HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

"Football" the name is actually shared by a number of different ball sports that are split up into different codes: association football, Canadian football, American football, Australian football, Gaelic football, rugby league football, rugby union football, etc.

None of these sports is the "real football", as no such thing exists.

It's like saying malbec is the only "real red wine" or camembert is the only "real cheese".

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:49 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Dropped to 2360 for last nights game, but mid week and 8pm start is always a tougher draw
Yeah, I guess the 8pm start was due to the eastern ‘market’.

Next home game for PFC is a Saturday @12:30 pm. So we’ll see what kind of crowd they get.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"Football" the name is actually shared by a number of different ball sports that are split up into different codes: association football, Canadian football, American football, Australian football, Gaelic football, rugby league football, rugby union football, etc.

None of these sports is the "real football", as no such thing exists.

It's like saying malbec is the only "real red wine" or camembert is the only "real cheese".
Honestly I have no respect for North American soccer fans. It's such a cheap knock off of Europe. I went to a whitecaps game when i was in Vancouver just to check out the Reno's on BC place (free tickets) And it was a bunch of over weight white dudes saying things like "Oh that was a proper goal" while wearing a scarf, desperately trying to get people to sing with them. It's pathetic. If Soccer fans in NA could just be a little bit more genuine about it, I would try and buy in. it's a great game but why can't we put our north American twist on it. Soccer field instead of pitch, Stadium instead of grounds, Goal tender in stead of Goal keeper. Do we really have to copy everything they do in the UK to feel like a legitimate league? I was on a another thread on reddit and people were trashing north american fans and the stolen traditions, TFC is apparently one of the worst for it. And using slang from Europe was the biggest complaint. Honestly when he said "Proper goal" i just about threw up in my mouth.

I respect the passion but I really think it's an act. They just wanna feel part of something and North American sports can be hard to find a place for an outcast. They get to dress up and sing for a game they have no passion for because its cheap and easy to follow. It's not a game fueled by testosterone like hockey, football or basketball. It's of bunch of skinny guys with great cardio that's easy to follow and I think thats why this new generation of inner city feminine men can relate to it.

Call me old fascist but i think if you resort to soccer to feel connected to something. Its because your parents gave you a 8th place trophy in track and field. And I really believe the average North american soccer fan would say the exact opposite about me. I'm Less sophisticated, They are Morally superior to me. ect

Again this is only for NA soccer fans. Europe is different. That's a spectacle, real passion and their own traditions.

Hockey in Russia, fans whistle instead of cheer. Everything is different in the Swedish elite leagues. Baseball in japan and china has almost no similarity to baseball in NA. But soccer fans have to fabricate support based on another continents traditions. It's lame

Last edited by Oilkountry; May 3, 2019 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:49 PM

There are a lot of posers among MLS "fans" that is for sure. TFC fans might be most guilty of this. It was hilarious watching them in their post game celebrations copying the drum beat/hand clapping rhythm popularized by the Icelandic folks during their run to the Euro Cup. Not one ounce of originality.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
There are a lot of posers among MLS "fans" that is for sure. TFC fans might be most guilty of this. It was hilarious watching them in their post game celebrations copying the drum beat/hand clapping rhythm popularized by the Icelandic folks during their run to the Euro Cup. Not one ounce of originality.
Exactly my point. It's so forced. I hate seeing the smoke bombs and big canvas paintings in the stands and crap it just makes me role my eyes. Let the traditions happen naturally over 2 decades instead of claiming another teams as your own

The "skoll" thing is becoming over used in NA as it is. The NFL Vikings and NHL hurricanes are trying to capitalize on it but this is a corporate push vs the fans.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Honestly I have no respect for North American soccer fans. It's such a cheap knock off of Europe. I respect the passion but I really think it's an act. They just wanna feel part of something and North American sports can be hard to find a place for an outcast. They get to dress up and sing for a game they have no passion for because its cheap and easy to follow. It's not a game fueled by testosterone like hockey, football or basketball. It's of bunch of skinny guys with great cardio that's easy to follow and I think that's why this new generation of inner city feminine men can relate to it.

Call me old fascist but i think if you resort to soccer to feel connected to something. Its because your parents gave you a 8th place trophy in track and field. And I really believe the average North american soccer fan would say the exact opposite about me. I'm Less sophisticated, They are Morally superior to me. Etc

But soccer fans have to fabricate support based on another continents traditions. It's lame
Wow, have you been taking a swig of the ol truth serum

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 3:17 AM

Nothing irks me more than checks notes people having fun watching their favourite sport

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 3:45 AM
The New Republic

I have no issue with soccer but do find it contrived, lame, not to mention weird watching Canadian/US soccer fans ape behaviour they see in Europe, latin America, etc. Why is it that this is the only sport where fans take direction from overseas about how to behave and celebrate in the stands? Did they not know how instinctually? It's like they read a manual or studied a Euro 'How to watch soccer' video.

Last edited by isaidso; May 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I have no issue with soccer but do find it contrived, lame, not to mention weird watching Canadian/US soccer fans ape behaviour they see in Europe, latin America, etc. Why is it that this is the only sport where fans take direction from overseas about how to behave and celebrate in the stands? Did they not know how instinctually? It's like they read a manual or studied a Euro 'How to watch soccer' video.
What would you rather they do? Chant "go (insert team name) go" and stare at their phones half the the game like most North American sports fans? Yay...

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:14 PM

soccer games are truly boring to just sit through to watch so I don’t blame the fans for chanting and singing and jumping and clapping all in unison at soccer game. That is what is part of the entertainment package with soccer. People don’t attend for the game, they attend for the manufactured entertainment. Personally I would like to attend to experience it one day.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 3:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Honestly I have no respect for North American soccer fans. It's such a cheap knock off of Europe. I went to a whitecaps game when i was in Vancouver just to check out the Reno's on BC place (free tickets) And it was a bunch of over weight white dudes saying things like "Oh that was a proper goal" while wearing a scarf, desperately trying to get people to sing with them. It's pathetic. If Soccer fans in NA could just be a little bit more genuine about it, I would try and buy in. it's a great game but why can't we put our north American twist on it. Soccer field instead of pitch, Stadium instead of grounds, Goal tender in stead of Goal keeper. Do we really have to copy everything they do in the UK to feel like a legitimate league? I was on a another thread on reddit and people were trashing north american fans and the stolen traditions, TFC is apparently one of the worst for it. And using slang from Europe was the biggest complaint. Honestly when he said "Proper goal" i just about threw up in my mouth.

I respect the passion but I really think it's an act. They just wanna feel part of something and North American sports can be hard to find a place for an outcast. They get to dress up and sing for a game they have no passion for because its cheap and easy to follow. It's not a game fueled by testosterone like hockey, football or basketball. It's of bunch of skinny guys with great cardio that's easy to follow and I think thats why this new generation of inner city feminine men can relate to it.
To summarize, soccer as experienced at a Whitecaps game is bad because:

- There are too many white men in the crowd
- They are too fat
- They are too feminine
- They use European terms too much
- Some of them wear scarves

This looks more like your own list of idiosyncratic psychological triggers than a coherent criticism of North American soccer.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Judging from this picture posted by q12, there were fat white men in attendance at the Halifax game too.

As an overweight, older, heterosexual white male (Protestant to boot), and a unilingual Anglophone who is both educated and financially well off, I must admit to feeling particularly targeted and looked down upon by today's society. Maybe I should get tickets to the next Premier League game in Halifax so I can fit in...........

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 6:31 PM
Ham-burgher

^^ At least those two in the left foreground are not wearing scarves. Imagine the horror!

Quote:
Call me old fascist but...
Unless that was intentional it's one of the most apropos typos I've seen in a long time. How dare these fans freely express themselves in their own chosen way!

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 8:57 PM

Half the TFC crowd is likely from the "old country" and came by their "fans in the stands antics" naturally. I would be nice if a third of the teams weren't named FC (and another CF and 2 SC's thrown in) though.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Half the TFC crowd is likely from the "old country" and came by their "fans in the stands antics" naturally. I would be nice if a third of the teams weren't named FC (and another CF and 2 SC's thrown in) though.
That's the one that really annoys me. I really enjoy the atmosphere when watching soccer, but come on. The game is called soccer in Canada. I don't see why teams opt for FC except that it's what everyone else does.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 4:41 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Listen guys,

I think most of these triggers of TFC or soccer fans from the past were due to insults being thrown around from both sides. I for one was far from an innocent spectator. From my end I'd like to sincerely apologize to any of you who may have been offended by it and they do not reflect my current thinking. I feel particularly bad about my charecterization based on appearance, a very superficial and inappropriate lowball thing to say. We all have great leagues now and I hope we're also more mature people, can we let by gones be by gones? *offering hand of friendship*

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 12:25 PM
ハルウララ

If we could divert this thread back towards stadiums that would be great.

We have a thread on Sports in Canadian Culture if someone feels the need to continue this conversation. Thanks.

Last edited by JHikka; May 6, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Listen guys,

I think most of these triggers of TFC or soccer fans from the past were due to insults being thrown around from both sides. I for one was far from an innocent spectator. From my end I'd like to sincerely apologize to any of you who may have been offended by it and they do not reflect my current thinking. I feel particularly bad about my charecterization based on appearance, a very superficial and inappropriate lowball thing to say. We all have great leagues now and I hope we're also more mature people, can we let by gones be by gones? *offering hand of friendship*
I'll gladly accept the hand of friendship when a prominent poster here stops his anti CFL pro MLS agenda. I honestly don't mean to demean your post and hope it is sincere but it's strange when just a few posts bitch about soccer, things seem to get shutdown in a hurry. If that certain poster stops raining on the CFL parade, as I could with MLS or CPL (and usually choose not to) all will be happy in skyscraperland. Peace!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:34 PM

Just thinking about what a great decade we had in stadium building in Canada. Right priced, right sized and all seemingly successful without any major Big O horror stories.

So what's left? A stadium idea in Halifax, that now seems to make more logical sense but in a place where the idea has trouble taking hold and also how big a refurbishment will the Big O in Montreal receive? Will something take shape in Calgary anytime soon? Little news on those fronts so far, stay tuned.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:21 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I'll gladly accept the hand of friendship when a prominent poster here stops his anti CFL pro MLS agenda. I honestly don't mean to demean your post and hope it is sincere but it's strange when just a few posts bitch about soccer, things seem to get shutdown in a hurry. If that certain poster stops raining on the CFL parade, as I could with MLS or CPL (and usually choose not to) all will be happy in skyscraperland. Peace!
Yes, I will not engage in any hating regardless of what is posted. Also, this was presented without any external compulsion, sincerely initiated from within!

I have no hate in my heart for you or anyone else. Have to agree though, the level of stadium construction both in scope and polish is truly mind-blowing, Canada has really come onto its own this past decade and it has been amazing to witness. I really look forward to see what the next few years has to bring. The CPL should bring added investment (already talk about a 15,000 seat stadium in the next 5 years for York 9 FC), and perhaps other smaller stadiums for the new franchises (8 more before the 2026 World Cup). Most CFL stadiums are already top of the line so Calgary and Edmonton should hold some surprises, lots to look forward to.

P.S. I even changed my signature temporarily out of respect

Last edited by mistercorporate; May 6, 2019 at 8:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada