HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:50 AM
Skyriser

The black towers are massing studies for the Evans Churchill to demonstrate the impact of the Urban Form proposals in context with that neighborhood.

They caused a bit of a stir hear earlier appearing in an ASU letterhead randomly.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:11 AM

Exterior is completely done...

Street side retail, facing Central Ave. First space (where works are standing outside) will house the new Mexican restaurant.

Taylor St. streetscape...

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:44 AM

I think these three new buildings are an incredible addition to downtown. Not only will they bring more people but they are also great to look at... Thanks Hx Guy

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:18 AM

Wow HX Guy! Great pics there. Thanks.
Love the Cronkite building, so much.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 7:40 AM

Starbucks eh? While I normally like independent businesses, I've been to too many that mess up something as simple as a latte, so it's not so bad going with Starbucks. If anything, it will make a good gathering spot for students.

Quote:
Businesses to open in downtown ASU dorm

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
May. 24, 2008 12:00 AM
Downtown Phoenix ASU students won't have to go far for a morning cup of joe. Starbucks plans to open a 1,800-square-foot coffee shop on the first floor of the 13-story Taylor Place student housing complex.

Street-level shops and restaurants are a key part of Arizona State University's vision for its 2-year-old Phoenix campus, said Chad Izmirian a Capstone Development Corp. executive who is overseeing the dorm project.

"It builds community among the people living there and it's an amenity for the students," said Izmirian, who is a vice president at the Birmingham, Ala.-based student housing developer.
advertisement

Capstone would like Starbucks to be open by the time classes start Aug. 25, but it's unclear if the business will meet the time frame because the deal wasn't finalized until recently.

The coffee purveyor is one of about 10 businesses that are in talks to open restaurants in retail spots in the first floor of the dormitory or the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

This week, university officials announced that Mexican restaurant, El Portal, also would open a 1,400-square foot, 50-seat eatery in the journalism building. Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox and her husband, Earl Wilcox, own El Portal, a popular political hangout at 701 S. Second Ave.

Food-service giant Aramark, which will operate the dorm's cafeteria, plans to open a convenience store that will front Taylor Street.

No other agreements have been finalized yet, university and Capstone officials say.

Taylor place has a total of 10,000 square feet of retail space and the journalism building has at total of 5,300 square feet of retail space. Patrick Panetta, assistant director of real-estate development at ASU, declined to disclose lease terms because university officials are still negotiating with other tenants.

The university tapped retail broker RBI to vet prospective businesses that were interested in the spaces. Special attention was given to local businesses, Panetta said.

Taylor Place is located at 120 E. Taylor St., between First and Second streets. The journalism school is located at 555 N. Central Ave., between Central and First Street.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Starbucks eh? While I normally like independent businesses, I've been to too many that mess up something as simple as a latte, so it's not so bad going with Starbucks. If anything, it will make a good gathering spot for students.
Ugh. It's bad enough that we already have a Starbucks in City Hall. Yes, Starbucks would be a good gathering place, but it would be so much more interesting to have an indie coffee house like nearby Fair Trade Cafe or Royal Coffee Bar.

With regard to El Portal, I hope it stays open for dinner. The last thing Downtown needs is more lunch-only restaurants.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 5:29 PM

Yeah, Fair Trade is an excellent example of a coffee purveyor with way more character than any Starbucks. It's too bad.

Honestly though Starbucks is the only business really ready to take on the challenge of the level of demand that a college coffee shop would create. Independents I've been to (including most of the local coffee shops) tend to have a hard time with long lines of people - one thing you can say about Starbucks is that their menu is streamlined and employees trained to make consistent (enough) coffee fast. In addition, I'm sure they have the ability to negotiate a leasing agreement far more easily than an independent.

Is the original El Portal open for dinner?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 6:09 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post

Is the original El Portal open for dinner?
No, that's why I'm curious about the hours of the second location.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:19 PM

Something else I thought of - anyone want to take any guesses as to the hours of the Starbucks? I guess if there are no architecture students nearby they won't really have any need for late-night coffee, so they can just have typical hours. It does seem, though, if they're in a residence hall, that they should be open later than other locations.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:24 AM

I must have missed the part where only architecture students at any university go to coffee places late at night.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:49 AM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkpbr View Post
I must have missed the part where only architecture students at any university go to coffee places late at night.
^5

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Ugh. It's bad enough that we already have a Starbucks in City Hall. Yes, Starbucks would be a good gathering place, but it would be so much more interesting to have an indie coffee house like nearby Fair Trade Cafe or Royal Coffee Bar.
Agreed. It's worth pointing out that not only is there a Starbucks at City Hall, there's one at the convention center, one at Central and Adams, and one at Seventh Avenue and McDowell. Five Starbucks seems like waaay too many for our little urban core.

http://downtownphoenix.blogspot.com

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 7:49 PM

There is also a Starbucks right inside of US Airways Arena and one at the Arizona Center...so that makes what, 7 total once the ASU dorms one is up and running?

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 8:07 PM

What about the two Starbucks at 7th St and McDowell (one inside the Safeway, one outside)? Do those count too?

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 8:41 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_resident View Post
Agreed. It's worth pointing out that not only is there a Starbucks at City Hall, there's one at the convention center, one at Central and Adams, and one at Seventh Avenue and McDowell. Five Starbucks seems like waaay too many for our little urban core.
Yes, it reminds me of the Simpsons episode in which the family went to a mall that was wall-to-wall Starbucks stores. I just noticed that the thoroughly mediocre cafe in the building where I work brags that it sells Starbucks coffee. I've never seen a brand so diluted.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:26 PM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
Something else I thought of - anyone want to take any guesses as to the hours of the Starbucks? I guess if there are no architecture students nearby they won't really have any need for late-night coffee, so they can just have typical hours. It does seem, though, if they're in a residence hall, that they should be open later than other locations.
yeah dude, I realize that your comment about only architecture students being the only ones in need of a late nite coffee shop is sort of tongue-n-cheek.

Lawd only knows how many late hours I have spent studying and preparing for exams, and I am not an architecture student.

As for the hours of the Starbucks, I don't know. What is the normal closing time for them? 8 - 9 -10 pm? I ask because I really haven't paid much attention to that detail. I suppose though that a downtown Starbucks on the ASU campus could reasonably be expected to stay open late ... midnight or 1 am?

Personally, I would like to see some local owners open up a 24 hour coffee shop within easy walking distance of the dorms. Maybe even they could offer free Wifi service so students could hang out there and study or do some research. Heck, even right now, I don't think the ASU Main campus has a 24 hour coffee shop anywhere nearby (and there needs to be one). There used to be a cool little late nite coffee house a couple of years ago that has since closed up. I think the name was something like "the Muse" or "the Muze"...something to that effect. Anyone remember that place?

Anyway, thats my opinion for what its worth.

Last edited by tempedude; May 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM. Reason: cripes if I could learn how to proofread

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Starbucks locations downtown:

Arizona Center
US Airways Center
Hyatt Downtown
Phoenix Convention Center
City Hall
Wyndham Downtown

I cannot really think of any more downtown. Where did you guys come up with 7?

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:03 PM

7 including the new ASU Dorms location.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 10:26 PM

The Starbucks in the suburbs (torture, allow me to assure you) typically close no later than 10. I'm actually not sure about the ones on Main campus (thank heaven for Charlie's in the architecture building or the little shop down in the library - and didn't I go to eJoy cafe [across from Borders] late one time, too?) I love independent coffee shops.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
Starbucks locations downtown:

Hyatt Downtown
There is an Einsteins at the Hyatt, I've never seen a Starbucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest