HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 9:24 PM
I am the law!

I don't mind the look of the tower. The look is a product of the development parcel. 35 times lot coverage at only 52 storey is an ugly lot coverage for a skyscraper and inhibits the architect to an I don't mind the look tower. And affordable just means tiny. 630 units in 35,000 square metres. Overall, another response to the bubbly market today and a terrible precedence for the long term future of Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 9:30 PM
I am the law!

I don't mind the look refers to the rendering. I don't have a lot of hope that it won't be back painted glass spandreled with the players involved

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Overall, another response to the bubbly market today and a terrible precedence for the long term future of Toronto.
Yeah, projects like this will just lower the desirability of...*checks notes*...Dundas and Sherbourne.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 9:46 PM
Community Guy

Two 22-Storey Towers Planned For First Phase Of Edmonton Mill Woods Town Centre

The City of Edmonton is currently taking public comment on the proposal for the first phase of the Mill Woods Town Centre redevelopment.

Howard Chai
February 09, 2024

https://storeys.com/edmonton-mill-wo...ent-phase-one/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 10:02 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Yeah, projects like this will just lower the desirability of...*checks notes*...Dundas and Sherbourne.
It's not going to improve it. Please correct me that the 400ish square foot bowling alley hotel suite layout apartments within arms reach of another building with bowling alley hotel suite layout apartments are considered desirable to the tens of thousand occupying them.

Okay then. Dundas and Sherbourne is a shithole. The towers built and rising at Redpath and Broadway aren't ugly or cheap looking by Toronto standards. The environment created by the collective is oppressive to say the least. I'll speculate that the average unit layout will be narrow and cramped too.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I don't mind the look of the tower. The look is a product of the development parcel. 35 times lot coverage at only 52 storey is an ugly lot coverage for a skyscraper and inhibits the architect to an I don't mind the look tower. And affordable just means tiny. 630 units in 35,000 square metres. Overall, another response to the bubbly market today and a terrible precedence for the long term future of Toronto.
Pure greed. Why would the skyline step up going east from Jarvis? To create the most jarring-as-possible transition to low-rise neighbourhoods apparently...

If it weren't for the St Mikes flight paths, the whole area southeast of Ryerson would be a sun-less maze of canyons a-la King/Peter

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 11:12 PM
I am the law!

It's happening anyways regardless of reduced heights for the flight path

Intensification started off so well on King East around Sherbourne with MoZo and East Lofts and then the hulking Globe and Mail tower got built. Since, then it's block busting, retained facades on enormous podiums topped with 30 storey towers. It's a tragic end to a neighbourhood with lots of holes to fill but so much more potential to add to the existing fabric over the demolition and/or recreating it as facades attached to podiums under skyscrapers. How many individual properties were consolidated for ROC City and Grainger and Sanderson? Then there is Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario's intervention with as many housing units around the new Ontario Line station as possible irrespective of anything else.

Mozo and East Lofts have building heights reflective of their time. In no way should their example be interpreted as limiting height to those buildings. There's room for a slim Spire or Theatre Park both providing open space

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 13, 2024 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:01 AM

243-247 Davenport Road

16 Story condo with retail proposal.

DC Dev Corp & Richard Wengle Architects

South side of Davenport , just west of Avenue Rd.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 1:36 AM
I am the law!

The recently completed One Forest Hill by Wengle is a confusing mess of ideas. This one is too simple given the inelegant massing although it looks like two different midrises stacked on one another. Drop the podium and build a modified upper portion. An added bonus is 6 fewer floors would be a more appropriate scale.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
243-247 Davenport Road

16 Story condo with retail proposal.

DC Dev Corp & Richard Wengle Architects

South side of Davenport , just west of Avenue Rd.

I like the profile of this one.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:37 AM
Volatile Pacivist

The Davenport Road one looks decent to me. The only thing that I don't care for is that the facade is overly dominated by uniform window grid, and perhaps overly large windows for the style. The profile and silhouette seem to be trying to evoke Neo-Classical, Deco, and Art Moderne forms but those styles aren't so heavily dominated by window. There needs to be more of a focal element to break up all the window. For instance, the central stripe of darker frames should be more than just darker frames. It should be either protruding bay windows or ornate balconies with that line carrying up to some sort of crown element. One St Thomas, while not perfect, does a good job of reinterpreting a legacy style without it being overly compromised by contemporary demands for unimpeded views.

A facade consisting almost entirely of a uniform grid of square windows works well with modernist styles but for me, modernism doesn't work well with that silhouette. It dabbles in tacky pomo territory. But this is far from the worst offender so I can't complain to much. Just a minor note.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Pretty soon Toronto will have to start importing in 1800's to early 1900's era house facades to place on all of their new tower podiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
239 Dundas East | 163.6m | 52s | Metropia | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:39 PM

New rendering of Hamilton's 310 Frances Ave

source

source

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 7:07 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ I like the design of the towers which looks very sleek with the vertical lines.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:05 PM

Royal Ontario Museum - OpenROM Project | Siamak Hariri

Fueled by by a $50-million donation from the Hennick Family Foundation (the largest cash gift in ROM’s history), OpenROM includes an architectural transformation of the Museum’s main floor and a redesigned Bloor Street entrance. Highlights include large founatains wrapping around the heritage ROM building, an expansive bronze canopy sheltering the Bloor Street entrance and four-storey atrium capped with a sweeping, high-performance diagrid glass ceiling. Total budget for the reno is $130million.

“OpenROM’s expansive architectural design, coupled with year-round free admission to the Museum’s entire main floor, as well as unlimited access to special programming, live performances, and hands-on activities, will make ROM an even greater cultural anchor and gathering place”. 

UT

UT

UT

UT

UT

Fly through link: https://youtu.be/_bcs_LlfhpI

Last edited by Maldive; Feb 14, 2024 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:17 PM

This was a very unexpected surprise. How rich is that family to just gift 50 million?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This was a very unexpected surprise. How rich is that family to just gift 50 million?
Somewhere around 2 billion according to Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/jay-h...h=4da057c6c9d4

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 9:17 PM
I am the law!

This canupy compromises the integrity of the Liebeskind crystal. I hate stairs too.

This is an opportunity to spread the wealth to small museums that large donors ignore or buy, renovate, build an off site annex instead of constantly reinventing award worthy architectural design. I guess the dude's foundation wants the family name on another big name institution

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
This canupy compromises the integrity of the Liebeskind crystal.
The huge swath of transparent glass along Bloor, which exposes some the wacky structural steel required to build the thing, is great imo.

The little mall entrance that's presently there doesn't exactly scream "yay... we're here!".

UT

As for the stairs, there's a ramp plenty big enough for you to use.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 10:33 PM
I am the law!

Sometimes SSP just makes me want to throw my phone against the wall. I purposely said canopy or was it my spelling error that threw you off to start talking about the glazing. Its a swath of ground floor glazing that UTers complain about constantly. More glass is welcoming. This is just boring and unsympathetic to the star architecture Crystal hence the in vain attempt at the canopy as a buffer. The ROM went and hired an architect at the very peak of stardom. You don't have to be a Liebeskind fan or a Crystal fan to say that this is getting ridiculous like another Batman origin movie.

I don't like stairs out in the elements. They should be avoided whenever possible. These do absolute nothing to accentuate the architecture unlike classical design with columns, plinths and steps.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada