HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 11:41 PM

Woodroffe/Richmond

Hi, I hope this is the right place to discuss this but is there any information on what the rebuilt Woodroffe/Richmond intersection will look like?

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 12:48 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeddlingMonke View Post
Hi, I hope this is the right place to discuss this but is there any information on what the rebuilt Woodroffe/Richmond intersection will look like?
Other than being put back as close to as it was before, I don't think there's anything special being planned for that intersection since it's not a station location. There will likely be improvements in pedestrian and bicycle crossing snd signalling to the latest standards.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 1:55 AM

Ah, okay. I'm mostly curious about:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
improvements in pedestrian and bicycle crossing snd signalling to the latest standards.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeddlingMonke View Post
Here's the plan, from Patrick McKay's Twitter. Follow the link below the image to view more of future Richmond.

https://twitter.com/PatrickTMcKay/st...C-iaz9n8sqAAAA

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's the plan, from Patrick McKay's Twitter. Follow the link below the image to view more of future Richmond.

https://twitter.com/PatrickTMcKay/st...C-iaz9n8sqAAAA
Much appreciated, thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:46 PM

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 3:11 AM
Busy Beaver

I’m actually pleasantly surprised at the progress they’ve made in the last 4 months along the Byron corridor. Most of the excavation is done and the concrete works are going in fast. I wonder if the mild winter helped, I hope they’re making up for some of the lost time.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 7:23 PM

First 10:30 is mostly ground level views of the project. After that, it's flyovers. Flyovers offer a glimpse of some ongoing apartment tower projects as well.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 29, 2023, 6:06 PM

They were playing with the rails today on the Moodie to Bayshore section. Don't know what that really means. Are they commencing to lay track or just checking things out.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 12:17 PM

I was walking the path beside Tunney's and got to wondering if it would be wise to open the western section in stages?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I was walking the path beside Tunney's and got to wondering if it would be wise to open the western section in stages?
The Scott Street trench will probably be the last stretch to be ready for prime time, so probably not. We don't want to have a bus bridge between two rail segments.

Other than Algonquin, Moodie and Bayshore, the only other station that could be used as a terminus is Lincoln Fields. Based on the overall progress though, it seems they'll probably have everything done around the same time.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
They were playing with the rails today on the Moodie to Bayshore section. Don't know what that really means. Are they commencing to lay track or just checking things out.
There's been a couple of Holland trucks there, so it looks like they're welding strings.

Rail arrives in lengths that can be shipped by truck, around 60' IIRC. Those are then welded into longer strings around 400' and dragged to where they're needed. From there, everything is put loosely into place and welded together for real.

Strings are usually created before the ties are down, when it's easy to drag them around.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 2:25 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
My suspicion is that they can't do that for the reason that it would mess up the Train-Bus transfer situation too much to gradually extend the train westward station-by-station or chunk-by-chunk.
Imperfect as it is, the transfer arrangement they've set up at Tunney's is the best they can do for the time being, and not likely feasible nor practical to try to move that transfer capacity along the line bit by bit.

The next station with that transfer capacity potential is probably Lincoln Fields?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 3:09 PM

I have been away in Muskoka and just got back. Surprised this has not been mentioned but the Tower Crane is up at Kitchissippi Station.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 5:07 PM

If it were possible to truck a train over to the Moodie LMSF, it might be possible to trouble-shoot the tracks and signaling in the western and southern legs before the tunnel segment was finished. Assuming that the Pinecrest Creek fly-over allowed the train to switch legs at Lincoln Fields. If they only had a short ‘connecting’ length to test, once the tunnel is complete, it might gain back some time. This would be done for test purposes only, and would not be for revenue service (which would cause unwanted additional transfers).

Of course, I don’t know if the Light Maintenance and Storage Facility (LMSF) at Moodie is too light to reassemble a train, or whether the tunnel segment is going to be the last section completed. This is just an idea that I am throwing out there to get some feed-back. There are probably some out there who know more than I do about the situation.

Alternatively, could short temporary track connections be made to the City-owned track that runs past the end of the Moodie LMSF and the VIA track beside the Belfast MSF so that a complete eLRT train could be towed between the two? Would a complete path be possible?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
I have been away in Muskoka and just got back. Surprised this has not been mentioned but the Tower Crane is up at Kitchissippi Station.
Yes, they just put it up yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:16 PM

Ah, that's what that crane is.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:44 PM

We've had our blinds closed for weeks because of constantly breaking a/c plus not being able to open the windows due to the smoke, so we only saw the crane when I read this post and went to the balcony to look!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 8:16 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
My suspicion is that they can't do that for the reason that it would mess up the Train-Bus transfer situation too much to gradually extend the train westward station-by-station or chunk-by-chunk.
Imperfect as it is, the transfer arrangement they've set up at Tunney's is the best they can do for the time being, and not likely feasible nor practical to try to move that transfer capacity along the line bit by bit.

The next station with that transfer capacity potential is probably Lincoln Fields?
I believe they're scheduled to close up the Parkway/Byron tunnel by the end of this year. Laying track inside can't be that complicated If by some miracle the section to Lincoln Fields can be open earlier than expected, the bus transfer situation there would be way better than the temporary s#!tshow at Tunney's.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 6:36 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation