HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

320 Granville in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 2:53 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 9:22 PM

Thanks Koops, you rock!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:41 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domusile View Post
Seemingly, but may be a means of achieving a high enough $PSF for the end product to justify the price paid for the land. That would be my guess.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 9:20 PM

That was my immediate reaction too.

Bosa paid an uneconomical rate for the land so this must be their attempt to cash out at a price that makes some sense.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
That was my immediate reaction too.

Bosa paid an uneconomical rate for the land so this must be their attempt to cash out at a price that makes some sense.
The funny thing is that they were also trying to re-sell the land out at a higher price. We all had a good laugh at that one.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:24 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

I wonder how much they would be selling the strata offices and whether its all big cuts or little cuts. Strata offices are so rare in downtown Vancouver and the ones that are there (Terminal City, Jaimeson, Conference Plaza), they tend to have crappy views and such and yet demand ridiculous prices. This could very well be the most prime strata office development in Metro Vancouver now and forever so it would be a unique opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:13 PM

The problem with strata office is that it's only suitable for smaller tenants like smaller professional offices.
There's no expansion possibility if you are a large tenant - the same as retail - strata versus developer-owned and managed malls.
The Surrey Central professional buildings are strata titled. Also that Neehru Bachra Centre on Broadway.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 5:36 AM

Isn't there a software company that bought several floors of the second Surrey Central Professional Building? And I think a mining company owns a floor (7th?) in Terminal Club City. Its been a while but I recall Jaimeson sold entire floors of their strata offices.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Isn't there a software company that bought several floors of the second Surrey Central Professional Building? And I think a mining company owns a floor (7th?) in Terminal Club City. Its been a while but I recall Jaimeson sold entire floors of their strata offices.
Safe Software top 4 floors:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show....php?p=7865673

https://www.safe.com/about/new-office-location/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 7:17 AM

One problem is the availability of space in the same building if a strata office owner wants to expand beyond its current footprint. A conventional landlord tenant situation may allow the tenant to secure additional space in the same building.

Another issue could be the accounting and tax treatment of capital expenses (stratas) versus operating expenses (rentals).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:06 AM

I guess the target market for 320 Granville for strata office space are those like that Safe Software that don't really care about the expansion or tax strategies, those that want to have their own commercial leasing business (or major commercial leasing companies themselves), or if small cuts are possible, those professionals that would want to purchase their own space. But clearly there is a market for it, otherwise there wouldn't be any strata office space at all in downtown Vancouver, Broadway Corridor or Surrey Central.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 6:58 PM

Yeah, it ultimately depends on the owner's needs.

Can't recall, but I think BC Medical Association bought the office space at Hotel Georgia tower.
That's probably an example of a larger fixed size occupant.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Can't recall, but I think BC Medical Association bought the office space at Hotel Georgia tower.
I think it's the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC that bought there.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Quote:
Avison Young, Canada's largest independently-owned commercial real estate services company, announced today that the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has purchased nearly 60,000 square feet (sf) over seven floors at Delta Land Development Ltd.'s The Offices at Hotel Georgia at 669 Howe Street in Downtown Vancouver.

The transaction, which closed June 3, 2011, represents Vancouver's largest strata-titled office space sale to a single user in terms of area and price.

The Offices at Hotel Georgia is part of the $450-million Hotel Georgia redevelopment, which includes a complete restoration of the 1927 heritage Hotel Georgia (now named Rosewood Hotel Georgia), and a new adjoining 48-storey mixed-use tower.

Still under construction, the new mixed-use tower will comprise The Private Residences at Hotel Georgia (156 residential units, 35 storeys) on top of The Offices at Hotel Georgia (nine floors totalling 71,500 sf of office space).

Avison Young Principals Bob Levine and Matt Walker acted on behalf of Delta Land Development while Michael Keenan, Senior Vice-President and Managing Director of Avison Young's Vancouver office, acted on behalf of the College. Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.

Located at the intersection of Howe and West Georgia Streets in the financial core, The Offices at Hotel Georgia and the landmark hotel's 155 rooms will open in summer 2011. The condo units are slated for completion in early 2012.

With the purchase by the College, two office floors will remain available for lease to prospective tenants. These floors, however, will not be available for sale. The College's 90 employees plan to relocate by early fall 2011 from 858 Beatty Street, where the regulatory body has resided as a tenant since 2002.

"The purchase of 60,000 square feet of office space by the College for its own use is a win-win situation for both the developer, Delta Land Development Ltd., and the College," comments Levine. "Having as distinguished a group as the College as the primary office user reinforces the already considerable stature and prominence of the entire Rosewood Hotel Georgia development. For the College, being able to buy its own office space in the very heart of Downtown Vancouver offers an excellent long-term investment."

Keenan says given the current low interest-rate environment and rising rent levels, "the transaction may signal a trend for Downtown office users to acquire their own space."

"It was a good time to make such an investment as it allows the College to secure space for future expansion," says Dr. Darlene Hammell, President of the Board of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC. "It has always been the vision of the board to own rather than lease office space, and to purchase when the perfect site comes along. The Finance and Audit Committee considered 24 buildings in Vancouver and Burnaby before making its final decision."

Hammell continues: "Acquiring quality commercial real estate in Downtown Vancouver makes financial sense over the long term. We won't be at the mercy of rent increases or be subject to HST on lease payments, which makes ownership a more viable solution to keep registrants' fees down over time. Moreover, the building is conveniently located close to Vancouver hospitals and UBC, and easily accessible via rapid transit from the airport." The new location will also house the College library.
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...508360961.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:35 PM

Thanks guys.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:42 AM

Bosa is holding a realtor only event on the 30th. Seems like they are ready to start selling

And they are calling it bosa waterfront centre

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Bosa is holding a realtor only event on the 30th. Seems like they are ready to start selling

You know, for such a prominent location that's so well connected to transportation, this is an EPIC FAILURE on the part of the city. There should be a tower there at least 550ft. Guaranteed they'll regret this in 15 years. Damn view cones!!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Full page ads in the Vancouver Sun for a registration website:

http://bosawaterfrontcentre.com/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerLonsdaleMike View Post
You know, for such a prominent location that's so well connected to transportation, this is an EPIC FAILURE on the part of the city. There should be a tower there at least 550ft. Guaranteed they'll regret this in 15 years. Damn view cones!!!!
With the BC NDP in power, this building could end up being cancelled due to "market conditions" and in some future date when people are more enlightened, they may just end up building that 550 feet or even taller building.

I recall during the dark days of the 90s, the site of what is now Trump Tower was also proposed for a strata titled office space. I think it was called Golden Ocean Plaza or something like that and it was 24 to 27 storeys. But alas, nothing happened until Holborn Group took over and built the building you see today. So perhaps something similar will happen here given it can't seem to get off the proposal stage while other uglier buildings like that Exchange gets built...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver