HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:45 PM

^ I said that mainly because of the developer... it seems that we often get renderings from someone who has never built anything bigger than a single family home and the project falls apart. As compared to the proven developers where when they put out a rendering, you can take it to the bank that it will get built... for better or for worse

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:10 PM
surely you agree with me

just because they say they will finish it doesn't mean they will...we are in a whole new world for development.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

I got my hopes up there for a second that we were getting a new Remand Centre.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
just because they say they will finish it doesn't mean they will...we are in a whole new world for development.
Elaborate your thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't think that's actually supposed to be parking out front (which is probably what you're getting at..). It's like a fire lane or something.

There's no way the City approved public vehicle access to that area, since from the back lane it's not even 1 actual lane wide. Could they? There's also no landscaping, sidewalk protection. Nothing.
Is this worth reporting to 311? Will the city enforce anything? Or is it just a matter of "if it's built, then retroactively it's assumed to be fine"

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 2:44 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Elaborate your thoughts?
this is the most challenging time for development that i have seen in my entire career. Interest rates going up monthly is causing developers to refinance several times before projects can even get off the ground. Construction costs have risen 1% per month since the new year. Every week there's a new challenge. Everyone wants to build but so many are hitting roadblocks...now the looming recession has everyone scared.

A development like this, with a unique parking system and costly high-rise construction will be a challenge to say the least. It will be significantly more expensive today that it would have been had they not stopped construction two years ago.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 6:37 PM

Saw in the WFP that Adam Donnelly from Segovia has bought Close Company and will be reopening it as 'Petit Socco'. That's all great news, but got me wondering...

Does anyone know what's happening to the old Segovia location? It's a beautiful restaurant, great patio, really turnkey, I'm disappointed nothing's happened with it yet. I know it's a tough time to open an eat-in restaurant, but...

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 11:15 PM

606 Stradbrook

Basically done. There's still some fit-and-finish to be done on the exterior, but I am told that residents have moved in and it's mostly or entirely full.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2022, 11:17 PM

238 Wellington Crescent

I created my account here to post photos of piles being driven on this site. That was June of 2020. This is how far they've progressed since then. NB - the site is not dead. It has been consistently, but very infrequently, worked on.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Is this worth reporting to 311? Will the city enforce anything? Or is it just a matter of "if it's built, then retroactively it's assumed to be fine"
Interestingly enough, it appears the land that people are parking on is actually owned by the City. The land parcel that 257 Osborne is built on ends just north of the tree wells where the cement ends. The City seems to own the entire portion that's paved with asphalt.

When the old Money Mart building was expropriated and demolished in order to redo the intersection geometry, the entire parcel was opened as right-of-way of Pembina Hwy.

I can't find any record of the demolition being tendered by the City so it's hard to say exactly how it ended up as paved asphalt with no landscaping, fencing, or bollards.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Interestingly enough, it appears the land that people are parking on is actually owned by the City. The land parcel that 257 Osborne is built on ends just north of the tree wells where the cement ends. The City seems to own the entire portion that's paved with asphalt.

When the old Money Mart building was expropriated and demolished in order to redo the intersection geometry, the entire parcel was opened as right-of-way of Pembina Hwy.

I can't find any record of the demolition being tendered by the City so it's hard to say exactly how it ended up as paved asphalt with no landscaping, fencing, or bollards.

Demolition may have been a change order as part of Tender 386-2016 as that land would have been part of the paving project once the expropriation was complete.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 3:23 PM

There's a couple things going on. People are parking on the north side of the building. So probably out in one of the lots that were expropriated and are now just paved asphalt.

Then people are parking in the lane which is the triangle area to the west, which that blue piece is part of. This part looks to have been designed to allow for parking.

The area to the north is a dead zone with no planning foresight. It was just paved over.

I'm not sure where exactly the property lines are in relation to the building. But as was discussed, people are likely parking illegally but the City don't care.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:35 PM
What could go wrong?

I thought there was some type of below grade services that required the new setback. I don't recall it being requested by the developer, but I could be wrong.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 12:44 AM

slow but steady at the old zoo site:

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 3:20 PM
What could go wrong?

It is very slow, but it is also a fairly large site consisting of two buildings (1 foundation).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 6:19 PM

A third building is allegedly to follow across the street once this one is wrapped, assumedly startup based on pace of uptake too I’m sure.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
A third building is allegedly to follow across the street once this one is wrapped, assumedly startup based on pace of uptake too I’m sure.
Are you talking about the parking lot to the south across the street ? I cannot see anything happening to the west as those are a bunch of historical buildings and full of businesses.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 5:46 PM

South yes

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It is very slow, but it is also a fairly large site consisting of two buildings (1 foundation).
I know of 1 building on Osborne and 2 behind

Old Posted Aug 8, 2022, 4:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Layout

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan