HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
I have no problem with townhouses, rowhouses, or single family homes being anywhere in the city. Put them on any 25'x120', street fronting, individual parcel of land you want.

Unfortunately when it comes to many townhouse developments in this city, they do not follow this pattern. Instead they create a fortress block that closes itself off from the city, is typically pedestrian hostile, are governed by associations which prevent customization, and ultimately block any future piecemeal redevelopment... which, you know, is what cities are all about.
yeah i say ban townhomes from the south look until the shit at plymouth court is demolished and the streets restored.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
I guess dogs are welcome anywhere except the bushes, since that stuff ISN'T GRASS. Plastic, all plastic, all fake. Yet another reason to yearn for your own yard.

Welcome to Wayward Pines

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The Rooftop @ Roosevelt Collection code of conduct:

No Being Human
They're pretty much identical to park district rules from what I can tell

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
They're pretty much identical to park district rules from what I can tell
Not quite. All of the following would be allowed in a Chicago park that are not allowed on this rooftop:

- smoking
- skateboards, roller blades, bicycles, running, unreasonable noise
- loitering or congregating
- shirts and shoes worn at all times

Maybe the biggest concern is the no loitering or groups over 4 policy. Isn't loitering one of the basic purposes of parks?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 11:03 PM

Closing at 9pm means I don't even know if I'd be allowed to walk through it to use the stairs to get home after seeing a movie in the evening. The rules seem anticipatory of there being a huge problem that hasn't yet been demonstrated to exist, and they're treating it like a private amenity of the shopping center rather than a neighborhood park, which is my understanding of what the requirement for the land's usage was.

It's a quaint little outdoor area, and I'm glad construction is over and RC can be accessed from the north again finally, but it seems like the neighborhood got shafted. And now McCaffery is out of the whole thing so there's nobody to answer for it.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:55 PM

^Oh right that was the other thing I was going to mention. 9am to 9pm hours? So people can't even go up there in the morning before work...or during the first 1-2 hours that school is in session immediately below? Chicago park district hours are 6am to 11pm.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 1:59 PM
you know where I'll be

^ et al. Yes, this thing is nothing like a Chicago public park. Nothing.

Brought to you by the ever-slippery duo of Dan McCaffery and Danny Solis..........

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 2:42 PM

I walked by Block 37 yesterday and could see through the windows that the Richard Sandoval food court still has a ways to go..When is that supposed to open? Also, any word on the movie theater? The last story I saw on that was from 2014.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:25 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Not really any new news in a while. I did notice a lot of materials in the movie theater space that were recently moved there, but not sure if it's for the theater or just staging for tower construction?

As far as I know, ~28,000 sq ft Latinicity still on track for opening this fall, and ~44,000 sq ft 11-screen AMC Cinema Suites still on track for opening Spring '16.........

Further, I recently noted that it seems they may be once again marketing the other 4th floor space, so perhaps the Dave and Buster's deal fell through? (no problem if that's the case, as I felt that was just a tad on the too-lowbrow side for Block 37......Also, the largest 3rd floor space - lining State Street except for the existing L+G Salon, is in lease......I think this is planned to be a bowling/entertainment/lounge/dining concept.....

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:57 PM

^ Interesting - thanks. I'll have to walk up to the 4th floor sometime and see what's going on. It would seem they're cutting it close for a Spring 2016 theater finish.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:05 PM
you know where I'll be

RC: McCaffery GONE!!!!

Our long national nightmare has ended. Crain's just reporting that PREI has closed on their acquisition of the apartments and retail at Roosevelt Collection, in addition to the adjacent high rise parcel zoned for 43 stories and 400 units......

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:10 PM

He's gone but his stink will remain.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 6:13 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

And like cat wee on a hardwood floor, the damage has been done.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Man, over 150 units in one small block plus all the other proposals near the California 'L' stop (Logan Square twin towers, Magellan 120 unit development, Mega Mall redevelopment, Congress Theater) is got to make the station's ridership increase dramatically. Plus, they all help contribute into the transit TIF fund surrounding the stations
The transit station TIF funds aren't available yet, and it wouldn't apply to the California station. Neither the Illinois House or the Senate have voted on it (track the bill). After the governor would sign the bill, the Chicago City Council would have to create complementary legislation.

The backstory, via Streetsblog, is that the City Council could create a TIF district around train stations or future train stations of the Forest Park Blue Line, 130th Red Line Extension, Belmont to Howard Red Line stations, and Union Station.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 8:56 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
And like cat wee on a hardwood floor, the damage has been done.

True.......which gets me thinking......I think that's what I'll be calling McCaffery for a little while: McCatPiss. Fitting....

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 9:04 PM

Maybe South Loop Neighbors will pursue legal remedies against the new owners in order to open the park up to the community like it was supposed to be, but I don't know if anyone's feeling that motivated to fight it and the alderman is already on board with it.

I try to hedge my frustration in optimism that the area will soon be completely transformed from how it looked 5 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 9:36 PM
Urbane observer

There's nothing they can ask to have enforced. The amended PD merely provides:
The open space must be clearly lit and not restrict public access from the hours between 9am to 9pm. Signage, as approved by the Department of Housing and Economic Development, shall be placed at all open space entries indicating the park is open to residents of the Planned Development and the general public, free of charge.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 9:43 PM
dream fast

7/28

Bike fly-over at Grand & LSD

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 9:44 PM

Ah. I mean I guess you could raise a stink about having signage at the ground level indicating there's a park up this mountain of stairs, but that's pretty meh.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:00 AM
TL;DR

I love that flyover design. Reminds me of a roller coaster, extremely sleek and dynamic.

I'm very glad they didn't go with a much heavier and clunkier design using I-beams...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development