HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:38 PM

I could have sworn that they had just reclad the Newport maybe a decade or so ago? With the same colour panels as before so it wasn't that obvious. Or am I misremembering?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I could have sworn that they had just reclad the Newport maybe a decade or so ago? With the same colour panels as before so it wasn't that obvious. Or am I misremembering?
I Think only the east side was done, it's why that side looked different from the others. I could be wrong though.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 6:34 PM

You are correct only 1 side ( east ) was done .

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 12:59 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

there re did 3 sides of that building. east was done first with several years between that and the other 2 sides portage and west from what i remember

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 1:19 AM

Portage Place parking rates

I believe IF Portage Place is actually sold at that price parking rates will climb substantially in that location. The rates have been under market for a long time. This will cascade to other parkades and lots. As lots and parkades are valued by the City on their cash flow, their assessed value will increase as will their tax bill. More tax revenue for the City and more cost to drivers. Will people use their cars less because of the increases cost? Unlikely...

Last edited by Labroco; Jul 13, 2019 at 1:20 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
there re did 3 sides of that building. east was done first with several years between that and the other 2 sides portage and west from what i remember
I do think you are correct on that. Only one side was completed.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I believe IF Portage Place is actually sold at that price parking rates will climb substantially in that location. The rates have been under market for a long time. This will cascade to other parkades and lots. As lots and parkades are valued by the City on their cash flow, their assessed value will increase as will their tax bill. More tax revenue for the City and more cost to drivers. Will people use their cars less because of the increases cost? Unlikely...
No, they will just shop more so @ Dollar stores, Ikea and Mal-Wart?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:

On what basis are you saying rates are under market exactly? FNP uses the money from the lot to subsidize its other operations, what incentive would they have to provide rates under market?

Demand for parking is not completely inelastic. So yes, if parking becomes more expensive some people will stop driving and change their behaviour.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 2:32 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I’m not familiar enough to know if any of that is true but higher parking rates has proven to be a significant catalyst for commuter mode change in other cities. Calgary is a prime example.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m not familiar enough to know if any of that is true but higher parking rates has proven to be a significant catalyst for commuter mode change in other cities. Calgary is a prime example.
Pretty tough to compare the much superior Calgary public transportation system to Winnipeg’s inadequate system though! NO?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 2:55 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Pretty tough to compare the much superior Calgary public transportation system to Winnipeg’s inadequate system though! NO?
Also, Calgary is dominated by one industry, participants in which have a lot of incentive to cluster together, close to related businesses, sources of capital and heavily-used professional services. Winnipeg's businesses are scattered rather randomly across many sectors and may be less inclined to remain downtown if increased parking costs begin to drive labour costs up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:30 PM

Quote:
If more people start relying on public transportation, it stands to reason that politicians might listen and redirect some of the torrents of road spending to transit instead.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If more people start relying on public transportation, it stands to reason that politicians might listen and redirect some of the torrents of road spending to transit instead.
I doubt it. Calgary and Edmonton had the vision to do theirs in the late 70’s and early 80’s we should have been building back then too. If we haven’t caught on by now I really don’t think we ever will. Current infrastructure is already crap and trying to justify spending money on rapid transit will become harder and harder. Lagimodier between grassie and the perimeter is nuts. It needs to be widened, waiting multiple light cycles at grassie at 10am on a Tuesday is crazy. It’s also chaos on lagimodier between Dugald and Marion. All the trucks turning taking up entire turning lanes constantly cause backups at all times of the day. Bishop is nuts. Kenaston is nuts. Winnipeg needs some freeways... that in itself would help speed up transit and make it more efficient and enticing.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You are one of, of not THE, most negative, Debbie downer, boo-birds I have ever encountered.

You must be real fun at parties.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
You are one of, of not THE, most negative, Debbie downer, boo-birds I have ever encountered.

You must be real fun at parties.
Coming from you I'll take that as a compliment!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I doubt it. Calgary and Edmonton had the vision to do theirs in the late 70’s and early 80’s we should have been building back then too. If we haven’t caught on by now I really don’t think we ever will. Current infrastructure is already crap and trying to justify spending money on rapid transit will become harder and harder. Lagimodier between grassie and the perimeter is nuts. It needs to be widened, waiting multiple light cycles at grassie at 10am on a Tuesday is crazy. It’s also chaos on lagimodier between Dugald and Marion. All the trucks turning taking up entire turning lanes constantly cause backups at all times of the day. Bishop is nuts. Kenaston is nuts. Winnipeg needs some freeways... that in itself would help speed up transit and make it more efficient and enticing.
Lmfao.....have you been to either of those cities at rush hour? Its horrid. And they had the forsight? What to excessive urban sprawl.

Freeways dont make a city great. They actually ruin them. Detriot is a fine example. Make it easier for people to live far away. Then shit happens and you end up with a half dead city.

This city and province just needs to finish the inner ring road and fix the fkn perimeter

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 7:42 PM

This building got darker

44 Hargrave
Developer: Unknown
Architect(s) : AtLRG Architecture Inc.
Description: A 6 storey, 63 suite downtown in-fill apartment building with surface level open-air parking behind the building.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Lmfao.....have you been to either of those cities at rush hour? Its horrid. And they had the forsight? What to excessive urban sprawl.

Freeways dont make a city great. They actually ruin them. Detriot is a fine example. Make it easier for people to live far away. Then shit happens and you end up with a half dead city.

This city and province just needs to finish the inner ring road and fix the fkn perimeter
LMFAO... Bishop grandin, lag, and chief peguis, all basically have the fundamental design characteristics of a freeway as it is... without the added bonus of interchanges, do you really think replacing the lights with interchanges and cutting off access at some intersections would destroy the city? you think turning these routes into a freeway would be the death of Winnipeg?!?!? Wow. I didn’t realize that lights everywhere are the key to making Winnipeg better! Every major city in the world has freakin freeways, London Paris New York, have em, hell Regina Quebec City and Halifax have em too. But you pick Detroit as a comparison... talk about cherry picking... ha ha ha
I think it’s pretty pathetic that I can go all the way from 59 and the perimeter to st vital mall at ten in the morning on a Tuesday without ever reaching the posted speed limit of 80km.
And what does the urban sprawl of edmonton and Calgary have to do with the fact that the were smarter than us to develop transit 40 years ago? I don’t give a fuck how sprawled out they are... they have proper transit... just like Toronto, just like Montreal, just like London and New York.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:20 AM

I don't like that building now. White looks better. I also hate car parking underneath. With the open air you just get so many problems. Break-ins, birds nesting in the ceiling, plumbing because it has to make a 90 degree turn. It's all crap.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:26 AM

Best Western Premier on Regent in Transcona now accepting reservations for December 1 onwards: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.63018.html

Hyatt House near the outlet mall now accepting reservations for a pushed back date of December 22: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...llection/ywgxw

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan