HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
It sounds as if they are planning major improvements to their tunneling capabilities. The company may turn out to be more capable than some want to believe.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The company may turn out to be more capable than some want to believe.
lol. We believe what we see. When they start making useful tunnels then I'll change what I believe they can do. HOPEFULLY, they give up on trying to make 12' tunnels happen and figure out a way to make larger tunnels just as affordably. I'll be very happy if that happens.

I will say that I think this has tremendous potential if they can actually fit the containers in and move them reliably:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:11 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
lol. We believe what we see. When they start making useful tunnels then I'll change what I believe they can do. HOPEFULLY, they give up on trying to make 12' tunnels happen and figure out a way to make larger tunnels just as affordably. I'll be very happy if that happens.

I will say that I think this has tremendous potential if they can actually fit the containers in and move them reliably:
In order to make larger tunnels affordable, they first have to make smaller tunnels affordable with a technology that is expandable. If you’re asking them to give up the former, you’re also asking them to abandon the latter.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
In order to make larger tunnels affordable, they first have to make smaller tunnels affordable with a technology that is expandable. If you’re asking them to give up the former, you’re also asking them to abandon the latter.
Why is that true? Did they start at 8' tunnels before 12'? or 4? or 1'?'

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:00 PM

Quote:

ladies and gentlemen...we found the tunnel expert

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:18 PM

I remember when SpaceX revealed their first Starship prototype, people made fun of all kinds of things about it, from shape ("it looks like a water tower!") to materials used ("stainless steel for a space rocket? haha!").

Just two years later, when SpaceX successfully launched and then landed it, those people were no longer laughing.

I predict that Boring Company will follow a similar trajectory.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:26 PM
Resident Moron

Also the current issue is a container shortage as much as anything.

We can't book travel past the ports because the shipping companies are making us unload containers onto trucks at the port instead of using rail to move them inland so that they can have them back to send back to China.

Literally I've got 5 containers worth of good stuck in china looking for containers.

This is one of those things where leeroy jenkinsing in and fixing one problem when there are interconnected capacity issues that this wouldn't solve is pretty on brand for Elon.

That dude would cut the Gordian knot and then find out it was supporting the floor.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:30 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I remember when SpaceX revealed their first Starship prototype, people made fun of all kinds of things about it, from shape ("it looks like a water tower!") to materials used ("stainless steel for a space rocket? haha!").

Just two years later, when SpaceX successfully launched and then landed it, those people were no longer laughing.

SpaceX had 4 explosions before it found success last month. SpaceX isn't a failure, but it's not blue origin either.

Like, Musk isn't an idiot and he's really accomplished but he also thinks a million people will live on Mars in... 28 years from now?

He promises a massive amount of things he can't deliver and then winds up delivering in-line with what competitors are.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post

Nothing would make me happier.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
SpaceX had 4 explosions before it found success last month. SpaceX isn't a failure, but it's not blue origin either.

Like, Musk isn't an idiot and he's really accomplished but he also thinks a million people will live on Mars in... 28 years from now?

He promises a massive amount of things he can't deliver and then winds up delivering in-line with what competitors are.
which competitor is delivering products in-line with Tesla, SpaceX, Starlink, etc...?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Blue Origin has a long way to go to catch up to Space X. Space X has been delivering to the space station where Blue Origin is not.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:34 PM

Boring Co tunnels would actually be hugely useful to connect the two Apple campi.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:47 PM

in b4 someone suggests "a boring thread"

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:35 PM

Rumors of something going on between Tesla and Travis County?

https://twitter.com/KUTnathan/status...16059959230472

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 1:45 PM

Boring Co. has purchased 73 acres in Bastrop.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...n-bastrop.html

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Rumors of something going on between Tesla and Travis County?

https://twitter.com/KUTnathan/status...16059959230472
I really hope they don’t give them anything.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
They already did give them something. Not sure what this new business could be about.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
They already did give them something. Not sure what this new business could be about.
Maybe negotiating for the other 5k jobs Elon mentioned recently in a tweet? Battery production division, or possibly an HQ?

A battery production division could possibly bring a whole different set of ancillary suppliers along with it.

Though there is a possibility that they are trying to find a way to reneg on the original deal with Tesla. Meeting with lawyers in executive session sounds ominous. You never know. Andy Brown is not exactly a moderate Dem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Nothing is free in this world, bub. Sometimes you've gotta give a little to get a little, sometimes to get a lot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
Meeting with lawyers in executive session sounds ominous.
This is pretty common in government when dealing with matters that aren't public yet. Contract negotiations are a common topic in these sorts of executive sessions. Lawyers would always be present in these. As long as they don't vote on anything, it's kosher.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:48 PM

Tesla Energy, Brookfield and Dacra Announce the Development of Large-Scale Sustainable Neighborhood in Austin, Texas

July 09, 2021 15:00 ET | Source: Brookfield Asset Management Inc

BROOKFIELD, NEWS, July 09, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla Energy, Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (“Brookfield” or “BAM”) (NYSE: BAM; TSX: BAM.A) and Dacra today announced a new initiative, provisionally named SunHouse at Easton Park, the first Tesla Solar neighborhood and the nation’s most sustainable residential community. Combining the real estate expertise of Brookfield and Dacra with Tesla Energy’s innovative products and knowledge, the state-of-the-art sustainable features will be installed in phases to allow for ongoing learning and innovation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin