HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
the original world trade center mechanical floors were 7/8 41/42 75/76 108/109 they were like 3 buildings stack on top of each other sky lobbies were 44/78...
Right, and those floors contained electrical transformers and elevator machinery. The really heavy MEP equipment (HVAC, chillers, generators, etc.) was all underground.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:56 AM

Cladding

Does anybody have an idea/prediction of when the cladding will be fully completed? Also, when are we expecting the spire to reach its maximum height?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viciousial View Post
Does anybody have an idea/prediction of when the cladding will be fully completed? Also, when are we expecting the spire to reach its maximum height?
I predict the spire will be completed at the latest May (no delays). As for the cladding it should go for the rest of the year to early 2014. That's my best estimate for the tower so far.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCman7301 View Post
I predict the spire will be completed at the latest May (no delays). As for the cladding it should go for the rest of the year to early 2014. That's my best estimate for the tower so far.
i think its all going to be done before may cladding and spire completion

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Filipe- View Post
i think its all going to be done before may cladding and spire completion
Well I don't know about the base because on the east side they are still using the elevators and that could take more than May to complete. We need Otie for this prediction/answer.

Last edited by WTCman7301; Feb 28, 2013 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCman7301 View Post
It's not going to take the rest of the year to early 2014 to clad up to the roof.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:55 AM
I <3 New York

This may be stupid question, but how will the cranes be taken down once the building is finished? First crane can be disassembled and lowered by the second crane but how will the remaining pieces be lowered. Tnx.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:00 AM

Im gonna say that cladding and spire construction will finish up maybe at the beginning of summer. As for an opening of the building, I wouldn't expect it to open until late 2013 or early 2014. The cranes by the way can be taken down in many different methods. It will be dissembled into small pieces and either taken down piece by piece using a separate crane, a helicopter, or elevators.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex14469 View Post
This may be stupid question, but how will the cranes be taken down once the building is finished? First crane can be disassembled and lowered by the second crane but how will the remaining pieces be lowered. Tnx.
Not a stupid question at all. I have a feeling they may utilize a skycrane helicopter to remove the last crane.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
It's not going to take the rest of the year to early 2014 to clad up to the roof.
I didn't mean the curtain wall would clad up to the roof, I meant the base cladding. The curtain wall could also be done by May, as for the base cladding because there is that service elevator on the east side the base glass may take a little while longer to complete, but only way to find out is to watch the time go by... In this case for OneWTC the time will fly.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 6:05 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
!! WOW !!
That's an impressive shot there, NewYorkDominates!
It just invites you to walk on the water itself.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 8:26 AM

Ugh, the "spire" looks like a little black stick in these latest videos and photos when viewed from a distance... The proportions are just way out of whack.. It looks so tiny compared to the massive building it is sitting on top of.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 8:32 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
There were mechanical floors on 108/109 (as well as other floors), but most of the HVAC and mechanical equipment was contained in a central plant on the basement floors below the complex.

Unlike the original towers though, 1WTC is self-contained and doesn't have a central plant.
Then it was a must that the parpet went up to where it did, even though the 105th floor is below the parpet what sits on it would have put the building to the same height. Also what's on top needed to be hidden from both the elements and being seen thus putting the roof on par with the parpet.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
AGREE!!
Lot of people mistake radome for Gold
I see radome bad for itself and inconsistent with glass
For me the most horrible on the photo is not the spire on this photo ; it's WTC 2 and 3 who are not build !

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheLens827 View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR POSTING SOME OF MY PICS NYguy! I will have a slideshow coming up on my "GFJVideoProductions" youtube channel.
I noticed that you have a lot of pictures that could/should be posted. Nice shots.

http://www.ibtimes.com/one-world-tra...hattan-1106607

One World Trade Center Construction Remains On Schedule As Crowning Spire Rises Over Manhattan

By Connor Adams Sheets
February 28 2013

Quote:
On Wednesday, a Port Authority of New York & New Jersey spokesperson spoke with the International Business Times about the tower's progress, and confirmed that much work has been done since the spire arrived at the construction site. "We have 12 pieces of the spire currently up. There’s 18 [pieces to the spire] so it's not there yet," the spokesperson said, adding that as for the date when the spire's installation will be completed, "I would say sometime first quarter [of 2013] or early second."

But the claim that the building will be considered taller than the 1,451-foot Willis Tower in Chicago was called into question.....The Port Authority spokesman rejected that argument on its face, saying that the decision not to apply radome will not jeopardize the building's status of largest in the hemisphere once its construction wraps.

"We took the radome off the building, which is an aesthetic choice that has nothing to do with the spire. It was an aesthetic choice," the spokesman stated. "It actually is a spire and I think that if you look at places like the Empire State Building, they, I think, also call their spire an antenna. It did not impact the height is the short answer."

Boy, if folks at the Port Authority are this clueless about it, is it any wonder we're getting this mess? Also, it's interesting to see they've gone from a "maintenance" issue to an "aesthetic choice" concerning the radome. They make it sound as if the radome was just going to be a sheet thrown over the antenna to hide its ugliness.

And as usual, no mention of what was originally planned as an open air spire...

doma0017

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Nice antenna on Beekman...

Quote:
"We took the radome off the building, which is an aesthetic choice that has nothing to do with the spire. It was an aesthetic choice," the spokesman stated. "It actually is a spire and I think that if you look at places like the Empire State Building, they, I think, also call their spire an antenna. It did not impact the height is the short answer."
You gotta be kidding me! Morons. And the ESB is not 1472' but 1250' because it has an antenna on top of the spire.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Not a stupid question at all. I have a feeling they may utilize a skycrane helicopter to remove the last crane.
Agree, at least thae same for repair the spire

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I noticed that you have a lot of pictures that could/should be posted. Nice shots.

http://www.ibtimes.com/one-world-tra...hattan-1106607

One World Trade Center Construction Remains On Schedule As Crowning Spire Rises Over Manhattan

By Connor Adams Sheets
February 28 2013

Boy, if folks at the Port Authority are this clueless about it, is it any wonder we're getting this mess? Also, it's interesting to see they've gone from a "maintenance" issue to an "aesthetic choice" concerning the radome. They make it sound as if the radome was just going to be a sheet thrown over the antenna to hide its ugliness.

And as usual, no mention of what was originally planned as an open air spire...

doma0017

Let's see the radome from "live" no rendering:

http://http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/radome

from wikipedia

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:04 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:

I for one could give two shits about the height! It's the appearance that matters most to me! That being said I will wait for the final product before I put it on blast or not.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
You gotta be kidding me! Morons. And the ESB is not 1472' but 1250' because it has an antenna on top of the spire.
Yeah, that was pretty painful to read.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive