HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:45 PM

Last night at the Saddledome:

Muse by Joel_S1, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:08 PM
City of Blinding Lights

The Muse concert was awesome. I haven't heard a negative comment EXCEPT for Mike Bell in the Herald today. He absolutely ripped it and in the process flushed his credibility down the toilet.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
The Muse concert was awesome. I haven't heard a negative comment EXCEPT for Mike Bell in the Herald today. He absolutely ripped it and in the process flushed his credibility down the toilet.
mike bell flushed his credibility 20 years ago

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:49 AM

Wish I could have gone to this. Read it was a smallish crowd, 8500? Seems a bit low for Muse.

Pretty good quality vid of Madness.

Video Link

Starlight too by same guy.

Video Link

Last edited by ZeDgE; Feb 6, 2013 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:23 PM
City Maker

It looks like Canada will be getting its own Sensation. It is an event I thought Calgary could have nicked a few years back. The host city hasn't been revealed yet, maybe a local entrepreneur took my advice!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:52 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Great videos!

I am totally stoked about the Sensation announcement! Let's hope the talent comes!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:15 PM

Went to Frequency (EDM event for those that don't know - headliners Alesso, Porter Robinson, Ferry Corsten).

Boodang events seem to be much better organized in Edmonton than Calgary. Shaw Conference blows anything here out of the water (BMO, Big4). Such a shame, as these festivals bring in tourism $$$. Just look at EDC, and Ultra. Tomorrowland is also expanding its brand outside of Belgium as per today's announcement.

Aside:
Edmonton itself was extremely ghetto especially around the Chinatown area. I never felt unsafe but there needs to be some beautification done in that city. Almost a polar opposite feeling from walking in Calgary's dt. Don't mean to spark an Edmonton vs Calgary discussion (I can do that on connect2edmonton anytime haha), but it truly makes me appreciate the progress that has been done in the downtown core of Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:27 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
Went to Frequency (EDM event for those that don't know - headliners Alesso, Porter Robinson, Ferry Corsten).

Boodang events seem to be much better organized in Edmonton than Calgary. Shaw Conference blows anything here out of the water (BMO, Big4). Such a shame, as these festivals bring in tourism $$$. Just look at EDC, and Ultra. Tomorrowland is also expanding its brand outside of Belgium as per today's announcement.
Those are some great headliners. Ferry and Alesso are pretty big and Porter Robinson is up and coming. I would have loved to have gone as Ferry is one of my favourites DJs and while I only recently got Porter Robinson's album, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not sure why it seems like Calgary is so far behind when it comes to organizing these events. It seems like we have the same, if not more, potential than Edmonton but nobody is interested to taking advantage.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:44 AM
Near Generational

Tiesto's show in December was very well produced. By far the best show I've seen in Calgary. The sound was amazing, especially considering the last few Big 4 debacles (Avicii, Tiesto 2010)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 8:18 PM
BANNED

“Sled Island 2013 Guest Curators Announced...

JOHN DWYER (THEE OH SEES)
Festival favourite, John Dwyer, singer and guitarist for the critically-acclaimed San Francisco-based, psych-tinged, Krautrock-inspired garage rockers, Thee Oh Sees, returns as guest curator for Sled Island 2013. The former member of Coachwhips, The Hospitals and Zeigenbock Kopf, has earned his reputation as a wholly engaging live entertainer and as one of the best and most challenging independent songwriters working today. This reputation was cemented with Sled Island festival-goers at Thee Oh Sees still-talked about, jaw-dropping 2011 set.
Twitter: @TheeOhSees

TIM HECKER
Joining Dwyer is the celebrated and hugely influential Montreal-based electronic artist, Tim Hecker. Oft hailed as one of the most significant ambient musicians since Brian Eno, Hecker has been staggeringly consistent in his recorded and live output under the Jetone moniker, under his own name and through collaborations with Oren Ambarchi, Aidan Baker (Nadja) and Fly Pan Am. Following his superb and powerful Hillhurst United Church set at Sled Island 2012, Hecker will bring his uniquely cerebral and emotive touch to programming as the festival’s first electronic music curator.
Twitter: @tim_hecker”
http://www.sledisland.com/slog/2013/...tors-announced

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:14 AM
BANNED

The first Sledisland headliners have been announced.

-The Jesus and Mary Chain,
-Explosions In The Sky,
-Swans,
-Divine Fits,
-The Joel Plaskett Emergency,
-Mac DeMarco,
-Colin Stetson,
-Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
-Tim Hecker
-Thee Oh Sees.

http://www.sledisland.com/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 7:30 AM

excited for sled island!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:41 PM

I normally listen to EDM, but Explosions in the Sky is worth checking out for anyone not familiar with post rock

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:42 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:

Boodang has been killing it for a while. If I look back to 1999 all of the MASSIVE shows have always been in Edmonton. The facilities that they have are much better suited to the shows. It also seems that they are better attended too. Calgary has always had a focus on the smaller club shows and they are really good. It's hard to beat a venue like Flames Central for EDM shows these days. With the addition of PK Sound doing the sound production the overall quality of the shows are improving too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Those are some great headliners. Ferry and Alesso are pretty big and Porter Robinson is up and coming. I would have loved to have gone as Ferry is one of my favourites DJs and while I only recently got Porter Robinson's album, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not sure why it seems like Calgary is so far behind when it comes to organizing these events. It seems like we have the same, if not more, potential than Edmonton but nobody is interested to taking advantage.
Ferry has been solid for a while. Porter Robinson (beyond having an awesome name) has been really really good too!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Those of you who listen to BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, here is something different. Thom Yorke on the EM on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qtckh

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Those of you who listen to BBC Radio 1's Essential Mix, here is something different. Thom Yorke on the EM on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qtckh
I will listen to that one. I think Mat Zo's essential mix is one of the best ones so far. Not a party/club set but good to listen to.

I have a love/hate relationship with FC. They need to turn on air con man. That place gets sooo sweaty.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2013, 7:38 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
I will listen to that one. I think Mat Zo's essential mix is one of the best ones so far. Not a party/club set but good to listen to.

I have a love/hate relationship with FC. They need to turn on air con man. That place gets sooo sweaty.
Thanks for the tip on the Matt Zo EM. I really love Easy with Porter Robinson so I was eager to give it a listen! REALLY solid.

If anyone wants a listen:
https://soundcloud.com/everybodywant...al-mix-2013-02

Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 2:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I normally listen to EDM, but Explosions in the Sky is worth checking out for anyone not familiar with post rock
I don’t know much about EDM but I think Tim Hecker is someone you might want to check out too. He’s one of the biggest names in electronic indie music right now. And if you’re interesting in something kind of ambient and definitely different then check out Colin Stetson. He’s a solo artist who plays a bass saxophone, and I’ve heard his music described as avant-garde jazz.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 4:02 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I am so excited about this concert! It's sometimes rough to be the first show on tour as kinks need to be worked out but this poster is DAMN cool!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 9:02 PM
City of Blinding Lights

The latest EDM festival to hit town: The Badlands Stampede Music Festival July 5-7 @ Winsport. Pretty good line-up but it comes with a hefty price tag.

Headliners include electronic performers Afrojack, Kaskade, Pretty Lights and Steve Aoki. Other acts set to appear include pop-rock duo Matt & Kim, Adventure Club, Excision, Gareth Emery, Morgan Page, Adam K, Getter, GTA, M Machine, Mord Fustang, Nadastorm, Sultan & Ned Sheppard, the Proxxy and X Kore.

Ticket pre-sales start up on Wednesday (April 24), with regular sales starting on Friday (April 26). An early bird special has a three-day pass for the 18-and-over event going for $169, but passes will eventually be bumped up to $199. An all-access pass with bar service will go for $299

http://badlandsmusicfest.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation