HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:05 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Best approach to deal with NIMBYs: ignore them.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Blackberry 10? I, personally, can't wait to pick one up!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM

Builders brainstorm on NIMBY phenomenon

Quote:
It's an acronym that seems to have morphed into every-day lexicon – NIMBY – 'Not in my backyard.'

Rehabilitation centres, halfway houses and low-income housing developments often face the NIMBY factor.

So on Wednesday, the Canadian Home Builders' Association NL held a focus group on the topic.

CEO Victoria Belbin said they explored what can be done to get resistant neighbours on board.

"There's so much development happening, and what we're finding is that people may not have the best information," said Belbin.

"There are a lot of assumptions out there and people feel they're not engaged in the process. What we're trying to do is streamline that engaged process."

Belbin said the meeting is part of a larger, government-funded NIMBY project to develop the best approach to dealing with opposition to such developments.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ers-01-30.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 12:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Blackberry 10? I, personally, can't wait to pick one up!

If ignoring them were only that easy. Another way is to NOT VOTE THEM IN come September.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:53 PM

THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!

Lyubov Orlova under tow off coast of Newfoundland

Quote:
A vessel belonging to an offshore operator is now towing the Lyubov Orlova in a northernly direction off the coast of Newfoundland.
According to a spokeswoman for Husky Energy, the immediate priority is to move the former cruise ship away from offshore facilities.
Adrift at sea since Thursday, the Orlova was at one point moving towards the Hibernia platform. CBC News reported the vessel was at one point 11 kilometres from the platform.
The Husky spokeswoman said the tow with the Atlantic Hawk was established at 6:15 p.m. Wednesday. As to where it will be towed, she said no final decision has been made.
A spokesman for the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board said discussions took place among local operators that were monitoring the situation with the Orlova.
A fixture in St. John’s harbour for over two years, the Lyubov Orlova left the port last Wednesday with assistance from an American tugboat, the Charlene Hunt. The tow line separated the following day.
More details on this story will be released as they become available.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...Newfoundland/1

* NOTE: The Atlantic hawk belongs to Atlantic Towing

I wonder where they will bring it and who will flip the bill??

Many in the marine industry believe that the ones who bought it found it to be VERY un economical and had planned to let her drift under the asumption the coast guard would sink her as she got too close to shore... well that didn't pan out lol! and Husky must be nervous for the oil rigs!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 8:13 PM

Quote:

It looks pretty good. I hope it's enough to save RIM (or just blackberry as they are called now) from extinction as competition is always a good thing for innovation and consumer choice. But BB10 comes 5 years too late. The brand is pretty much dead and irrelevant. BB10 is going to have to be pretty damn amazing to save them now!

As for me, I'll stick with my iPhone

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:

I'm and Android user, through and through. But it'll be interesting to see how well the new BB device does. I must say it looks pretty cool! Hopefully Blackberry (fka RIM) will do well and start to take back a part of the market share on mobile devices. It'll be a tough challenge ahead for them!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I have a Samsung right now as well. iPhone before this. I prefer the Android overall but there were some things I liked about the iPhone. A lot of things just seemed more intuitive with the iPhone, but that's just because they patented the shit out of everything so Android had to use other ways to, for example, unlock or zoom.

I'd be willing to give BB a try, though, especially if it continues on the path its on. It's still a Quebec company, right?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:18 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

RIM is based in Waterloo, Ont.

I think I'll be picking one up. I've stuck with my Blackberry Bold this long for the QWERTY Keyboard. That being said, the new OS seems to lend itself more to a larger screen, so maybe I'll finally have to move to the world of the touchscreen. Either way, I'm excited to get something new.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 1:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh, Ontario, O.K. - still Canadian owned? Or does an American company actually control it now?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, Ontario, O.K. - still Canadian owned? Or does an American company actually control it now?
Pretty sure it's still Canadian owned. It feels so weird calling it Blackberry now because I'm so used to being corrected or correcting others to "RIM". It just feels wrong

Apple iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Blackberry Blackberry!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
RIM is based in Waterloo, Ont.

I think I'll be picking one up. I've stuck with my Blackberry Bold this long for the QWERTY Keyboard. That being said, the new OS seems to lend itself more to a larger screen, so maybe I'll finally have to move to the world of the touchscreen. Either way, I'm excited to get something new.
I think another big limitation for BB are the apps (or lack thereof). The biggest driver for most phone purchases are the apps. Although, I heard z10 will have access to over 70,000 apps - a good start indeed!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 9:29 PM

Good move to rename the company Blackberry. Now we don't have to hear about RIM-jobs anymore in the news

I don't think the BB10 is going to help them. I predict within 5 years the company will fold. It seems that Blackberry has a dedicated base of customers but aren't gaining any ground on switching iPhone/Android users over. It may be the opposite: most of the people I know who own Blackberry products are making the switch because they've had enough.

I can't say much though. Apple keeps screwing me in the anus yet I keep buying their awful phones. I am what's wrong with the world

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:14 AM

Apple offers you the best smartphone on the market with A very tight leash called ios that ensures that you don't do anything creative or unique to personalize your phone. What more could you possibly want?? Haha

I still love it all the same, but I would like a bit more personalization and maps that work

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:22 AM

It would seem that I am the only one who is sick and has nothing to do on a Friday night. I can only hope that signal is out drinking up a storm to make my night more interesting!

Maybe well hear the real first impressions you guys made on him on that first forum meet,

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:26 AM

I'm lurking, no worries. I have nothing else to do on a Friday night

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
It would seem that I am the only one who is sick and has nothing to do on a Friday night. I can only hope that signal is out drinking up a storm to make my night more interesting!

Maybe well hear the real first impressions you guys made on him on that first forum meet,
I'm here now too lol, waiting for a friend to come over for some wine but SSP is like crack hahaha gotta get me fix before I goes a couple of hours without it hahahahha

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:31 AM

I'll be skyping it up with the ladyfriend shortly, but of course SSP will be open at the same time. My relationship with this forum is just as important as my real relationship

Please don't let her know that, she may kill me

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I'll be skyping it up with the ladyfriend shortly, but of course SSP will be open at the same time. My relationship with this forum is just as important as my real relationship

Please don't let her know that, she may kill me
it's funny and sad!

but I know EXACTLY what you mean!! hahahahaha

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 12:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm doing perhaps the most enjoyably embarassing thing I've done on a Friday night in my life: trying World of Warcraft dungeoning with the fiance, ha!

But Yuk Yuks tomorrow night. So I'll be redeemed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I'm doing perhaps the most enjoyably embarassing thing I've done on a Friday night in my life: trying World of Warcraft dungeoning with the fiance, ha!

But Yuk Yuks tomorrow night. So I'll be redeemed.
Sounds like an overall decent weekend! Never played WoW or gone to Yuk Yuks, but both seem decently entertaining

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's