HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 7:14 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The Gottingen Staples site is for sale. Previously owned by Southwest.

2003 Gottingen Street - CBRE
This makes me wonder what Southwest will focus on next after Cunard. The former Motherhouse site?

This is good timing to develop this area before Cogswell opens up. It's impressive how much construction is happening around this block. It looks like there's also infill potential on the Seven Bays site (front and back parking lot).

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This makes me wonder what Southwest will focus on next after Cunard. The former Motherhouse site?
Ahh that would make sense why they're selling this property. Seton Ridge (as its called on their website) is by far the biggest property they have ever developed, so it would make sense to focus all their resources there. As you mentioned this site really should be completed in the same timeframe as Cogswell. Maybe it just didn't line up with their plans. Nonetheless, I'm surprised they will let this go, its such a prominent corner.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The former Need's Convenience at 182 Victoria Road, Dartmouth is being demolished. It's a 10'500 sq ft lot with frontage on Victoria and Frances Streets with corridor zoning. Could be a nice spot for mid-rise residential infill.
Well, I dunno how "nice" a spot it would be for residential. Victoria Rd traffic is very heavy as the main collector that the Woodland/118 highway dumps onto and as the main connection between the two harbor bridges. Lots of noise and really not the best location from a number of standpoints. Might be better as a retail site of some sort.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 12:21 PM

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, I dunno how "nice" a spot it would be for residential. Victoria Rd traffic is very heavy as the main collector that the Woodland/118 highway dumps onto and as the main connection between the two harbor bridges. Lots of noise and really not the best location from a number of standpoints. Might be better as a retail site of some sort.
IMHO, it's no worse than those numerous tall buildings to be built around the entrance to the Macdonald Bridge.

That said, a tall apartment building would look really out of place on that Victoria Road lot...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 1:43 PM

Council approved $11 million from the Federal Rapid Housing Fund for an affordable housing development in the empty lot next to Hope Cottage on Brunswick.

CBC has the story along with the following rendering:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 5:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is the council report. It also has a list of affordable projects: https://cdn.halifax.ca/sites/default...rc1519pres.pdf

These are all good but they're small and won't have much impact on the housing market as a whole.

Impossible to know how it will turn out but I don't mind this kind of style for Brunswick Street. It's got better and worse examples. The original Brickyard townhouses are so-so but the small Brickyard Health building is decent. Brunswick could eventually be built up into something resembling a heritage district. I wonder if the St. Patrick's parking would ever be redeveloped?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 6:57 PM
Salty Town

Given that there are such limited sites available for affordable housing, why not maximize what already exists. It would seem that an affordable narrow tower could fit in Mulgrave Park on the the corner of Barrington & Richmond. Funding should be shared by HRM, Provincial & Federal Gov.

Barrington & Richmond St.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6678...7i16384!8i8192

Richmond St.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6674...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by Empire; Mar 8, 2023 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 10:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this has been posted before but I was looking up some Dartmouth developments and it turns out a lot of the more eclectic smaller scale ones can be traced back to these developers:

https://sidewalkred.ca/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 11:02 PM

Thanks for that. I like what they are doing there.

I am familiar with pretty much all of those buildings in the DT Dartmouth area, and it's really nice to see them get a new lease on life that retains some of the old streetscape of the DT with new purposes that are keeping with the times.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:57 AM

I can't recall ever seeing this proposal for the former St Pat's High School site on here: https://www.lydonlynch.ca/projects/r...tpats-crossing

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
I can't recall ever seeing this proposal for the former St Pat's High School site on here: https://www.lydonlynch.ca/projects/r...tpats-crossing
My understanding is this project is currently dead, as zoning does not permit for such high towers. IIRC, city came back to the developer and stated you need to build much lower (in accordance with zoning) and the developer backed off.

The site is an eye sore.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 2:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

How much lower? There are nearby towers in the 20 storey range, and Windsor Street and Quinpool are main traffic arteries. One would think that this proposal would be ideal for this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
My understanding is this project is currently dead, as zoning does not permit for such high towers. IIRC, city came back to the developer and stated you need to build much lower (in accordance with zoning) and the developer backed off.

The site is an eye sore.
No, that's the other St. Pat's.

This site has a 90-metre limit, so this development should be fine. Not sure what the status is though.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 5:13 PM

Damn, that looks incredible. I drove past just yesterday and gawked at the fact there's still an overgrown field in the middle of the city during a housing crisis. According to the website, it's 9, 11, 29, & 29 storeys which should just be a bit over the 90m limit. Regardless, I'm sure the NIMBYs are sharpening their pitchforks for this one already.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 6:42 PM

It would certainly make Quinpool Tower and its appurtenant commercial development neighbors look cheesy (cheesier?) and hopelessly dated.

Come to think of it, it's looked that way for more than 40 years now.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
It would certainly make Quinpool Tower and its appurtenant commercial development neighbors look cheesy (cheesier?) and hopelessly dated.

Yup, but Killum is gonna Killum.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post

I used to live in Quingate Place (the condo development in behind) 38 years ago (close to 40). The tower looked dated even back then...........

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I used to live in Quingate Place (the condo development in behind) 38 years ago (close to 40). The tower looked dated even back then...........
And I lived on Quinpool Court. Know the area intimately.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:02 AM

Nothing to see here - misplaced post deleted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth