HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 3:23 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
We have level crossings for trains in this city??

I'm only half-kidding, too. In my 9 years here I think I've been stuck waiting for a train once, and that was off 9th Ave at the one crossing that isn't an underpass. For a city that was (is?) a rail hub, I'm astounded at how few trains I actually see - and how I virtually never get stuck because of them.

Contrast this to other Canadian rail centres where it's not uncommon to be stuck waiting for a train once a week.
Crossings other than sidings (and ignoring roads with very light traffic)

CP Mainline W-E:
32nd Ave NW (in Bowness)
11th St SW (downtown)
8th St SE (inglewood)
Glenmore Trail SE
84th Street SE (in Shepard)

32nd Ave in Bowness isn't really a problem I suspect, if there was ever a backup, you can drive to Bowness Road.

11th St will eventually get an underpass, I suspect.

8th Street likely will never get anything, it would be too complicated to build anything and cost too much for the value. However, a potential high speed train line may require full grade separation, in which case, it wouldn't be the city paying for it.

Glenmore Trail will be raised over the line in the next decade or so.

84th Street won't be a problem once Stoney Trail opens. Traffic will be low. Someday, with development growth, may get an overpass, but that's decades away.

CP Mainline N - Downtown:
50 Ave NE
41st Ave NE
17th Ave SE
15th St SE

None of these will ever have anything done, and are not an issue, except for if a high speed line goes in and requires full grade separation. In that case, it won't be the city paying for grade separations. A couple of those may just be blocked off in that case.

CP Mainline Downtown - S:
11th St SE
Dartmouth Rd/Highfield Rd/26th Ave Traffic Circle
39th Ave SE
42nd Ave SE
50th Ave SE
58th Ave SE
61st Ave SE

Heritage Dr SW
James Kckevitt Rd SW
162nd Ave SW
Shawville Gate SW

I don't think there's enough traffic on this line to make any of these high priority. Overpasses will happen with LRT track overpasses. 39th Ave crossing may cease to exist if and when 39th Ave LRT station blocks off the road. Heritage Drive will get an overpass when Heritage/Macleod Trail interchange goes in.

CN Mainline:
84th Street NE
68th Street SE
17th Ave SE
52nd Street SE
36th Street SE
Peigan Trail SE
50th Ave SE
Barlow Trail SE

The new CN intermodal yard by Balzac essentially turns all of this into a low traffic line. The city has thought about building an underpass under the Barlow crossing in the past, but we are glad we didn't spend that money now.

CN line along 50th Ave:
52nd Street SE
84th Street SE

Very low traffic on this line. However, a month or two ago, I did actually come up to a train that was crossing 84th Street on this line. It was 2 cars long.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 1:14 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Restricting movement for a couple hours is a huge cost to the railways through Calgary, especially if we are talking about the CP mainline. It is at close to maximum capacity (they recently or are currently spending millions on a debottlenecking project to add capacity for three more trains a day) so if the city had the power it would really hurt the railway.

It may seem annoying at time, but there is a reason railways have the powers they do.
What I want is an app I can check to tell me when a train is going to be at those crossings. Nothing more annoying than going up Barlow in the middle of the day and get stuck waiting because a train is at 50th. There are ways around, IF you know in advance that a train is going to be there. The city WAS trying an advance warning system - I'm guessing it didn't pan out as the signs eventually were taken away (and would not have been that useful anyways).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:37 PM

Macleod Trail Preliminary Design Concepts

Not sure if this is new or not since it has a date on it of June 14th on the file name but I don't remember seeing it before and it was on the news this morning.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...rds_June14.pdf

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:44 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
Not sure if this is new or not since it has a date on it of June 14th on the file name but I don't remember seeing it before and it was on the news this morning.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...rds_June14.pdf
I'm of two minds with this one, if they fully implement the proposed boulevards it will create a great corridor, if they do only part of it (i.e. attempt to stick a bike lane without other improvements) it will be a disaster.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Realtor

I didn't realise this was such a big project.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:26 AM
not a NIMBY

We have bike boxes in Calgary? Who knew?
Isn't the average Calgary Escalade driver too dumb to avoid stopping in a bike box?

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/34...ar-university/

I must have driven over the one in Calgary yesterday without noticing it. No I don't drive an Escalade.

Last edited by Jimby; Aug 24, 2012 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
I didn't realise this was such a big project.

Video Link
wow i remember back in the late 80's early 90's when it was just single lane each way and quite the bridge and hill to get over the train tracks , i went that way to get to race city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:00 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
We have bike boxes in Calgary? Who knew?
Isn't the average Calgary Escalade driver too dumb to avoid stopping in a bike box?

http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/34...ar-university/

I must have driven over the one in Calgary yesterday without noticing it. No I don't drive an Escalade.
Yup, on 10th Steet

Link

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
We have level crossings for trains in this city??

I'm only half-kidding, too. In my 9 years here I think I've been stuck waiting for a train once, and that was off 9th Ave at the one crossing that isn't an underpass. For a city that was (is?) a rail hub, I'm astounded at how few trains I actually see - and how I virtually never get stuck because of them.

Contrast this to other Canadian rail centres where it's not uncommon to be stuck waiting for a train once a week.
You probably don't cross 9th ave very often. Trains for me are almost a daily occurrence. For the most part, I do have work arounds, but there are times, that if the train is long enough and it can cross 26th ave and 11th st at the same time, I'm basically fucked.

My understanding is that the railroads own the rail crossings and only let us drive over them as a courtesy. Learned about this when the neighbourhood got their collective panties knotted up over trains on 9th ave and 8th st. SE. CP basically said if you don't like the wait, we will close off the road.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:32 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
You probably don't cross 9th ave very often. Trains for me are almost a daily occurrence. For the most part, I do have work arounds, but there are times, that if the train is long enough and it can cross 26th ave and 11th st at the same time, I'm basically fucked.

My understanding is that the railroads own the rail crossings and only let us drive over them as a courtesy. Learned about this when the neighbourhood got their collective panties knotted up over trains on 9th ave and 8th st. SE. CP basically said if you don't like the wait, we will close off the road.
Railroads have a tremendous amount of power.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 4:25 PM
Closed account

Does anyone know the minimum width of an urban, 2-lane road (not parking or other lanes)? I don't have access to the entire "Geometric design guide for Canadian roads"document, which I suspect will have the answer.

Does the City conform to this guideline, or do they have another standard for the absolute minimum road widths?

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Does anyone know the minimum width of an urban, 2-lane road (not parking or other lanes)? I don't have access to the entire "Geometric design guide for Canadian roads"document, which I suspect will have the answer.

Does the City conform to this guideline, or do they have another standard for the absolute minimum road widths?

Thanks!
This should be what you are looking for:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Docume...icing-2012.pdf

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:44 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
This should be what you are looking for:
http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Docume...icing-2012.pdf
The city is currently redoing their standards for all types of roads. The project is called the Complete Streets Guidelines. The Subdivision Servicing Guidelines I believe should reflect some, if not all of these updates.

The minimum width of a road will depend on its classification (residential, arterial, industrial arterial etc) and of course design speed. I believe the minimum is 3.3m width per lane on non-transit residential roads, 3.7m on primary goods movement roads.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:19 PM
Closed account

That's great, thank you both!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:17 PM
Construction Enthusiast

The new lanes of Metis trail between 64th Ave and 80th Ave are now open. Currently, they have routed all of the traffic onto the new lanes while they redo some patches of the old lanes.

Part of the same project, the twinning of 80th Ave is complete between Metis trail and 52nd Street.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 4:56 PM
Closed account

Thanks for putting me onto the Complete Streets guide, and now I have a few questions, if anyone can help me.

In reading the document, it shows that most roads have a minimum travel-lane width of 3.5m, but those cross sections also show at least one parking lane. Does anyone know if a Local Connector can legally have a total width of just 7m (2x3.5m, no parking at all), or if a road like that must have a minimum standard of total pavement width in addition to individual lane requirements?

I am asking because there have been some complaints about a retrofit road in my community. I like to have proof of everything that's being discussed and not rely on someone's opinion, so I wanted to be able to see what the City says is legally acceptable for its roads. The new road is ugly for sure, but the complaints are about technical standards, so that's what i wanted to see about.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 10:04 PM

Any chance Crowchild Trail north will be upgraded and free flowing in our lifetimes?

I think the mayor mentioned something about challenges on Crowchild during his campaign, but I don't think city council is even thinking about it yet. (I say yet, but I believe someone posted plans on this site at one time showing plans from the 1970's). I guess it's like the plans for 16th by COP - which go ignored year after year. I heard they were going to start that next year - but to me it's like the SW ring-road. I won't believe it until I see shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 6:54 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

car2go

I am blown away by how awesome this service is. It has saved me money over the cost of driving a short distance to downtown during the day (and paying downtown parking rates). I can potentially see myself not needing to own a car and relying solely on car2go for transportation needs.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 8:32 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I am blown away by how awesome this service is. It has saved me money over the cost of driving a short distance to downtown during the day (and paying downtown parking rates). I can potentially see myself not needing to own a car and relying solely on car2go for transportation needs.
Wow, I've found lately I can't find a car2go in my neighbourhood when I 'd like to use one. They seem to cluster around MRU, University of Calgary, central business district and Chinook Centre during the daytime.

I found the service more useful when they were evenly dispersed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Any chance Crowchild Trail north will be upgraded and free flowing in our lifetimes?

I think the mayor mentioned something about challenges on Crowchild during his campaign, but I don't think city council is even thinking about it yet. (I say yet, but I believe someone posted plans on this site at one time showing plans from the 1970's). I guess it's like the plans for 16th by COP - which go ignored year after year. I heard they were going to start that next year - but to me it's like the SW ring-road. I won't believe it until I see shovels in the ground.
Some earlier discussions here and here about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure