HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 10:07 PM

Just looking at some of the old plans for the site and they list Keith's hall as phase 2 along with new construction of Halkirk house next door (between keith's hall and Benjamin Weir house) The Alexander appears to phase 3. Could be quite a while if we have to wait for Keith's hall to finish and Halkirk house to be built. Plans are from 2008 though so perhaps they are no longer accurate with the phasing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 10:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That wouldn't be so bad. There is also an empty lot at the corner of Hollis and Bishop where the old Longshoremen building was located; I think that was going to be another phase of development.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halkirk is looking for an extension to the DA, and Allnovascotia is reported that they're now planning to build rentals instead of condo.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Halkirk is looking for an extension to the DA, and Allnovascotia is reported that they're now planning to build rentals instead of condo.
Build already, for god sakes. What are they waiting for? The next Wall Street induced boom/bust cycle?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, it's too bad that this one has taken so long. I think it would complement Bishop's Landing and the Cunard development nicely.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's too bad that this one has taken so long. I think it would complement Bishop's Landing and the Cunard development nicely.
I think they should include a "development" tax on the DA agreement extensive. Develop soon, or you're going to pay a hefty tax. If you don't want to develop, or can't afford it, then the tax remains on the property until it is flipped to someone who can.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Given how the Roy is luxury condos and markets 'heritage' as an asset, I'm surprised by the Alexander's lack of progress.

I'm not disappointed by rentals, though

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
I think it is good news that this project isn't dead. A rental residential tower would be fine.

The development agreement from April 2008 gives a height to the top of the mechanical penthouse of 241 feet and describes it as being a slender 21 storey tower http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/hac/...HAC72Apr23.pdf. If they can't get an extension on the development agreement then the HRM_by_Design post-bonus height limit is 49 meters (plus additional height is allowed for the mechanical penthouse) - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...alifax_LUB.pdf.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 5:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Anybody know if there has been any visible progress on Keith Hall? It is listed with a 2014 completion date on the G. F. Duffus and Co. website.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
No information on for how long the proposed extension is but HRM Planning does have the details page up. It's a non-substantive amendment so it only needs a motion from Regional Council which should only take a couple of months.

Case 18817 Details

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Anybody know if there has been any visible progress on Keith Hall? It is listed with a 2014 completion date on the G. F. Duffus and Co. website.
Last time I walked past (a couple weeks ago) the scaffolding was still up but from the little I could see behind it it looked like the sandstone had been restored really well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
No information on for how long the proposed extension is but HRM Planning does have the details page up. It's a non-substantive amendment so it only needs a motion from Regional Council which should only take a couple of months.

Case 18817 Details
I hope they give the minimal amount of extension time. This thing has been sitting smoldering for too long.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I hope they give the minimal amount of extension time. This thing has been sitting smoldering for too long.
Again it wasn't mentioned but from the other time extension applications I have seen none have exceeded two years in length. Given that this is downtown and it was done under the old planning rules and not HbD I imagine this will be for one year or less.

The Development Agreement was approved by council on September 9th, 2008. There is not set amount of time to have it registered but assuming it was done within 120 days (standard on new DA's) that means it came into effect by January 2009. Add five years and they have until January 2014 to have foundation work started. So with a standard one year extension that means excavation work will have to start this summer.

Here's the final Development Agreement; Case 00971 Staff Report

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Again it wasn't mentioned but from the other time extension applications I have seen none have exceeded two years in length. Given that this is downtown and it was done under the old planning rules and not HbD I imagine this will be for one year or less.

The Development Agreement was approved by council on September 9th, 2008. There is not set amount of time to have it registered but assuming it was done within 120 days (standard on new DA's) that means it came into effect by January 2009. Add five years and they have until January 2014 to have foundation work started. So with a standard one year extension that means excavation work will have to start this summer.

Here's the final Development Agreement; Case 00971 Staff Report
Excavation starting this summer would be good. I hope this happens.

I quite liked the early renderings for the project:

As wordlyhaligonian pointed out earlier, this looks like the Royal York in Toronto:

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 1:03 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Last time I walked past (a couple weeks ago) the scaffolding was still up but from the little I could see behind it it looked like the sandstone had been restored really well.
That is good to hear. It was one of the worst buildings of the city in terms of the discrepancy between its heritage value and its level of upkeep.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the tower. I doubt that a development agreement deadline would lead somebody to build an expensive building they otherwise wouldn't, but who knows?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 8:59 AM
we built this city

Thanks for the cred!

It sort of is like art deco style? It will do nicely to bridge the gap between the nice Georgian homes and the 1980's stuff.

Easily one of my top potential developments. This and the Bank of Canada development would help this part of downtown in ways I don't think I can even imagine. That's finally enough people to make new Barrington retail a certain success.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 8:40 PM

So the extension is for 3 years (2017) and will be decided by Regional Council on Tuesday (January 14th, 2014). According to the report some substantive amendments will be coming forward soon relating to Keith Hall. Also it is mentioned that a corporate tenant should of moved into Keith Hall in mid-December though restoration work does continue.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0114ca1119.pdf

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 10:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One thing I am curious about is when they plan to build Halkirk House. I didn't see anything about that in the report. I wonder if they will build it while work proceeds on Keith Hall.

It sounds like the only change for Keith Hall will be a balcony and maybe some bigger windows on the upper floor in the rear of the building. The heritage value is mostly in the front facade and maybe some of the interior in the existing floors. By rebuilding the upper floor mansard roof they're going to bring it closer to what it looked like originally, and it should look more impressive.

Makes me wish it were possible to rebuild the tower on top of the NFB building. A lot of heritage buildings have been stripped of detail over the years.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
So the extension is for 3 years (2017) and will be decided by Regional Council on Tuesday (January 14th, 2014). According to the report some substantive amendments will be coming forward soon relating to Keith Hall. Also it is mentioned that a corporate tenant should of moved into Keith Hall in mid-December though restoration work does continue.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0114ca1119.pdf
What was the outcome

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
What was the outcome
Passed unanumously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth