HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:17 PM

Too bad it couldent of been in a more compact tower form closer to the Skytrain. I also always thought that Green Timbers Park should be the entire square between 100th, 92, 148th and (cant remeber the street on the western boundary). The main roads through it could eventually be rerouted around it. The thing is this entire area from Guildford To Surrey central is going to see crap loads of growth and it will need a Central park, Stanley Park type size park in my opinion...something that Green Timbers would be just perfect for.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Heres some more data, so looks like Green Timbers park will be busy with both the RCMP HQ and a new hospital.

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - The federal treasury board has approved moving the RCMP’s E division headquarters from Vancouver to Surrey.
There are 2500 police and civilian employees at the RCMP’s administrative centre for the province.
The move to 14 hectares of land in Green Timbers at 140th street and the Fraser highway is to be complete by the year 2012.

Wonder what the feds are going to do with that piece of prime real estate on the west side of Vancouver?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:34 AM

^ i heard it's suppose to be some massive condo tower/office/retail development, on a scale even more massive than Joyce Station.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:41 AM

where is the headquarters in vancouver?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:52 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've never heard of any plans for the RCMP hqs in Vancouver, The plans you described sounds like the ones out for the Transit depot on 41st by Oak.

The RCMP HQ is currently at W 37th Ave and Heather, it's a huge site assessed at just over $25Million, could probably fetch $40Million, maybe even more depending on zoning allowed.
Maybe we should move this part of the conversation over to the Vancouver General thread?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:03 AM

SFU Surrey is proposing a highrise for the use of dorms to house about 600 students. Was in the leader paper for this week.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:39 AM

INFINITY project in Surrey

Phase 1 (T1) was to be completed by Feb 2008. Did this portion of the project make budget? or did it go over? When are they moving in?

Phase 2 - other 2 Towers (T2 and T3). Does anyone know how much the pre-construction sale went for? What date? and how many units?

Phase 3 - any information on tower 4 and %

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:27 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startvcr View Post

Phase 1 (T1) was to be completed by Feb 2008. Did this portion of the project make budget? or did it go over? When are they moving in?

Phase 2 - other 2 Towers (T2 and T3). Does anyone know how much the pre-construction sale went for? What date? and how many units?

Phase 3 - any information on tower 4 and %

great way to say hi......

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startvcr View Post

I saw ads on craigslist for rentals - move in date of mid-february.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 10:03 AM

Don;t think Tower 4 has started sales - the developer jumped across the street to the Sky Towers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:20 PM

Thank U, re: Infinity T4 and T5

If they [the Developers] jumped to the "Skytower" towers (T1 and T2); has any work (or excavation started) on this property? I notice (MAC Marketing said) t sold out in 2 days at a total of $ 280M - and expected to be ready by 2011 (or early 2012).

Are any of these worksites reasonably active? or slow due to being early in the year or are there other reasons.

Any one know the size of the floor plates? Foot print?

Last edited by Startvcr; Feb 14, 2008 at 4:27 PM. Reason: add new lines

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 7:41 PM

I saw this morning that City Point (the twin towers kitty-corner to the Gateway SkyTrain station) has begun excavation.

Also, a couple quick snaps from the bus of Lake City Centre, the 100,000 sq ft office building at the Production Way-SFU SkyTrain station.

(My photo, taken Wednesday February 13th, 2008)

(My photo, taken Wednesday February 13th, 2008)

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 9:21 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Besides the Riverview details trickling out now, more details on one of the other projects that could push the South line for Evergreen.

The Village at Fraser Mills Coq
26Ha
3700 units
190,000sqft retail
100,000 office
Mill Musuem, community centre, playing fields, new pier and outdoor stage.
OCP has been approved, awaiting finalized rezoning. Update May/08.
website www.villageatfrasermills.com

A highrise in Maple Ridge....

226th and 119Ave (NE Corner)
20 Storeys
3 levels u/g parking
Update Summer/08 construction start 09.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 9:59 PM
Pessimistic Capricorn

Quote:
Thank U, re: Infinity T4 and T5

If they [the Developers] jumped to the "Skytower" towers (T1 and T2); has any work (or excavation started) on this property? I notice (MAC Marketing said) t sold out in 2 days at a total of $ 280M - and expected to be ready by 2011 (or early 2012).
Apart from a little tree clearing and grass cutting and evicting squalors, nothing has been done to the sky tower site. I think the developer would like phase two to get to the topped out stage before starting work on sky towers. Phase two is directly across the street from sky towers and I'm not sure the area can handle all the traffic from excavation and cement trucks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:50 AM

pic by me - update of brentwood gate - feb 14

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 5:06 AM

Riverview plans not current: Coleman

The Riverview Hospital lands are safe — for now — Housing Minister Rich Coleman said Thursday, calling suggestions to the contrary "purely speculative."

Coleman was contacted by The Tri-City News to discuss reports in the Vancouver Sun and other media that the provincial government has drawn up detailed plans for dozens of highrise towers, mid-rise buildings and several condominium and apartment buildings on the 98-hectare site.

And even though the number of units suggested — about 10,000 — is the same as what Coleman hopes to see on the Riverview grounds, he emphasized the plans reported Thursday are irrelevant.

"The Vancouver Sun story is based on old plans that were developed by the health authority about a year ago," Coleman said. "They have nothing to do with what's going on today."

He further stated that no plans would be developed without consultation with Coquitlam council and residents.

When asked to confirm whether site designs were being assembled for tender to explore possible options, he said nothing of the sort is happening because the ministry is busy exploring other housing projects in the Lower Mainland.

Coleman also said the Evergreen Line's Lougheed Highway route and Riverview redevelopment are not linked, noting there have been no discussions on the issue between the Ministry of Transportation, his own ministry and Accommodation and Real Estate Services, which manages the Riverview lands.

Coquitlam politicians denounced the latest Riverview plans, their frustration mounting over what appears to be a veil of secrecy over the site.

"I still haven't heard anything substantive from the minister or the government," said Coquitlam-Maillardville NDP MLA Diane Thorne. "It's still information by the media, rather than any information for the community from the government."

Thorne suggested that with plans that seem to fulfill Coleman's wish for 10,000 units, which would bring about 30,000 people to the site, the latest rumours are closer to what the BC Liberals want for Riverview. In November a housing ministry representative said public consultations could begin this month but Thorne said she's hearing it likely won't be until the fall.

Coleman did echo Tuesday's throne speech when he said the government is pursuing another Riverview project — a mental health facility that would complement a retrofitted and reopened Willingdon, the old youth detention facility in Burnaby.

Thorne sees it as "another nail in the coffin of Riverview" and that opening Willingdon would simply mean more space for market housing at Riverview. She said she'll put forward a private members' bill calling for Riverview to be kept in public hands and remain a mental health sanctuary that would include transitional housing for the mentally ill.

Coquitlam Mayor Maxine Wilson said bringing an urban centre into Riverview is "extremely cruel."

"To put [mentally ill people] in an urban setting, when they're in a paranoid state and distrustful of people... they need to be in a healing setting. They need to get away from people, so putting 30,000 people there is totally inhumane."

Wilson said she wants to see a mental health research facility at Riverview that would focus on developing better treatments for the mentally ill, as well as a hospital-like setting for patients who need that level of care.

Coun. Mae Reid, who chairs Coquitlam's Riverview committee, said the city's 50-year economic development plan envisions a medical school campus — but no market housing.

"There isn't room for both," she said. "Why they would take a site like that and just put regular housing on it? It's just greed."

Council has stated it will not rezone the Riverview lands for market housing and Wilson said she expects widespread support from other Metro Vancouver councils to leave Riverview as a park-like setting for the mentally ill.

Still, Thorne questions whether the BC Liberals will pay much attention to such a decision.

"I don't have a lot of faith in the statement Coleman made that in the end the city will make the final decision," she said. "Call me jaded, but I just don't believe it."

spayne@tricitynews.com

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/...iverview1c.jpg
Suggestions about the future of the Riverview Hospital lands are purely speculative, says Housing Minister Rich Coleman.
Tri-City News File Photo

http://www.bclocalnews.com/tri_city_...t_Coleman.html

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:29 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Besides the Riverview details trickling out now, more details on one of the other projects that could push the South line for Evergreen.

The Village at Fraser Mills Coq
26Ha
3700 units
190,000sqft retail
100,000 office
Mill Musuem, community centre, playing fields, new pier and outdoor stage.
OCP has been approved, awaiting finalized rezoning. Update May/08.
website www.villageatfrasermills.com
Noticed this on their website...

Why hasn't anyone thought of a library/pub before!?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:49 AM

Highrise developer pays city fee to add extra units

Brooke Larsen, Burnaby Now
Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The developer of an Edmonds highrise is set to pay $1.52 million in density bonus cash to the City of Burnaby.

Polygon Development Ltd. wants to build highrise condos near Kingsway and Sperling Avenue. But to add extra units to the project, the developer will have to pay $1.52 million in density bonuses.

Density bonuses give developers a chance to get extra density in exchange for providing a benefit for neighbourhoods. Recent changes to the city's density bonus policy allow at least 20 per cent of the cash to be used for affordable housing anywhere in the city.

Previously, density bonus cash for affordable housing was restricted to the town centre where it originated. The new policy allows the city to pool cash to build larger projects instead of scattered units.

Monday's discussion also sparked a long-running debate over who is responsible for housing low-income people. Coun. Garth Evans said he wants the cash to be used to build affordable housing in the Edmonds area.

"I'm hoping this $1.5 million will ultimately be used for low-income housing in the City of Burnaby," Evans said at the meeting.

Mayor Derek Corrigan pointed out that the provincial government, not the City of Burnaby, is responsible for housing. Corrigan also noted that the city has $1.7 million in its city-wide housing account.

"So we have an outstanding record," Corrigan said. "I don't think any of us should take a back seat to anyone."

Coun. Lee Rankin said Corrigan should educate himself about the city's homelessness problem.

"Maybe you should tour the library to see where the homeless people are sleeping," Rankin told Corrigan.

Coun. Dan Johnston said the city has tried to cooperate with the province to get some affordable housing to built in Burnaby.

"We're elected civilly to represent the City of Burnaby, and that should be our priority," he said. "The government tends to do things in the back room and tell us later."

The report outlines two options for the density bonus cash. The first would see 80 per cent of the cash added to the Edmonds town centre account, boosting it to $1.63 million from its current $416,000. The other 20 per cent would be added to Burnaby's city-wide housing account, bringing it to $1.76 million. Another option is to use a portion of the cash to upgrade local parks, the report says.
© Burnaby Now 2008

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Noticed this on their website...

Why hasn't anyone thought of a library/pub before!?
You mean like Library Square at the Vancouver Public Library

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC420 View Post
Apart from a little tree clearing and grass cutting and evicting squalors, nothing has been done to the sky tower site. I think the developer would like phase two to get to the topped out stage before starting work on sky towers. Phase two is directly across the street from sky towers and I'm not sure the area can handle all the traffic from excavation and cement trucks.
Thanks CC420

It appears [at the site] that Phase 2 (T2 and T3) is coming out of the ground. It is projected to be completed by Dec 2009 (~ 20 months from now). Is this a reasonable target date?

Skytower (sold out in Nov. 07) and buyers were told it would be completed by 2011 (~ 36 months)

Infinity Tower 1 (was a single Tower) - 34 months (April 05 to Feb.08)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley