HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 4:57 PM

Austin expands battle with harmful, pet-threatening algae to north shore of Lady Bird Lake

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...le/7582156001/

Why is blue-green algae a problem?

An algae sample taken from Red Bud Isle on May 30 indicated the presence of dihydroanatoxin, a previously detected but potent neurotoxin, Watershed Protection officials said.

"Some species of cyanobacteria, also called blue-green algae, can produce various toxins under the right conditions," the Watershed Protection Department said in a statement last week. "When this occurs, it is called a harmful algae bloom or proliferation."

The toxins not only can make people sick, they can also can be deadly to pets. In 2019, several dogs died after swimming in Lady Bird Lake during a harmful algae bloom.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 7:34 PM

Austin-based Alamo Drafthouse sells art and collectibles arm Mondo to Funko

https://www.statesman.com/story/ente...stin-alamo-dra

The past two years have seen big shake-ups at Alamo Drafthouse, and here's another: The Austin-based movie theater chain on Monday announced that it has sold its Mondo brand to collectibles company Funko.

But according to representatives for Mondo ad Drafthouse, the team behind the collectibles house is sticking together.

Mondo was founded in 2001 by League and Rob Jones. With origins as a T-shirt shop in the original downtown Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, Mondo now sells special-edition screen-printed posters, vinyl soundtracks and other toys and collectibles geared toward cinephiles and fostering the creative work of artists. Over the years, it grew into a cult-favorite phenomenon with its own Austin gallery and a convention.

Alamo Drafthouse co-founder and executive chairman Tim League said in a statement Monday that "Mondo was our saving grace, the only facet of our business that kept the lights on" during a turbulent pandemic, which saw an extended closure of cinemas and the company filing for bankruptcy.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 8:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:51 PM

Westgate Tower Seeks Historic Zoning

https://austin.towers.net/westgate-t...storic-zoning/

A downtown Austin condo tower featuring some of the city’s most famous midcentury architecture is currently seeking historic zoning. Westgate Tower, built as a 26-story apartment building at 1122 Colorado Street in 1966 and converted for condo use in the 1980s, features a striking modernist design by New Formalist architect Edward Durell Stone that proved controversial due to its proximity to the Texas Capitol, eventually serving as one of the main inspirations for the creation of state and local Capitol View Corridor ordinances protecting views of the Capitol dome downtown.

Not everything is historic just because it is over five decades old. And the examples given the the article are shit examples.

So more rich people wanting yet another tax break. Fuck them!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:59 PM

respect for trying but no, definitely not even in the neighborhood of historic

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:57 PM

That building historic? Lol
When I was driving by there in my 1960 MGA roadster while it was under construction one day in 1966, I heard a loud thumping crash.
Heard on the evening news that a worker had fallen to his death.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:33 PM

Small plane crashes into Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin

https://www.kut.org/austin/2022-06-1...owntown-austin

A small plane with one person onboard crashed into Lady Bird Lake around 2 p.m. Thursday, according to Austin-Travis County EMS.

Medics say the plane crashed just west of the I-35 bridge in downtown Austin. The pilot, a game warden with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, was taken to Dell Seton Medical Center with "potentially serious injuries," ATCEMS said.

The TPWD employee was flying the plane as part of a test flight following routine maintenance, department spokesperson Cory Chandler said. Once in the air, he reported having mechanical issues with the 2009 Cessna T206 plane.

Photos and videos from bystanders appeared to show paddleboarders and kayakers helping the pilot after the crash.

The plane was left submerged in the lake just west of the I-35 overpass. Chandler said teams are working on a plan to remove it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:50 PM

Celebrating 21 Years of Downtown Austin’s Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge

https://austin.towers.net/celebratin...strian-bridge/

On June 16, 2001, Austin celebrated the grand opening of the James D. Pfluger Pedestrian and Bicycle Bridge, spanning Lady Bird Lake — well, Town Lake in those days, as longtime locals will berate you in various comment sections — directly east of the Lamar Boulevard bridge. This new car-free thoroughfare offered non-drivers a safer passage across the lake than was possible on the narrow sidewalks and shallow curbs of the increasingly congested Lamar bridge, the site of a number of fatalities including the death of cyclist Chris Kern at the hands of a drunk driver in 1991.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:00 PM
Meh

So, I haven't really mentioned it here, but my little sister had been going through cancer. We lost her on Monday. We set up a Go Fund Me page for them as my brother in law was also laid off last week and they also got the news that their landlord plans to sell the home they had been renting, and they have to be out of there by July 15. Below is the post I made on Facebook letting everyone know and explaining what happened. If you would, please share her Go Fund Me page on social media and please donate if you can.

Here is her obituary.
https://www.allfaithsonline.com/obit...gPuIJiR-bMkVMI

Here is the Go Fund Me page.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/seven-kid...7ikJm3EkTsgW00

She faught a hard battle with it for 2 years 4 months and 29 days. She was an awesome 34 year old wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, cousin and friend. Everyone who knew her loved her and relied on her for something. She was uncommonly brilliant and kind. My siblings have been the best gifts my parents ever gave me, and life without my sister is going to be unimaginably hard.

Melissa was a loving wife to Anthony Longoria and the mother of 7 wonderful kids ages 13 to 2 years old who expanded our family and brought us many more happy memories.
Melissa's family became complete on January 15, 2020 with the birth of Adelyn. That was also the day her battle with cervical cancer began as it was discovered that day.

Melissa and Anthony sold their home last fall and used the proceeds to buy land to build a new forever home on where they could be close to good schools and give their family the home they always wanted. In the meantime, they were renting a home during that process which was delayed that kept them waiting.

This past week, Anthony was laid off from work, which means they won't be able to meet the financial requirments for financing their new home. To make matters worse, their landlord they're renting from is planning to sell the rental house they're in, and they have to be out by July 15. This means they have no place to go. My sister faught hard to live long enough to see them move into their forever home.

On Saturday, she was taken the hospital by ambulance after waking up confused. The cancer had spread to her lungs, bones and to her liver, which caused liver failure due to the tumors. That also caused her blood to no clot properly, which caused a severe brain hemorrage that ultimately led to her being brain dead. She was removed from life support Monday and passed away surrounded by her family holding her.

We're asking for help for her family as they are going to need it. My brother has set up a Go Fund Me profile for them. We're helping them as much as we can, but it's going to be hard.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:38 PM
Member since 2001

Kevin,

I'm deeply saddened to hear about your loss. May God bless you and put His Angels around you and your family through this trying time. May your sister's memory be eternal!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 10:40 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

I’m so sorry Kevin. I can’t even imagine, as my sister is also 34 years old.
Will pray for y’all.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:39 AM

Words cannot express how sorry I am for you and your family. I am truly sorry for your great loss.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 5:25 AM

This is truly sad news for my heart to hear. Sending prayers to you and your family.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 10:56 AM

Absolutley gutted to hear about your loss, Kevin.

I know I don't post often here, but I have been following this board since 2006 when I moved from Austin for college and it has been a constant source of joy for me, in no small part due to your efforts. Thank you for all you do, and again, so sorry for your loss.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 1:15 PM

I'm deeply saddened to hear about your irreplaceable loss. Please accept my condolences and prayers for your sister, for you, and for your family.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Very heartbreaking to hear, my condolences to you and your family Kevin.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 2:28 PM

I’m so sorry Kevin, such a difficult thing for your family. Godspeed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 3:29 PM

So sorry to hear that Kevin. Hang in there buddy.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 4:52 PM

Sorry to hear the news Kevin. my condolences to you and your family.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 7:04 PM

So sorry Kevin. I know what you're going through. I lost my only brother to cancer 12 years ago. He was only 42.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin