HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:30 PM

My brother was working on the food court here last week (along with half of the construction industry in the lower mainland, he says). He said that they should just pipe this song in there 24 hours a day.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:10 PM

Any retailer that thinks they can get away with paying minimum wage and offering only 20 hours a week to work at a place in the middle of absolutely nowhere ultimately needs to give their head a shake. They save rent by having their retail location in that mall but ultimately will need to pay more in wages to attract workers.

Also completely agree with the commentary as to wtf are they thinking holding a job fair in downtown Vancouver. Almost everyone in Vancouver let alone Downtown thinks Tsawwassen is 9000km away on the other side of the country and quite frankly there are enough jobs for them right around home.

Absolutely should be advertising South of Fraser. Seems like someone is out of touch with reality and makes me wonder now too how well this mall is going. Could give them a pass on a lot of things but this doesn't show any business sense.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:23 PM

Could be an interesting grand opening with the potential for understaffed stores and/or delayed opening of some stores because of lack of sufficient staff to even run a basic operation. I'm hoping that won't be the case.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 7:19 PM

The last job fair was held in South Delta.

Ron.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Any retailer that thinks they can get away with paying minimum wage and offering only 20 hours a week to work at a place in the middle of absolutely nowhere ultimately needs to give their head a shake. They save rent by having their retail location in that mall but ultimately will need to pay more in wages to attract workers.

Also completely agree with the commentary as to wtf are they thinking holding a job fair in downtown Vancouver. Almost everyone in Vancouver let alone Downtown thinks Tsawwassen is 9000km away on the other side of the country and quite frankly there are enough jobs for them right around home.

Absolutely should be advertising South of Fraser. Seems like someone is out of touch with reality and makes me wonder now too how well this mall is going. Could give them a pass on a lot of things but this doesn't show any business sense.
i live in the cowichan valley and we are getting job opening listings for this place, i assume a lot could easily commute from the island

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 7:50 PM

Is that supposed to be a joke?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is that supposed to be a joke?
I doubt it. I've worked with people that lived on the Island and commuted to Metro-Van for the week then back to the Island for the weekend. It is rather insane imho and for a low paying job I would find it, well a joke as you put it, to expect that to happen, but it does happen.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 10:35 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I doubt it. I've worked with people that lived on the Island and commuted to Metro-Van for the week then back to the Island for the weekend. It is rather insane imho and for a low paying job I would find it, well a joke as you put it, to expect that to happen, but it does happen.
We used to do projects on the Island and would commute for meetings (engineering, contractors, material procurement, municipal processes, etc.) and construction supervision. This meant various staff would go over 3-4 times per week depending on how many projects were on the go. At one point I personally was going over and back on 2 - 3 days a week. I could get work done on the ferry, but without using Helijet, I would have hated it. I stopped all of that after about 4 years because my staff was no happier than I was with the travel. The Island is now the same for us as everywhere else - it takes a prize project to get our interest.

I cannot imagine doing any version of the Island commute for a basic wage job. There would be no economic sense in it anyway. I laugh when I hear anyone name part of the Island as in Vancouver's backyard. Quality of life argues against that!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
We used to do projects on the Island and would commute for meetings (engineering, contractors, material procurement, municipal processes, etc.) and construction supervision. This meant various staff would go over 3-4 times per week depending on how many projects were on the go. At one point I personally was going over and back on 2 - 3 days a week. I could get work done on the ferry, but without using Helijet, I would have hated it. I stopped all of that after about 4 years because my staff was no happier than I was with the travel. The Island is now the same for us as everywhere else - it takes a prize project to get our interest.

I cannot imagine doing any version of the Island commute for a basic wage job. There would be no economic sense in it anyway. I laugh when I hear anyone name part of the Island as in Vancouver's backyard. Quality of life argues against that!
Not only that but they'd be completely wrong about it being Vancouver's backyard. I don't think people realize how far Vancouver Island actually is from a travel-time perspective. And how costly.

For me in Surrey it takes 40 minutes to drive from my home to the Ferry Terminal. Say I get a reservation I need to be 30 minutes before boat leaves. Then the ferry ride is about 1.5 hours + 15 minutes docking/unloading both sides.

So just to step foot on Vancouver Island would take me just shy of 3 hours.

Let's contrast with me going to Seattle. It takes me 20 minutes to drive to the border, about 5-10 minutes to get through on a bad day with Nexus, then another 2 hours or so to get to Seattle. That's 2.5 hours or 30 minutes FASTER than to just touch my foot on Vancouver Island.

Is Seattle in Vancouver's backyard? Hardly. Yet it is closer commute wise. Not only that but I can go to Seattle and back on less than a tank of gas so costs me say $50 in gas. Ferry to drive round trip costs me probably $12-15 in gas + $147.30 round trip for fares. So:

Seattle: 2.5 hours; ~$25 one way
Vancouver Island: 3 hours; ~$80 one way <-- doesn't even put me in Victoria, that's another 20-30 minutes drive

I mean Kamloops is just over 3 hours away. You can get to Kamloops faster than Victoria. Is Kamloops in our backyard?

Above is largely why every time my wife and I have thought about going to Vancouver Island for a vacation, say to Tofino, we end up driving to Kelowna or Seattle or Portland.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 11:50 PM

Mall map.

The original at the webpage is interactive - so the other stores show up when you scroll over them.
Most of the units are leased.
There are still 2 unlabelled "majors" where a Nordstrom Rack could locate (the two at the west entrance to the mall
(the unlabelled one close to Saks Off 5th is an "Accents at Home").

https://www.tsawwassenmills.com/stores/map/

Last edited by officedweller; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 12:10 AM

Damn, that is one true fishing megastore!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 8:21 PM

It'll have a bowling alley in the Bass Pro Shop:

#bowling returns to South #DeltaBC next month @BassProShops @TsawwassenMills mall #ladner #tsawwassen #bc #retail
https://twitter.com/GyarmatiSandor

https://twitter.com/tsawwassenmills

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:09 PM

Winners and Marshalls in the same mall? Same parent company. And then I wonder why I can't tell the difference between the two. I've heard Marshalls is suppose to be more upscale, but I've never been able to tell a net difference.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Winners and Marshalls in the same mall? Same parent company. And then I wonder why I can't tell the difference between the two. I've heard Marshalls is suppose to be more upscale, but I've never been able to tell a net difference.
A lot of the merchandise is the same -
The one big difference I've noticed is that Marshalls has its shoes in shoeboxes with a display model, unlike Winners which is more piecemeal/adhoc.

You can also return merchandise at either store.
(i.e. Downtown Granville St Winners accepts returns from Marine Drive Marshalls.)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 5:00 AM

Marshalls was bought out quite a while back in the states by TJ Maxx. The marshalls stores have a nicer look to them and are more orderly i find and they try to carry higher end brands but i can't tell a difference either.

I've never seen them in the such close proximity before, the closest i can think is the vancouver marshalls on marine drive and the winners just a few blocks at that new place

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:12 AM

My wife loves winners but it just seems like a bunch of random stuff whenever I go there with her aka a lot of random stuff we'd never ever buy but because there is so much it takes 2 hours to browse... last time I just bolted with my daughter to wander the mall ourselves as even she was getting bored.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:02 AM

Drove by this on Saturday and can I just say the complex and surrounding road infrasructure are HUGE. Four lane roads everywhere with three left turn lanes. There is also quite a bit going on around the mall.

Only one month until the opening. First week is going to be an absolute chaos!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 7:31 AM
Dahvie Fan

For the record I love this development and will definitely check it out on opening day

But in this age of amazon.com HOW did they convince the first nations that this mall would be a good idea? All I ever hear about department stores is closures and the industry being on life support. Brick and mortar is dead, is it not?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
HOW did they convince the first nations that this mall would be a good idea
I'm presuming that the band is only putting in their land and getting reimbursed by way of prepaid ground lease.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
For the record I love this development and will definitely check it out on opening day

But in this age of amazon.com HOW did they convince the first nations that this mall would be a good idea? All I ever hear about department stores is closures and the industry being on life support. Brick and mortar is dead, is it not?
Uh.. Amazon are opening over 100 retail locations!
http://fortune.com/2016/09/09/amazon-pop-up-stores/

As well..
This venture, however, is separate from Amazon’s bookstores. Fortune previously reported that the company is considering opening up hundreds of brick-and-mortar bookstores across the country, testing its first physical bookstore in Seattle last year. The retailer’s first east coast location in Manhattan could also open soon.

Ron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley