HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The veggies might be grade A but....meats @ P Hotline are low end.
Za Pizza uses somewhat better quality meats, but even better are found @ the independent pizza places.
It is usually worth it to pay the extra and receive fresh quality goods I have found. I am always disappointed when I try saving a few $ and get crappy food quality.
Yup, pretty much my take on it. Don't want to spread nasty rumours. But when I worked at Hotline a decade or so ago, the chicken wings used to come from Brazil. Just like Chevy motors. Said so right on the box they came out of. That was prior to their efforts to upgrade quality and the expanded menu. So there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.
Yes, I believe they originated from the old Mr Bones. The rare times I order pizza at home, it will be from Dominos or Gondolas. But for a quick snack, both Hotline and Za are good.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day.
I've been curious about this.

I remember as a kid back in the late 80s/early 90s, I would come into Winnipeg for the weekend and stay at my Aunt's place downtown and I'm pretty sure we would get Pizza Hotline even back then, but it was closer to what Santa Lucia serves than what it is now (I specifically remember them using canned mushrooms and the pizza being cut in squares).

When did Pizza Hotline start?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
The story I heard is Pizza Hotline basically started from the ashes of deep discount Mr Bones back in the day. Since then other deep discount places like Little Ceasars and Pizza Pizza have entered the market so there wasn't a lot of choice but to try and move up market some.

In terms of the quality of Pizza Hotline and Za Bistro, sure they aren't Pizzeria Gusto high end but for a quick lunch downtown they are very hard to beat and offer a good product for the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
I've been curious about this.

I remember as a kid back in the late 80s/early 90s, I would come into Winnipeg for the weekend and stay at my Aunt's place downtown and I'm pretty sure we would get Pizza Hotline even back then, but it was closer to what Santa Lucia serves than what it is now (I specifically remember them using canned mushrooms and the pizza being cut in squares).

When did Pizza Hotline start?

Really don't think Pizza Hotline has anything to do with Mr. Bones. They co-existed for many years (and do currently).

Jerry Cianflone (Pizza Hotline) opened the first restaurant in 1987 on St Annes. Second on Corydon. Then started franchising out in the early 1990's.

Harold Brazil was behind Mr. Bones which was opened from 1988 to 2004. He changed careers then re-opend Mr. Bones in 2013 on McPhillips.

WFP story on re-opening of Mr. Bones: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...231108811.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Marcello's made-to-order pizzas under the Richardson building are pretty good too. I might prefer them to Pizza Hotline. Haven't tried Za yet.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:17 PM

^ Not bad... I'll definitely check it out.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:25 PM

Ya it was almost $11 after tax for just the pizza. I was full after eating, so was worth it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:13 PM

I got a Chicken Delight flyer in the mail yesterday... it was the saddest looking little thing. Haven't been there in decades, but it made me want to go and eat there out of pity for them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I got a Chicken Delight flyer in the mail yesterday... it was the saddest looking little thing. Haven't been there in decades, but it made me want to go and eat there out of pity for them.
Made me laugh!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That was FUNNY. Made me think the last time I ate there was at Inkster and McPhillips in the early 70s!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Chicken Delight was very good back in the 80s. Last time I was at one was 2006; awful.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:12 PM

You think Dominos is better than Hotline? To me, Dominos is the Perkins of pizza--so unjustifiably bad I don't understand how they exist.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:42 PM

Positive thing bout Pizza Hotline at WS.

First off, delicious. Fantastic.

Secondly, you just keep saying "no, more please" to ANY ITEM, including any plurality of meats, and they just keep piling it on... no change in price!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 11:20 PM

^^ Also if you want "double meat" or something it isn't two separate items at Pizza Hotline in Winnipeg Square, even double cheese!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
^^ Also if you want "double meat" or something it isn't two separate items at Pizza Hotline in Winnipeg Square, even double cheese!
I've definitely loaded up 3 pizzas worth of ingredients onto one to the tune of only $12

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
You think Dominos is better than Hotline? To me, Dominos is the Perkins of pizza--so unjustifiably bad I don't understand how they exist.
I prefer Domino's over Hotline, yes. Just enjoy it more. However, we'll only order with the show and save coupons. Typical Winnipeg thing, to get a better deal. Sometimes we'll splurge for Pizza Hut. Gondola's is really greasy, but enjoy it as well.

Also, some people really like Perkins. Lol not me.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:47 PM
BANNED

For me Dominos tastes better, especially the pan pizza with the buttery crust--very good. I love the Brooklyn too.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
For me Dominos tastes better, especially the pan pizza with the buttery crust--very good. I love the Brooklyn too.
I agree - Dominos pan pizza is really solid. And a good value.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:43 PM

I noticed the new Tims at Northgate has opened

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
I noticed the new Tims at Northgate has opened
There's one coming soon up the road at Garden City SC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Vera's new restaurant, Super Deluxe, is now open at 433 River (Villa Cabrini)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan