HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:00 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

There is already a Marta station serving the Lakewood Fairgrounds...Lakewood/Ft. MacPherson. The current Grant Park location is less than 5 minutes from the Lakewood location, so it is as much in the "heart of the city" as Grant Park. Seems like a pretty logical move that would triple the space and presumable make it a much nicer and better zoo.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:16 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I'm glad the zoo will likely move to Lakewood, it has been bulging at the seams and the zoo directors realize that the Grant Park neighborhood association aren't too keen on redevelopment in a park that badly needs renovation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:17 PM

yeah the zoo always seemed very out of place to me. I think a park in that location would be great, since a lot of that land already is "parklike"

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 1:28 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Actually the current zoo is in one corner of Grant Park. I didn't really know the expanse of Grant Park until a friend showed it to me one day. It's much larger than I thought and really beautiful with lots of huge old trees and greenspace.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 2:30 PM
Atlanta Native

If they move the zoo to Lakewood then I pray they redevelop the roads. Every time there is a concert at the amphitheatre the traffic backs up all over the place. Also, would the Cyclorama follow or will it stay the lone soldier standing?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 3:55 PM
Reliable Source

I can't imagine that the Cyclorama would move. That's a classic building. Matter of fact, if the zoo moves out it would help the Cyclorama stand on it's own - establish an identity of it's own.

Last edited by Fiorenza; Jan 29, 2007 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:27 PM
Atlanta Native

What if they were to open an interactive museum that would have a wing for the history of the founding of GA and its role as one of the 13 colonies, a wing for the history of just GA as a state, a wing for the history of Atlanta, and a wing for the history of the Civil War that could then tie into the Cyclorama. Just thinking out loud please don't butcher me if you don't like it.

In other news what's happening with Atlantic Station? I have a question? Now that Delta is the official carrier of Cirque du Soleil what would happen if AS got in on the bit too. They want to build Atlanta's new super-talls where the CdS tent is now. What if AS was to get with CdS and design a venue that catered to their taste on that lot? You could incorporate the design of super-talls into the space with room for Hotel, Condo, and Office, and retail at the base. It would be the Omni Hotel concept on a massive scale and it would give AS a world class convention space, super-tall towers, and would be the official home of CdS every time they came to town.

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:46 PM
Reliable Source

I think you're onto some good ideas.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:51 PM

What if the Zoo moved to Piedmont Park? Isn't there about 100 acres of unused land they're sitting on?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
What if the Zoo moved to Piedmont Park? Isn't there about 100 acres of unused land they're sitting on?
I think that's designated for park expansion right?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 9:07 PM

Why don't we just let the animals go? Not in town, of course, but back where we got them from.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Why don't we just let the animals go? Not in town, of course, but back where we got them from.
What?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:18 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Well, if we're going to do that, to save on expenses the zoo might consider shipping the lions and tigers to an obvious location like Detroit. Several other animals could easily stay right here in the Atlanta area...

Flamingos could be scattered all over front lawns in Gwinnett County
Snakes could go to the Capital where they'll feel right at home
Bears would appropriately be sent to The Eagle on Ponce where they too will be right at home

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Can you imagine the protest that would occur if this were even hinted at? Based on personal experience / frustration with the Atlanta Botanical Garden Parking Deck fiasco, I don't think this is even a remote possibility.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3eblover View Post
What?
John, take a look at the lead story in today's AJC. It's about the ethics of keeping animals in captivity.

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/li...vaquarium.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:33 PM

From CL:

"Glamorous" isn't a word used much to describe anything in Atlanta. In Los Angeles, on the other hand, the word is right up there with "totally" and "fabulous." And it always excludes the word "yesterday."

Dolce Enoteca e Ristorante (261 19th St., 404-872-3902) comes direct to Atlanta from L.A., courtesy of the celebrity-owned Dolce Group, and is the most glamorous restaurant to hit our city at least since One Midtown Kitchen made Atlantans cry "shazam!" Dolce is beautiful without being excessively gimmicky. Nor is it full of old furniture to magnetize old money. How fabulous is it? It's so totally fabulous it even makes you forget it's located in Atlantic Station, whose architecture is so very yesterday.

I should mention that the Dolce Group is not beyond the gimmicky in any general way. They are also opening, in Atlantic Station, Ten Pin Alley, a bar cum bowling alley, and Geisha House, a sake and sushi bar that promises to eroticize diners from head to toe with its sensual ambiance. I hope Mayor Shirley Franklin and her religious constituency don't get wind of this and decide to outlaw sushi consumption on Sundays.

Like any great piece of design, Dolce tends to defy good description because every angle produces a different view. There are enormous, classic chandeliers contrasting with dangling light fixtures that look like inverted-glass calla lilies. Sheer curtains cordon off areas of the restaurant, whose optical focus is a big plasma screen that impersonates a hearth's dancing flames. OK, that's kind of gimmicky, but represents a compromise with city ordinances forbidding the glassed-in fire the L.A. restaurant exhibits for decorative effect.

Dolce's walls are dark gray with silhouetted flowers here and there. Generally, the restaurant is dark and sultry, but there's enough light at each table to assure that everyone can see and be seen. The staff wears all black with gold embossing on one shoulder. It makes you wonder if "Gabbana" is related to this Dolce. You don't want to come here from the gym in your track pants. Jeans are appropriate -- if they cost $250.

Here's the best news: The food is good. An enoteca in Italy typically serves tapas-like plates and the emphasis is on the wine. Here, chef Don Diem has created a number of small plates that aren't so small, actually. Most are meant to be shared. They include classics such as a pasta and fagiole soup, carpaccio, bruschetta and handmade mozzarella, which we ordered.

Diem makes the cheese and it's way above the average for our city. The appetizer includes a wedge that is fried and a raw roll lightly flavored with sun-dried tomatoes. On the side are two startling sauces. One tastes like a classic tapenade and the other is made of roasted fennel and yellow bell peppers.

A section of the menu advises that "you're crazy if you don't order at least one of these." Among those is a platter of prosciutto, charred tomatoes and burrata, and fresh mozzarella wrapped about a core of fresh cream. I'd never sampled it before and I want more. Also delectable is the "love bruschetta." It is slices of toast topped with fresh figs, prosciutto and a fig reduction. I do love good figs in almost any form and I'd eat this daily if I could.

There are risotti and pastas on the menu. I'm anxious to try the truffle linguine with duck confit, peas, prosciutto and mushrooms, but Wayne ordered the straightforward "garden" risotto with asparagus, pecorino cheese, confit zucchini and sun-dried tomato. It, too, was very good but pale beside my entree, one of the best dishes I've eaten in our city in months.

It was a special -- a huge, glossy, fork-tender veal shank served over halved fingerling potatoes that had been roasted in prosciutto fat. The potatoes mingled with freshly sauteed spinach and a bit of chopped fennel. I ordered this rather than the restaurant's signature ossobuco, probably my favorite Italian dish. I'll be returning, but it's hard to believe it will be better than the special.

For dessert, we shared a goblet of tiramisu, not especially unique in any respect, but creamy comfort after an unusually good meal.

Service at the restaurant is mainly good, although the server tried to leave our forks and knives on the table after the first course.

"We should have fresh forks and knives," Wayne barked and the waiter genuflected all the way to the service area to fetch clean silverware.

"It shouldn't even occur to them to set your dirty knife and fork on the table," Wayne said to me. After 14 years of dining together, I have created a monster.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 9:13 PM
Witty comment fail

What a horribly pretentious review.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 11:28 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio View Post
What a horribly pretentious review.
My turn!

I've been there twice for drinks and it looks to me like someplace that should be packed with mall-banged girls (not a compliment, BTW). All the black and white banquettes, the amber colored "inverted-glass calla lily" light fixtures, gaudy crystal chandeliers and the fireplace video is a little too 'Jersey' for my taste.
The speciality drinks (at $12!!!) are suprisingly small, taste a lot like fruit juice and are served by an overly-plucked bartender with major attitude.

The sofas along the front windows, while attractive, are an awkward size...way too deep. You either slouch over at the front of the sofa or, if you slide all the way back, your legs stick straight out...not something that I, at 6'1" encounter too often and I felt like I was back in primary school.

The food I saw delivered to the tables looked great and if I have enough hairspray left, I may return.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:13 AM

Quote:

That would be my suggestion.

Personally, I really dont care about the zoo whatso ever. I just think zoos are just lame, unless they are done right, such as NO or SD, etc. If so they can be awesome, but Zoo ATL? Rather drive on suburban interstates on a friday afternoon to tell you the truth.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 12:35 PM
Reliable Source

That about sums it up for me. I recommend don't relocate. The money is better spent on other needs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta