the polling location at the time.

GOP needs to create a new moderate party like WFP did, and bring in a new generation of younger candidates, who can relate to people, and really put in work to get elected right now they are dead in the water.
Well, money doesn't come for free, and when you sign with the GOP to get campaign money, you can't expect to just sever yourself from their toxic baggage at the federal level. I generally think Democrats are terribly clumsy politically, but at least they've managed to rein in their extreme fringes. Not so with the GOP.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:11 PM

Quote:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Cherelle Parker. I was a huge Rhynhart supporter during the primaries, but Parker has grown on me a bit. I am 100% in support of what she plans to do in Kensington. If she can come up with a plan to break up what is essentially an open-air drug market on Kensington Avenue between the Conrail tracks to the south and Amtrak tracks to the north, then this city will be taking a major step forward. With violent crime already trending down pretty significantly this year, I'm confident that breaking the Kensington Avenue drug market would send our violent crime levels below those of 2019.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:43 PM

The problem with the local GOP is the national GOP. It doesn't matter how moderate any individual candidate is, the party as a whole has moved so far to the right that I haven't been able to bring myself to vote for a Republican since Katz, and I know that I'm far from alone on that. Even to protest vote against a Democrat I will not vote for, I'd rather just abstain from that particular race than give even a scintilla of support to the national GOP platform.

It'd be nice for the GOP to moderate back towards the center, but they just keep doubling and tripling down on far right policies that are anathema to me, so I've lost any hope of that happening.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:

I just dont understand why they dont permanently move it to 30th st, thats the best location for the bus hub.
It's in the middle of nowhere. WTF?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about Cherelle Parker. I was a huge Rhynhart supporter during the primaries, but Parker has grown on me a bit. I am 100% in support of what she plans to do in Kensington. If she can come up with a plan to break up what is essentially an open-air drug market on Kensington Avenue between the Conrail tracks to the south and Amtrak tracks to the north, then this city will be taking a major step forward. With violent crime already trending down pretty significantly this year, I'm confident that breaking the Kensington Avenue drug market would send our violent crime levels below those of 2019.
I worry about where that open drug market relocates to? It's not like the drug trade to say "welp, Cherelle's mayor now. I guess we need to go into a legitimate business now."

They might leave the new National Guard policed Kensington, but they're not gonna stop selling junk.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:31 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The problem with the local GOP is the national GOP. It doesn't matter how moderate any individual candidate is, the party as a whole has moved so far to the right that I haven't been able to bring myself to vote for a Republican since Katz, and I know that I'm far from alone on that. Even to protest vote against a Democrat I will not vote for, I'd rather just abstain from that particular race than give even a scintilla of support to the national GOP platform.

It'd be nice for the GOP to moderate back towards the center, but they just keep doubling and tripling down on far right policies that are anathema to me, so I've lost any hope of that happening.
100%. As evidenced by national election results, the GOP needs to get back to the basics. As trivial as it may be to some, until the GOP largely embraces or moves past same-sex marriage, the bizarre anti-trans agenda, and the fight against reproductive rights, they will rarely get my vote.

However, on a local level, occasionally good GOP candidates emerge, like Drew Murray (he is a former Democrat though).

I won't get political beyond that.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Nov 9, 2023 at 3:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:

I voted for Drew Murray but one thing that gave me pause about him was an interview he gave to the Inquirer where he said he voted for Trump because he's a party person. I don't know why he would do that if he's trying to show his independence. I doubt that made much of a difference for the election but it sure undercut my view of him as a moderate. For me, standing against Trumpism is like the bare minimum for anyone claiming to be a moderate.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:

It's really disgraceful.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
It's really disgraceful.
Indeed. It seems like a no-brainer to build a real bus terminal adjacent to 30th St. Station. Where is all that infrastructure money?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development