HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Now I'm ignorant. Lol. sheesh.
Sorry man, but your post was absolutely ignorant, whether you meant it or not. Go back and reread it. It reeks of the sky is falling, the city is doomed, clutch your pearls and run, abandon all hope ye who enter here, suburban fear-mongering mentality about the city.

Yes, a Target here would do well. No, it can’t be theft related as this store didn’t even fucking open. They pulled out beforehand. It’s clearly financial/interest rate, poor business model and National retail environment related.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:22 PM

Idk if this has been discussed, but Vuori is opening a store on Walnut and Atmos is closing (all US stores). Vuori is a competitor to Athleta and Lululemon. Coincidentally, I saw someone wearing their clothes at La chinesca this past weekend. Not my style, but glad to see popular athleisure brands are coming to the city! Also A new high end homes good shop (Quail Store) opened at 13th and spruce! Really nice stuff on par with many Boutiques you would find in the trendier parts of NYC or LA. Lastly, there is a ton of leasing momentum in Point Breeze. Just between Ellesworth and Tasker, Broad to 20th there is like 4-5 new businesses opening from cafes to a clay studio/workplace. Really insane to see this much change in a few years.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
40 Units Almost Complete Near 676 On Ramp at 8th & Callowhill

Today:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...th-callowhill/
I love to see Callowhill being built up but my goodness we need traffic calming devices and design on that street and 8th street. Similar to 5th street. It's straight up not safe to walk or bike around there because of the speeding cars.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Sorry man, but your post was absolutely ignorant, whether you meant it or not. Go back and reread it. It reeks of the sky is falling, the city is doomed, clutch your pearls and run, abandon all hope ye who enter here, suburban fear-mongering mentality about the city.

Yes, a Target here would do well. No, it can’t be theft related as this store didn’t even fucking open. They pulled out beforehand. It’s clearly financial/interest rate, poor business model and National retail environment related.
Honestly, I could see Target having that perspective of a suburban viewpoint as I presume that's where most of the decision makers probably live. However, the fact that retail theft is up almost 30% year over year in Philly doesn't help combat that perception.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:05 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
However, the fact that retail theft is up almost 30% year over year in Philly doesn't help combat that perception.
Do you have a source to cite for that supposed statistical fact? And what year over what year?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Do you have a source to cite for that supposed statistical fact? And what year over what year?
https://phillypolice.com/crime-maps-stats

Weekly reports

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:38 PM
Midrise

Quote:

Weekly reports

Interesting.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:

Weekly reports

Or it could just mean enforcement is up, which would be a positive leading indicator into future decreases.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I could see Target having that perspective of a suburban viewpoint as I presume that's where most of the decision makers probably live. However, the fact that retail theft is up almost 30% year over year in Philly doesn't help combat that perception.
While I don't care enough to put in this much research, it would be interesting to see the retail theft rates in other cities where they are planning stores. I would assume St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, LA, and NYC (all on the list of upcoming stores: https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores) have experienced upticks as well. For example, I know there was a 44% increase in NYC from 2021 to 2022 and they are still getting new stores.

Side note: It's annoying that all of the local news outlets have been reposting this article every 8 hours on twitter and facebook for days now, and the anti-Philly trolls are just LOVING it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post
While I don't care enough to put in this much research, it would be interesting to see the retail theft rates in other cities where they are planning stores. I would assume St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, LA, and NYC (all on the list of upcoming stores: https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores) have experienced upticks as well. For example, I know there was a 44% increase in NYC from 2021 to 2022 and they are still getting new stores.

Side note: It's annoying that all of the local news outlets have been reposting this article every 8 hours on twitter and facebook for days now, and the anti-Philly trolls are just LOVING it.
Agree, I doubt fear theft was why the store was cancelled, and if by chance it was, then shame on Target and their sh*tty uninformed corporate expansion team.

And figured that would happen. What a sad existence to take to social media and trash Philly because Target decided not to open... Misery loves company I guess...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Agree, I doubt fear theft was why the store was cancelled, and if by chance it was, then shame on Target and their sh*tty uninformed corporate expansion team.

And figured that would happen. What a sad existence to take to social media and trash Philly because Target decided not to open... Misery loves company I guess...
Yeah. Meanwhile Sprouts has planned 3 stores in the city, Giant has one planned for Broad and Washington, Lidl at Broad and Girard, Aldi at 22nd and Washington, and so on.... somehow these don't get 1/10th of the coverage as one Target being cancelled.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Lastly, there is a ton of leasing momentum in Point Breeze. Just between Ellesworth and Tasker, Broad to 20th there is like 4-5 new businesses opening from cafes to a clay studio/workplace. Really insane to see this much change in a few years.
I love to hear that Point Breeze is finally starting to see more retail! When my wife and I were looking for a house back in early 2022, we agreed that PB would be a nice fit, but its lack of retail compared to East Passyunk and Graduate Hospital was a turn off. I'm glad that this is changing. If Point Beeze Avenue could be rezoned to CMX-2.5, the PB side of Washington Avenue allowed for high density, and Childs Elementary School could continue to improve, PB could be one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. It would also supercharge growth in Grays Ferry.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post

They all absolutely have. The suburbs face it too. There was just $30k stolen from Gucci in KOP - but very little coverage of it. I have a friend who works for Lululemon and retail theft is up almost everywhere, it’s a national problem.

https://www.fox29.com/news/police-ma...ia-gucci-store

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
They all absolutely have. The suburbs face it too. There was just $30k stolen from Gucci in KOP - but very little coverage of it. I have a friend who works for Lululemon and retail theft is up almost everywhere, it’s a national problem.

https://www.fox29.com/news/police-ma...ia-gucci-store
Yep. Exactly. There was also a $43K watch just stolen from Breitling in King of Prussia. Meanwhile, 20 new stores are set to open in KOP.

However, the media and the city hating lowlifes continue to pounce on Philadelphia…. and companies who’ve made poor business decisions when it comes to the city use retail theft as a scapegoat.

My biggest point in this conversation is Wawa. How come they can’t seem to figure out how to run a store in the city but Old Nelson can with few problems? I mean, just look at their store locations. They’re located where Wawa claims they can no longer operate due to retail theft. They’re significantly better quality and selection than Wawa too by the way.

It’s really funny to me how the media and suburban fear mongering can drive trends in this country. It’s unfortunate that the majority of this country lives in suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I love to hear that Point Breeze is finally starting to see more retail! When my wife and I were looking for a house back in early 2022, we agreed that PB would be a nice fit, but its lack of retail compared to East Passyunk and Graduate Hospital was a turn off. I'm glad that this is changing. If Point Beeze Avenue could be rezoned to CMX-2.5, the PB side of Washington Avenue allowed for high density, and Childs Elementary School could continue to improve, PB could be one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city. It would also supercharge growth in Grays Ferry.
I don't get over there often but the two times I passed through this fall, it was really shocking how few street trees there are. Passed by several block with many new homes and hardly any trees. Hopefully that'll change. From the car the revamp of Wharton Sq Park looks great though.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I don't get over there often but the two times I passed through this fall, it was really shocking how few street trees there are. Passed by several block with many new homes and hardly any trees. Hopefully that'll change. From the car the revamp of Wharton Sq Park looks great though.
Living there in the summer REALLY sucked. It gets super hot. Ive read that the original European immigrants in the area didn't want street trees for visibility down the block from their windows, and a lot of south Philly just never changed

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Living there in the summer REALLY sucked. It gets super hot. Ive read that the original European immigrants in the area didn't want street trees for visibility down the block from their windows, and a lot of south Philly just never changed
Didn't you know? TREES ARE DIRTY.

Said my uncle Geno from Sicily.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
When we were house shopping in south Philly years ago, our S Philly native realtor said there was a generation of people that thought trees brought rodents/bugs etc and didn’t want them. I forget the specifics now, but it was intentional.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Didn't you know? TREES ARE DIRTY.

Said my uncle Geno from Sicily.
In my experience/recollections, most European cities and towns I've been to have trees in courtyards, plazas, pocket parks, etc. but not on sidewalks or between the sidewalks and the street. I think many blocks here look ugly without street trees partially because they can hide unkempt houses and those darn power lines.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 6:30 PM

Trees make a massive difference ascetically but I also understand how they wreck havoc on narrow Philly streets with roots getting into pipes, powerlines, broken sidewalks etc. Burying power lines would be the best thing for getting more street trees. These blocks are 1 block away in Graduate Hospital...quite the difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development