HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 3:10 PM

As someone who has created a morning ritual every morning since the webcams were installed, a part of me will be a little sad once the construction is done. It's almost like giving birth to a baby (I imagine), except our 9 months have been 13 years in the making. Once we all give birth to this beautiful tower, and a scar on our city and souls is made just a little better, I imagine I will have a weird type of post-partum depression.

It's odd to say, but it will kind of bring everything full circle for me once again, and even typing this and imagining the completion of this building (and it's horrendous spiroskeletenna) makes me a wee bit emotional. It reminds me of what was and why we're here.

I will miss the daily fussing... the pictures, the anticipation, and even the crazies!

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totojuice View Post
As someone who has created a morning ritual every morning since the webcams were installed, a part of me will be a little sad once the construction is done. It's almost like giving birth to a baby (I imagine), except our 9 months have been 13 years in the making. Once we all give birth to this beautiful tower, and a scar on our city and souls is made just a little better, I imagine I will have a weird type of post-partum depression.

It's odd to say, but it will kind of bring everything full circle for me once again, and even typing this and imagining the completion of this building (and it's horrendous spiroskeletenna) makes me a wee bit emotional. It reminds me of what was and why we're here.

I will miss the daily fussing... the pictures, the anticipation, and even the crazies!
Ha! there is 2 more towers to build yet....we will hopefully have those to watch rise & complain about soon

I went through "post construction depression" after seeing Phillys Comcast building finished.then before I knew it this one started to pop up above ground, there is always something
being built in the world to watch going up.

Look back a few hunderd pages and read the bitchin' about the glass not beeing clear enugh or that it is wavy....once the outside is done the inside and landscaping are next to complain about.

I hate the bare spire and only hope thay add some kind of decoritive element to it. I have voiced my opinion a few times, but dang I'm not on here every 6 hours
crying about the friggin spire. Damn the radome, I for one vote for a GIANT full scale inflatable King Kong to decorate the spire - Just to piss off to the ESB.

Crazies and trolls aside this whole forum is pretty damn cool
Thank goodness for the world wide computer internet web, web cams and locals with digital cameras or we would all be reading about construction updates in the news paper.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 4:45 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
I went through "post construction depression" after seeing Phillys Comcast building finished.then before I knew it this one started to pop up above ground, there is always something
being built in the world to watch going up.
Interestingly, I recall back when Liberty Place was built, the Comcast building was on the horizon, but took years of delays to be built.

Same thing is happening here at the World Trade Center where we have two iconic towers being built, while the other two are delayed (but hopefully, not for long).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:22 PM

Sure, the spire sucks, compared to what was planned. The real problem, of course, is that the whole building sucks.

This is the best NYC can get to replace the Twins?

Don't worry, I won't press this opinion. I know it's not acceptable here and the last time I posted, months ago, I was subject to a vicious attack for expressing it.

But you should ask yourself why you are all lemmings in throwing yourself on this silly banal building. It's tripe, and it's a disgrace to NYC. It may have been fine in Pittsburgh, but not in NYC and certainly not in arguably the most important architectural site in America, where greatness was wanted and mediocrity is what we got.

The spire/mast/antenna is a side issue, a red herring.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 7:59 PM
Mr. Technology

Wow, what an opinion!

Thankfully, I don't agree with it, but that's not going to change the rebuilding efforts.

I am grateful for the many fine folks who risk their lives everyday to build One WTC.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
But you should ask yourself why you are all lemmings in throwing yourself on this silly banal building. It's tripe, and it's a disgrace to NYC. It may have been fine in Pittsburgh, but not in NYC and certainly not in arguably the most important architectural site in America, where greatness was wanted and mediocrity is what we got.
I certainly won't call this building a disgrace but I think NYC deserves something truly incredible as the city's tallest. Something built to the height of the best there was 40 years ago and then sticking a cheap mast on top of it just doesn't cut it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love One WTC and the entire site. I just personally think this building would have suited Houston better than NYC though. But more supertalls are to come so I guess it's no real loss.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post

Don't worry, I won't press this opinion. I know it's not acceptable here and the last time I posted, months ago, I was subject to a vicious attack for expressing it.

That's because this isn't a discussion about the Twins, as your post always seem to be.

remster_9

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
It may have been fine in Pittsburgh
-
Pittsburgh is my favorite city in the country, and it has a great skyline (natural, and man-made), but it has no use for a 1400 foot building.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Mar 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 8:59 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 View Post
I certainly won't call this building a disgrace but I think NYC deserves something truly incredible as the city's tallest. Something built to the height of the best there was 40 years ago and then sticking a cheap mast on top of it just doesn't cut it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love One WTC and the entire site. I just personally think this building would have suited Houston better than NYC though. But more supertalls are to come so I guess it's no real loss.
Good Point of view, and we have 432 PARK THAT WILL BE THE TALLEST

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Sure, the spire sucks, compared to what was planned. The real problem, of course, is that the whole building sucks.

I've thought about this also not saying I don't like 1 WTC or the rest of the towers I love them it's just that I feel they could have done ALOT better design and height wise. The original freedom tower design I would've thought to be fitting it the roof was truly to the full height not with some metal thing on top.
Or my personal feeling is that it should have been 1624 feet to the roof to symbolize the founding of New York then a spire going to 2001 feet to obviously symbolize 9/11 then a beacon sending a beam of light straight up symbolizing that New York has moved on and is looking forward.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:

The two tallest buildings in Lower Manhattan at this moment carry the name "World Trade Center". The taller of the two is the tallest building in New York City, New York state, and the Eastern United States.

"...and you're complaining??? What world do you live in?" -Walt, Breaking Bad

These buildings are visually a lot better to look at than the original towers. These buildings look modern. Instead of 2 tall towers, now we'll get 4 buildings almost all 1,000 feet tall and up.

This is like winning millions of dollars in the MegaMillions lottery and saying "Ehh, it'd be cooler if I won Powerball instead."

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
But you should ask yourself why you are all lemmings in throwing yourself on this silly banal building.
This kind of comment is why you get attacked. You act as if anyone who disagrees with you is a fool.

I don't think your opinion is foolish, though your reasoning doesn't seem to be in line with reality. Why not just give it a rest? You're wasting your own energy.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM

Lol! A lot of 1 WTC hate over here don't think I've seen this much before. I'm not angry; you can all do as you please but I suggest that you don't forget to leave some of that in the 432 Park thread. Not that it will help anything, I just find it hilarious.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 10:17 PM

This building looks great from Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
This building looks great from Grand Army Plaza in Brooklyn.
Thats for sure

Old Posted Mar 15, 2013, 11:12 PM

I love this building. That's just my opinion though, but I think it's great.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:50 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
But you should ask yourself why you are all lemmings in throwing yourself on this silly banal building.
Dude... you're a Douche! We all don't share your opinion.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:51 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:

Damn!!! How do you feel about the Verizon building????

I don't want is durstbag to get his way and have this called a spire, when In most aspects like others were saying, those upper levels of that mast won't stay naked for long, they'll have antennaes uglying it just like ESB,, so therefore it will be an anteennae again.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:30 AM
BANNED

^ It looks alright. Better then any buildings here.
World class building, maybe.

Looks the same.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
JoeCooper

Will there be elevator service up to the 105th floor? I'm sure personell will be going to and from there regularly for maintenance so just wondering if there will be an accessable point directly by elevator.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive