HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:44 PM

Loyal Superstore Shopper

Now, you might be able to back up your other claims but this is clearly a lie. The volume of dairy Superstore sells means that it doesn't have a chance to sit on their shelf very long. If you had claimed the dairy was always sold out that would be far more believable.[/QUOTE]

I would agree for the most part, except for Superstore's produce. I used to be a Safeway shopper way back when and one day, I decided to go to Superstore and buy the same things as I would have bought at Safeway. This was way back in the early 90's and the difference in price was at least fifty dollars, so, I switched. I have had very little issue with anything, except the produce. If one is lucky to be in the presence of a grocery associate unpacking fresh items, then, one can consider oneself lucky. If, on the other hand, the produce has been around for a while, I generally go to other stores for potatoes, onions, lettuce and so on. I have returned bags of moldy potatoes. I have returned rotting cooking onions. Rusted and gooey lettuce does not a good sandwich make.

The other issue I have with Superstore is competitor advertised product availability. Items that are a significant saving miraculously disappear off Superstore's shelves leaving behind those really nice little shelf tickets that say replace stock. No, just bring the stuff back out from the store warehouse area and fulfill your match competitor advertised specials promise.

The dairy has never been outdated except for Superstore's Wholesale Club off Route 90 going North. Then, the milk is reduced by 30%. I always check expiration dates anyway before buying.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:52 PM

^ Superstore's produce looks dreadful for some reason. The stuff at Safeway is often so nice it looks like it's a movie prop, while Superstore is banged up, wilted, you name it. I'm mystified by their inability to put decent looking produce on the floor.

Mind you, Safeway charges $2.50 for a head of iceberg lettuce, so maybe you can afford to provide kid gloves when you're charging those prices.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:53 PM
the first stamp is free

We are Superstore shoppers. The key with Superstore is the day you shop. If you go on Monday or Tuesday nights - it's horrible. Everything has been picked over from the weekend, produce is crappy, etc.

Shopping later in the week or the weekend, other than being busy, it is as good or better than Safeway (product wise) in all respects, expect for perhaps the baked goods.

Superstore produce has a turn over rate that results in freshness (Safeway produce, in comparison, especially staple fruits like apples, oranges, looks and tastes like decorative props). Not to mention selection. No comparison between the two stores. The "superstore produce sucks" is no longer accurate IMO. At least at the Sargent store.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ While Cadillac Fairview may not normally have a grocery chain in its development The Plaza one has included one for some time on the site plans. It was originally going to be east of the Target store. I am also sure they would rather have a grocery store signing a long term lease on the building that letting it sit empty for a long time waiting for the "ideal" tenant.

Now, you might be able to back up your other claims but this is clearly a lie. The volume of dairy Superstore sells means that it doesn't have a chance to sit on their shelf very long. If you had claimed the dairy was always sold out that would be far more believable.
Do not call me Liar please and thank you!
I shop @ Superstore. I tell no lies.
What I am saying , you did not comprehend, is that old carbon dated milk is what often remains. The newer stock is gone. Sometimes none left at all. Older dates is what I often find. The meat is not good at all especially the ground beef products.
Even poultry, Dunn's is better than Granny's which is what they mostly sell.
Anyone knowing about netter quality poultry will be aware of the superior grade Dunn’s offers.

You seem to feel that you are the appointed go to know it all anything retail.
I have been in retail all my life SIR! I am not in the mood for a fight but you seem to know it all and better than everyone?

You seem to get very confrontational with me on any subject I speak of.
Most recently, Sears ! You seem to know by repeating recycled Krap you read about that it is a goner and done! etc etc. Well, time will tell.
It does not matter I am involved with that company and know far more than you but you somehow you just know better than me about them or absolutely anything retail and construction projects it seems. ...anything> ? Interesting?>
When I was involved with THE BAY, they were a goner as well in the early - mid 2000’s and junk bonds is what their stock was being referred to on the stock markets. Seems they pulled it off. Me thinks you speculate way too much!

Last edited by BAKGUY; Jun 10, 2015 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We are Superstore shoppers. The key with Superstore is the day you shop. If you go on Monday or Tuesday nights - it's horrible. Everything has been picked over from the weekend, produce is crappy, etc.

Shopping later in the week or the weekend, other than being busy, it is as good or better than Safeway (product wise) in all respects, expect for perhaps the baked goods.

Superstore produce has a turn over rate that results in freshness (Safeway produce, in comparison, especially staple fruits like apples, oranges, looks and tastes like decorative props). Not to mention selection. No comparison between the two stores. The "superstore produce sucks" is no longer accurate IMO. At least at the Sargent store.
I shop also usually on Sargent, when I have the time. I have no choice but to sometimes go on Monday Tuesday, sometimes Wednesday or Thursday if I can. I do work weekends and some nights so that is my weekly experience.
Some produce is ok and better than before on staples and basics I suppose but not some others as I mentioned. I go for some basics that I can save money on.
The service there is less than adequate.
Most staff are there for the paycheck and could care less about the client!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 5:28 PM

Well another one bites the dust, Blacks is going out of business, guess that frees up a space at St Vital

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:27 PM

Looks like Dollarama is taking over the old Bargain Shop at Jefferson and Main as I see a sign has gone up.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:31 PM

^ Speaking of dollar stores, is it for sure Dollar Tree that is taking over the old Bargain Shop space on Portage by MTS Centre? I seem to recall someone mentioning that...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 1:07 PM

they are curretly spray foaming inside the main floor of the old Bargain Shop on Portage. I hope it's not Dollar Tree......

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:07 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

The other day I noticed paper on the windows and lights one at the former Garden Market IGA on Jefferson and Adsum.

Wonder if they are prepping the space for a new tenant.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:27 PM

Maples IGA Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The other day I noticed paper on the windows and lights one at the former Garden Market IGA on Jefferson and Adsum.

Wonder if they are prepping the space for a new tenant.
I saw that as well. I noticed two large white trucks parked in front with the paper removed from one window and all the lights on. However, the For Lease sign is still affixed to the front doors. I live a few blocks away. I am really hoping it will be a grocery store again. I really miss the convenience factor. I also miss mail home delivery.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 5:36 AM

Gulf Gas Station Is Coming Back Will Bring Gulf Gas Station To Winnipeg http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24927545/

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
I saw that as well. I noticed two large white trucks parked in front with the paper removed from one window and all the lights on. However, the For Lease sign is still affixed to the front doors. I live a few blocks away. I am really hoping it will be a grocery store again. I really miss the convenience factor. I also miss mail home delivery.
This is supposed to be a new Lucky's Supermarket.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Gulf Gas Station Is Coming Back Will Bring Gulf Gas Station To Winnipeg http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24927545/
Now there's a blast from the past. They used to be a common sight around here until Petro Canada took over their operations back in the 1980s. Many local Petro-Canadas are former Gulf stations.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 8:57 PM

In October 2014 the rumor of Young's Supermarket, not Lucky's, moving into the Maples IGA location started. Around that same time the "for lease" signs at the site changed to "leased". Shortly after the IGA closed there was a lot of activity on the site, the kind of activity the appeared to be preparing a space for a new tenant. That ended though and the "for lease" sign came back up including one specifically in the windows of the IGA location. Unless something has changed again relatively recently the signs suggest nothing is currently happening here.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:28 PM

^ With a federal election coming up, that space would be prime for a returning office or a campaign office... a good way for the landlord to make a few bucks while looking for a permanent tenant

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 1:50 AM

A grocery store for a campaign office? Seems rather large and costly. It's also still months away from the election starting, hasn't even been called yet.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 2:53 AM

Not A Returning Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ With a federal election coming up, that space would be prime for a returning office or a campaign office... a good way for the landlord to make a few bucks while looking for a permanent tenant
I work for Winnipeg North and this will definitely not be a Returning Office.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 5:48 AM

I see Northgate being listed at "under redevelopment", whatever that means. Anyone have any info?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
In October 2014 the rumor of Young's Supermarket, not Lucky's, moving into the Maples IGA location started. Around that same time the "for lease" signs at the site changed to "leased". Shortly after the IGA closed there was a lot of activity on the site, the kind of activity the appeared to be preparing a space for a new tenant. That ended though and the "for lease" sign came back up including one specifically in the windows of the IGA location. Unless something has changed again relatively recently the signs suggest nothing is currently happening here.
Luckys has been doing pre-lease inspections at Maples. Not sure if that lease is signed. Sounds like it's moving forward though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan