HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 2:30 PM

Retail news is slow in Moncton when all we have to talk about is Christmas discount stores...
With how well the economy is doing, I'm not surprised.
Other than BPS, it's really slow at Champlain Place, I haven't seen the mall in such a slump in a long time, they really needed this (BPS).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Retail news is slow in Moncton when all we have to talk about is Christmas discount stores...
With how well the economy is doing, I'm not surprised.
Other than BPS, it's really slow at Champlain Place, I haven't seen the mall in such a slump in a long time, they really needed this (BPS).
Yeah I must agree Champlain place has definitely lost a edge on the retail business and to see some empty storefronts in the mall is scaring me. I thought when Bluenotes moved from their old spot in the mall to close to Boathouse was i thought a store like Hollister would have taken over that spot rather than that home decor store that's in place there. I hope that when Bass Pro opens in that area will rejuvenate the mall.

In the news of Bass Pro Shops i am hearing news that they are expecting anywhere from 10-15K people for the grand opening.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 7:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Yeah I must agree Champlain place has definitely lost a edge on the retail business and to see some empty storefronts in the mall is scaring me. I thought when Bluenotes moved from their old spot in the mall to close to Boathouse was i thought a store like Hollister would have taken over that spot rather than that home decor store that's in place there. I hope that when Bass Pro opens in that area will rejuvenate the mall.
There isn't the line-up of new stores to get into Champlain Place like there used to be, that's for sure.

To be honest, I think a lot of this has to do with the current status of retail in the country, with a lot of contraction in those middle-of-the-road retailers that used to populate malls like Champlain Place. The sectors that are growing now are the high end retailers that locate in super regional malls in the largest cities, and the big box and off price retailers that locate in suburban strips and power centre.

Champlain Place has had some success with higher end retailers like Fossil, Victoria's Secret and Gap, but most of the new high end stuff wouldn't look at a mall in a city with less than 500,000 people (preferably a million).

I agree that Bass Pro Shops could be a game changer for Champlain Place. If this is able to boost the retail numbers (sales per sq ft) for the mall, then the mall might be able to inch closer to a "super regional" status and this might pique the interest of new retailers to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
In the news of Bass Pro Shops i am hearing news that they are expecting anywhere from 10-15K people for the grand opening.
I'm not surprised. The place will be a zoo. I think people are more excited and intrigued by Bass Pro Shops than they were about Cabela's, and Cabela's did pretty well during their opening celebrations too.

I hope they have good crowd control......

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 8:51 PM

I noticed the old Smart set in Champlain has a construction wall up I'm willing to throw a guess that this is coming :http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...528095011.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 9:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good guess. I'd wager you're right on this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 10:53 PM

Alright MonctonRad. Trying this picture thing...practice makes perfect...Trying the photobucket thing. This is a pic of the Superstore. Frontage removed for Giant Tiger.[IMG][/IMG] success!!!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 11:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good stuff bigrivernb

Looking forward to more pictures from you!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrivernb View Post
Alright MonctonRad. Trying this picture thing...practice makes perfect...Trying the photobucket thing. This is a pic of the Superstore. Frontage removed for Giant Tiger.[IMG][/IMG] success!!!

Good Stuff... I Found out that this was possibly the location that was assumed for the new Strip mall Next to Shoppers Drug Mart in Dieppe. My sources But there is still a big possibility there would be a 3rd location, in Dieppe(Dieppe Blvd Area, and possibly a 4th Riverview(Whitepine/Findlay area). Neither are yet confirmed

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 1:57 AM

Looks like HYBA is coming to CF champlain place.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 2:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Your hunch was obviously a good one!

This means that no Reitman's properties were lost in Moncton with their corporate reorganization. Smart Set at Wheeler Park became the second Pennington's in the city. Smart Set at Champlain is becoming their new activewear brand HYBA.

I consider this a vote of confidence in the city......

http://www.reitmans.com/en/hyba-activewear

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 11:37 AM

The woman in that photo obviously tripped on something.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:15 PM

Anyone know what is going on at the old Acura dealership on Baig Blvd.? They have resurfaced the parking lot and put in posts for a fence around the front of the property. A used car dealership maybe?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 4:26 PM

I don't do yoga, I'm not a woman, but Lululemon would've been more of a catch than this unknown brand really.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:20 PM

From a really reliable source, it appears that Campbell Auto Sales will be setting up shop in the former Precision Acura.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 6:36 PM

The signs on the Tailor Ford on Lewisville Road has no more signs on the front, and a major part of the building's front section is fenced off... They must be refacing the building...

As for Lululemon I think it was last year that I had heard that there was a possibility for a Moncton Location but that seems to have fallen threw. There might still be a possibility of one opening up somewhere in Moncton with all the construction now, and also some construction set for the future as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 8:03 PM

Taylor Ford has been having a huge car sale to make room for a new factility according to their current radio ads.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 1:58 PM

I was at superstore main street today and noticed that there was a stop work order posted on the construction site there....Basically says construction is underway without compliance of city of moncton building bylaw Z-410. section 93. They must stop work until the requested building permit and development permit have been issued. Interesting.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrivernb View Post
I was at superstore main street today and noticed that there was a stop work order posted on the construction site there....Basically says construction is underway without compliance of city of moncton building bylaw Z-410. section 93. They must stop work until the requested building permit and development permit have been issued. Interesting.
I think it was posted Yesterday or Thursday. I seen someone who looked like a building inspector when I was out at that end. Either that or it was previously posted, and they where checking for compliance. It is unfortunate because it could take time to obtain all the proper permits, and would delay the potential opening of the Giant Tiger. By the way it looks like it's going to be larger then the Mapleton Road location from what I could see anyway.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I think it was posted Yesterday or Thursday. I seen someone who looked like a building inspector when I was out at that end. Either that or it was previously posted, and they where checking for compliance. It is unfortunate because it could take time to obtain all the proper permits, and would delay the potential opening of the Giant Tiger. By the way it looks like it's going to be larger then the Mapleton Road location from what I could see anyway.
I heard that when this store is done, they will be expanding the Mapleton store into part of be old Co-op. Supposedly to have a bigger grocery selection.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I heard that when this store is done, they will be expanding the Mapleton store into part of be old Co-op. Supposedly to have a bigger grocery selection.
Well lets hope so because we've been asking for a bigger store for a long time. and I thought after XS Cargo closed up shop that Dollarama was going to move in there taking part of there old location, and Giant Tiger would have taken the rest of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces