HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
when Tony first got elected I hated him. But I think he's actually doing a pretty good job at the moment.
Same. This is the first time I will vote for him.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
McKeen for Ward 6
I am with you

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:45 PM

Mike Nickel has supposedly gone thru a Saul-from-Damascus conversion, so he's no longer a Mr. No. Do you believe him?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:47 PM

Actions speak louder than words, and I haven't seen Mike do anything.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Mike Nickel has supposedly gone thru a Saul-from-Damascus conversion, so he's no longer a Mr. No. Do you believe him?

Well maybe if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Last night

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 2:40 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I was kind of leaning on Sonia Bitar in ward 11. Still throwing darts here.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:44 AM

Sonia Bitar swore my family in as Canadian citizens. she would have my vote if I was in her ward. she is a fantastic, incredible person
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:33 PM

Eleven Edmonton election embarrassments
Article on GigCity by Mike Ross

http://www.gigcity.ca/2013/10/18/ele...mbarrassments/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 9:13 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 10:31 PM

I don't understand some of the decisions in Karen's campaign. That is a nice long list of names but the majority of them mean absolutely nothing to me....am I to look through them until I see somebody that means something to me? Is it a list of people that have agreed to vote for her? Going for quantity I guess... Even if you click on the link to see what people are saying about Karen the first bunch of them are just random people that support her. I dunno...maybe that is effective but it seems like a strange approach to me.

Reading Don's endorsements (and many other things his campaign has come up with) has made me feel even more confident in my choice. When Karen does something I usually just feel confused. She was never my favorite on council, but she sure came off a lot better in that role than she has as a candidate for mayor. It's honestly quite perplexing to me. She's a smart lady with a good amount of $ behind her, why do I feel she becoming less appealing every day?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 10:57 PM

Karens list is a PC Party list. Dons list is from people who give a shit about Edmonton. After reading that I have flipped: I and partner are voting for Don. We want what's right for Edmonton and not a candidate that publishes a list of PC political supporters...to send a message. ET is a former VP in a PC Constituency Association...and no fan of Wildrose. We are voting using our brain not with blinders on.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:34 AM
I'm cheap

I made sure to vote this time. Usually I don't vote in municipal elections, but this time I felt that I had to. I had a fear of Kerry being elected as mayor. He kind of reminds me of a fear monger and only looking out for his best interests. So, I went and voted today and I hope my choice comes through.

At first I was going to vote for Karen but something just doesn't seem right with her campaign, and the more and more I looked at Don Iveson and what he wanted to do, I started to like him a lot more. So, I hope I made the wise choice with Don. I will keep a close eye on election night as I'll be out of the province.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 12:38 PM

I went and voted last week as I'll be in Dominican on October 21st wooo!!!

Don just seems to be the most prepared for this election and is firm on all his points. And the other week, a buddy invited me to some live MMA fights for drinks (pretty cool show also to be honest) and Don was there giving a speech to the crowd halfway through the show. It was cool to see he's reaching out to other demographics; he's smart. I talked to a few people there that all said they'd vote for him.

Among many things I like, one small point that caught my attention is that he wants to speed up the process of changing all the street lights to LED.. yes Don, I do want to see this sooner than later...

!!Don Don he's our man! He can do it, yes he can!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 12:40 PM

I voted for Don Iveson for mayor last Tuesday before I listened to the final hour given to all three candidates on 630 ched this last week. Kerry Diotte had his say on Wednesday, Karen Keibovici on Thursday and Don Iveson on Friday. Needless to say, I am even more happy with my vote after what I heard this week. Kerry will get the typical protest vote but there is not enough of that to make a solid difference. I think most Edmontonians can see past that strategy. Karen, may have more political experience but she is not running an effective campaign. I find it really disturbing that every issue that is addressed by her these days is to first describe how others are off the mark with little discussion on how she would be better. Don provided professional, solid, well thought out responses to all of the city's concerns and never once needed to mention the other candidates. I am more impressed than ever that he will be the best leader and ambassador for the city as well as the best negotiator as mayor to move Edmonton forward.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 12:01 AM

This pretty confirms that I made the right choice in voting for Iveson

http://doniveson.ca/2013/10/20/final...-the-election/

Quote:
Edmonton has an extraordinary education system from kindergarten to the PhD in nanotechnology. The arts scene is fantastic, unpretentious and accessible. Housing is still relatively affordable, at least relative to other Canadian cities. The river valley, sports and recreation, the romance of the dark seasons and the vibrancy of the bright ones compelled us to stay and build our family here. How could you leave this behind? Most of all, our economy and our business culture are open and inviting. Our iconic businesses, arts organizations, and social ventures have shown us that we can start anything, in Edmonton, and take it to out into the world. In Edmonton, if we build it together we build it strong. It endures. That’s the quintessential quality of this city.

We all feel this, but it wasn’t until I began making these presentations that it became clear, both to me and to others in the room, that we have to articulate it better. This isn’t just marketing. Making decisions based on who we are at our best can be our strategic advantage. It’s how we can solve our problems. A city with confidence, a city that knows what makes it special, can make the right decisions together — can build together.

We’re competing with hundreds of mid-sized cities for investment, for talented people, for new businesses and events and technological innovation. Too often we’ve been beaten.

We can all feel it: this election can be the moment where Edmonton turns. This can be where we begin to show people they were wrong to underestimate Edmonton.

This isn’t my Edmonton. It’s yours. My strategy has been simple: I’ve listened to you for six years on council and during this campaign: businesspeople, artists, new immigrants, aboriginal Edmontonians, seniors, students, those of you who are struggling and those of you who have built icons and institutions in this city. We’ve developed policies and plans so you — Edmontonians — have the tools, the encouragement, the vision, the story and the framework to create something extraordinary on the banks of the North Saskatchewan.

Yes, we always must ensure fiscal prudence, but it is a time for boldness.

Why Edmonton? I feel, over the last several months, we have tried most of all to answer that question together. It was the heart of our campaign. Our platform is your distilled ambitions for your city.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 1:54 AM

don posted some "final thoughts" and i responded with some final thoughts if my own:

Don,

Final thoughts on final thoughts? I will be voting for you tomorrow not because we have always agreed but because you have been reasoned when we have not and remained respectful when we have not. At the end of the day it is apparent that we both love the city we have chosen to live in and we both share a vision of how special a city it can be as long as we all work on building it, not simply managing it or criticizing it. Best wishes to you and your family regardless of what Tuesday morning brings.

Ken

whether you have arrived at the same conclusions i have or not, please get out and vote...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:37 PM
Urban Advocate

As did I:

Quote:
Don,

As I've said before, I've admired your work and passion on council for the past two terms, and have eagerly anticipated a mayoral campaign from you where that passion can shine. It has been encouraging to see the positive and informative campaign you have run reach across all age, gender, race and political spectrums to inspire Edmontonians alike. 'Politics in complete sentences', even if we disagree, over catch-phrases and potshots is what we as a young, growing and dynamic city really want and really need.

My wife and I made a decision to move back to Edmonton a year ago after a number of years abroad because we saw this same opportunity to grow our careers and our family in one of the best places possible to do so. The most under-estimated city in Canada? Absolutely.

I'm proud to be called an Edmontonian again, and I'll be proud to call you Mayor.

- Dave
As Ken said, get out and vote today!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:08 PM

To add my voice, I will be voting Iveson / McKeen this afternoon. I'm particularly impressed that they were able to run positive campaigns while resisting the temptation to run a scare campaign - which would have been easy in this election.

With no incumbent to dominate the race, I hope that this positivity encourages more from all demographics to have their voices heard.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:24 PM
HVAC guru

Zipped back to the PCCL hall just now to cast my vote and make sure that the volunteers have everything they need for the day.. steady trickle of people in & out, mostly the older folks voting at the moment, I expect it'll get busy around 4pm or so.. voted trepidatiously for Don Iveson and Tony Caterina. One I know well, the other one I don't know at all. Both have great potential and both have the capability to really F things up.

Partner is still technically registered in ward 6 & voted for Iveson and MacKenzie.

If we were registered in Goldbar we'd probably be voting for Henderson.. but really haven't been paying too much attention to that ward, been way too busy with moving, demolishing, drywalling painting, listing and trying to sell property

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 6:07 PM
Community Guy

Poll 15 (108st/100ave) was steady.

Iveson, McKeen, Janz.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton