HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Agree.....

Back in 1990...I was taking law enforcement at Grant MacEwan. We all had to volunteer with the EPS. My posting was with the Beaver Hills police station when it was there. We had a lot of problems with the cover/trees and hills in this park. It concealed a lot of crime and drug trafficking. Hence why the city at the time redesigned the park to be more open. Now, our crime is a lot worse downtown. I guess just having good sitelines and trying not to have any hidden pockets is my only real concern. This park will indeed be awesome. I just hope that its policed properly. P.s... there is no way in hell I'm going into central park at any time
Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post, if the city isn't prepared to have police or peace officers at the park on a 24 hour rotation, there really is no point in building this park.

Look at all the money spent on the park and streetscape in The Quarters, total waste of resources. I haven't been down there this year, but late last fall I decided to check it out and it was a hot mess. There were people passed out and stumbling around. Plus all the commercial spaces at the Doubletree were boarded up as all the windows were smashed out. You can actually use Google Streetview and check it out. They were still bordered up. The latest view is from July 2023.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:58 PM

Figured out how to post photos. Here is a screenshot of what I was referring to above:

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:59 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Agree.....

Back in 1990...I was taking law enforcement at Grant MacEwan. We all had to volunteer with the EPS. My posting was with the Beaver Hills police station when it was there. We had a lot of problems with the cover/trees and hills in this park. It concealed a lot of crime and drug trafficking. Hence why the city at the time redesigned the park to be more open. Now, our crime is a lot worse downtown. I guess just having good sitelines and trying not to have any hidden pockets is my only real concern. This park will indeed be awesome. I just hope that its policed properly. P.s... there is no way in hell I'm going into central park at any time
Where was that station located?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 3:04 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEG-Urbanist View Post
Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post, if the city isn't prepared to have police or peace officers at the park on a 24 hour rotation, there really is no point in building this park.

Look at all the money spent on the park and streetscape in The Quarters, total waste of resources. I haven't been down there this year, but late last fall I decided to check it out and it was a hot mess. There were people passed out and stumbling around. Plus all the commercial spaces at the Doubletree were boarded up because all the windows were smashed out (I would post pics I took, but don't know how).
The old Beaverhills Park had a lot of blind spots and areas where there were zero sightlines. Based on my experience I wouldn't say Beaverhills Park is bad as I've never had a negative encounter. Sure there are some characters but that's like most urban parks.

The context and conditions in the Quarters and this area are two different worlds.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:50 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Figured out how to post photos. Here is a screenshot of what I was referring to above:
The developer was 'encouraged'... '...' to put those in with little to no reason or justification other than wishes and will.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 6:32 AM

Quote:

Look at all the money spent on the park and streetscape in The Quarters, total waste of resources. I haven't been down there this year, but late last fall I decided to check it out and it was a hot mess. There were people passed out and stumbling around. Plus all the commercial spaces at the Doubletree were boarded up because all the windows were smashed out (I would post pics I took, but don't know how).

I'm usually downtown everyday for one reason or another. I drove past the Quarters park today. What a Joke. Homeless everywhere, a tent city across the street. Waste of cash. Hey COE...please don't build shit and waste our money if you don't plan on following laws on the books!! It's all Bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Where was that station located?

If you can believe it, it was in the Jasper Block. Just a store front and back room.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:23 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
If you can believe it, it was in the Jasper Block. Just a store front and back room.
Wow, that's neat, kind of wish we've had those small stations throughout the city again, though the old Three Bananas Cafe in Churchill Square will be a 'sort of' EPS station of sorts.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
I'm usually downtown everyday for one reason or another. I drove past the Quarters park today. What a Joke. Homeless everywhere, a tent city across the street. Waste of cash. Hey COE...please don't build shit and waste our money if you don't plan on following laws on the books!! It's all Bullshit.
I'm all for investing in communities and making them better. But the "build it and they will come" mentality doesn't work.

Would have been a different story if they announced these improvements in conjunction with some major residential developments.

That money most likely could have funded all the Japser streetscaping between109 and 101. Obviously there must be a reason why they skipped doing the core downtown, but it drives me crazy. I cant stand seeing all those hideous green street assets everyday. And WTF is up with that green ball blob thingee on the Ave between 103 and 102?!?!? I literally want to take a sludge hammer and blow it out myself. lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 4:52 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
I'm all for investing in communities and making them better. But the "build it and they will come" mentality doesn't work.

Would have been a different story if they announced these improvements in conjunction with some major residential developments.

That money most likely could have funded all the Japser streetscaping between109 and 101. Obviously there must be a reason why they skipped doing the core downtown, but it drives me crazy. I cant stand seeing all those hideous green street assets everyday. And WTF is up with that green ball blob thingee on the Ave between 103 and 102?!?!? I literally want to take a sludge hammer and blow it out myself. lol
I agree, those park spaces should've not been built, at least not yet. I agree they should've went forward in conjunction with adjacent or nearby residential projects.

If anything, a skatepark and basketball courts should've been built instead. At least those would've drawn skaters and basketball players to the area, whereas the parks only draw people wanting to sleep on the grass since there is no other reason to visit them lol

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 6:46 PM

You guys do realize that the Warehouse Park is being funded with a CRL which is separate from the other city projects being funded (including the Jasper Ave streetscaping), right?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
You guys do realize that the Warehouse Park is being funded with a CRL which is separate from the other city projects being funded (including the Jasper Ave streetscaping), right?
Sorry, I was referring the money spent on the Quarters, not the warehouse park. But still kind of the same issue. Not sure if spending the money on the Warehouse park is good value, considering crime and social problems continue to increase. I feel the park will just escalate it.

I know there isn't an easy solution to what is happening downtown. It could take decades and that is only if the province and the federal gov't start taking the issue seriously. There is only so much the city is able to do about the issue.

Its all just really frustrating. Part of being the gateway to the north and multiple prisons in the area unfortunately.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 6:16 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Sorry, I was referring the money spent on the Quarters, not the warehouse park. But still kind of the same issue. Not sure if spending the money on the Warehouse park is good value, considering crime and social problems continue to increase. I feel the park will just escalate it.

I know there isn't an easy solution to what is happening downtown. It could take decades and that is only if the province and the federal gov't start taking the issue seriously. There is only so much the city is able to do about the issue.

Its all just really frustrating. Part of being the gateway to the north and multiple prisons in the area unfortunately.
Like I said, two different contexts. One area has a high concentration of halfway houses the other does not. One area has experienced limited redevelopment activity over the past decade while the other almost the opposite.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:18 PM

Is it still realistic they'll finish the park by 2025?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:23 PM
Community Guy

Two construction seasons ie. all of 2024 and much of 2025 seems reasonable.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 9:56 PM

Very enjoyable! Can't wait to use it. Wonder what event and festival will use it? Maybe 1 or 2 events will leave Churchill Sq.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 12:58 AM

Will there be a large area in Warehouse Park to hold a couple thousand chairs and stage?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 2:26 AM

^

I hazard to say this might be more attractive than Churchill square.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 10:57 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
^

I hazard to say this might be more attractive than Churchill square.
Wouldn't be surprised, it'll be like Churchill before the 2004 reno, as the square was mainly grass and trees (aka a park).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Wouldn't be surprised, it'll be like Churchill before the 2004 reno, as the square was mainly grass and trees (aka a park).
100%....to me its a bit to “Sterile & Boring” compared to how it was before the renos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton