HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:54 AM

Here is another cool time lapse by Priestly Demolition over 4 months from start to finish.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 10:12 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

FFS... get it together.

Coastal Church, Newfoundland by tvdflickr, on Flickr

I just don't get it. And it can't be because someone has a backroom deal for something else to go on the site because it's in the middle of a fucking graveyard.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 22, 2015 at 10:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:33 PM

I get that some old buildings fall victim to changing circumstances and either fall apart through neglect or must be demolished because no one can afford the upkeep, etc. But I'll never understand why some people actively cheer for the demolition of heritage buildings. What is the reasoning behind that?

"Hey, do you think if they finally tear down this ugly old courthouse there's a chance that we might actually get a Qdoba location here?"

Good grief.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
FFS... get it together.

Coastal Church, Newfoundland by tvdflickr, on Flickr

I just don't get it. And it can't be because someone has a backroom deal for something else to go on the site because it's in the middle of a fucking graveyard.
I believe the plan is to use the site to expand the cemetery.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are already graves under the church, though. I don't think they'd allow digging those people up would they?

Esquire: it's bay politics. There's something going on. Callers on Open Line from the town say the issue has completely and bitterly divided the community over the past decade. Three men even ripped the steeple off the church with a pick up truck months ago. One of the guys who did it since died and other people nailed his grave marker to the steeple ruins. No one knows why they won't let all the organizations who want to save it do so. But it's definitely something stupid and petty and personal.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:10 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
FFS... get it together.

Yep. I lived in St. Philips when it was in the news. I wrote a blog post.

Here is a Church and Here isn't the Steeple

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:53 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:53 PM
Hammer'd

Aw no way Montreal. That building is a gem and theres no way I can believe that it's structurally unsound. Dammmn
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

too bad. Has it been condemned?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Aw no way Montreal. That building is a gem and theres no way I can believe that it's structurally unsound. Dammmn
It's going down.

It's not because of an unsound structure - it's infested with mold and they couldn't keep any piece of it. They're saving the old school entrance but it won't be touching the new building and you won't be able to walk through it, kind of off-limit...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:40 PM

"it's infested with mold and they couldn't keep any piece of it" When I hear excuses like that I always find it hard to believe.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
"it's infested with mold and they couldn't keep any piece of it" When I hear excuses like that I always find it hard to believe.
As someone who's some of it (mould remediation) in the past few years, it's very labour intensive and expensive to treat a whole building. Not just a matter of going in and fogging it once or twice anymore. One that large... wow.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:03 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Maybe it's true that "nothing could be done" at that point, but then the shame remains on the owners for letting it get that bad to begin with. Letting a historical building decay to the point that it's unsalvageable and then claim that there are no options but demolition should not be an acceptable excuse for anything.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:59 PM
arf

It reminds me of Connaught School in Regina which was just demolished last fall in Regina.

Source: Heritage Canada

Source: Prairie Dog Magazine

Group Collects Bricks of Demolished Connaught School at Landfill to Reuse. Because Regina is so brain-dead when it comes to tradition and history that we have to sift through the garbage to find our heritage.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
That thing looked in bitchin' good shape. The "too much mold" excuse is B.S. We've seen buildings in WAY worse shape inside and out saved.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 8:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A happy one.

The old Superior Rubber Factory in Holyrood, just outside the boundary of the St. John's CMA, has been demolished. A local developer wants to build a typical suburban business park in its place.

This was one of the many infamous projects that came during Joey Smallwood's 20-year rule. He was absolutely enamored with the appearance and economic function of Central Canadian factories (hence the appearance of most public buildings constructed during his 20-year rule).

His numerous pet projects, which all but bankrupted us, tried to push outport fishermen to instead build hockey sticks, rubber boots that fell apart almost immediately, and - most famously - a greenhouse for cucumbers in a place where most consumers didn't even know what they were.

Good fucking riddance - though it was one of the nicer buildings from that era. It'd be great as a farmers market in town.

Quote:
A rubber plant that sat idle for nearly 60 years in Holyrood was demolished Thursday to make way for future development.

Superior Rubber Limited opened in 1954 and was operated by Ludwig Grube to make rubber boots and clothing in the town 40 kilometres outside of St. John's.

It was part of former premier Joey Smallwood's short-lived industrial dream for the province.

The factory was shuttered in 1956 after it was reportedly poorly managed and turned out defective boots with second-hand machinery.

"Joey was out there trying to get some industrial development back here in Newfoundland. Most time it didn't work out for whatever reason," said Gary Stafford, co-owner of A&S Holdings, which is working with the town to develop the land.

For decades the empty building's condition had been deteriorating until Thursday when a wrecking ball brought the structure down.

Removing the building, located at the intersection of the Conception Bay Highway and the Holyrood Access to the Trans-Canada Highway, will free up 6.71 acres for improved road infrastructure and a commercial town centre.

Stafford said he hopes the demolition will open up opportunities for a grocery store and another gas station in the town.

Most of the structure will be demolished by Friday.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...shed-1.3046060

A couple of pictures:

MUN Archives

"Superior Rubber Company." by MattReynolds, on Flickr

"Superior Rubber Company." by MattReynolds, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:36 AM
The good old days are now

The Montreal Children's Memorial Hospital (1909-1966)
Vers 1966-2015 by guil3433, on Flickr

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 4:25 AM

Kitchener's Mayfair Hotel demo started late yesterday and is ongoing. It was a sad day...

The Mayfair Hotel by Matt, on Flickr

Mayfair Hotel Demolition by Matt, on Flickr

Last edited by advance62; May 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:36 AM

Demolition has begun on Scott Park Secondary School in Hamilton:

Quote:
Scott Park School gone in time for Games

By Emma Reilly
June 3, 2015

After years of negotiations, setbacks and back-and-forth debate, Scott Park Secondary School is officially being demolished to make way for a new $32-million high school — though the state-of-the-art facility will open to students a year later than expected.

Crews are rushing to demolish Scott Park in time for the Pan Am Games, when the former high school will be used for parking.

"My understanding is it's coming down as we speak," said Ward 3 Coun. Matt Green.

read more...

Scott Park School Before Demolition by Joe, on Flickr

Scott Park School Demolition Equipment by Joe, on Flickr

View of Scott Park School from Tim Hortons Field by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advance62 View Post
Kitchener's Mayfair Hotel demo started late yesterday and is ongoing. It was a sad day...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rrL15U]
Damn. I really liked that building and always hoped they'd make something of it someday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada