HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:05 PM

OK, so that's more like it.

Although yeah, with all of the development that the RM of Macdonald is trying to promote along McGillivray you'd think there would be some urgency to twin it at least as far as Loudoun Road to start.

Sidenote: I just googled the RM of Macdonald and apparently it is not included in Winnipeg's CMA count which is weird considering that Oak Bluff and La Salle are basically full-fledged commuter towns, not to mention all of the people who do everything in Winnipeg but happen to have an acreage just outside the Perimeter. The northeastern corner of Macdonald is basically an extension of Winnipeg at this point.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
OK, so that's more like it.

Although yeah, with all of the development that the RM of Macdonald is trying to promote along McGillivray you'd think there would be some urgency to twin it at least as far as Loudoun Road to start.

Sidenote: I just googled the RM of Macdonald and apparently it is not included in Winnipeg's CMA count which is weird considering that Oak Bluff and La Salle are basically full-fledged commuter towns, not to mention all of the people who do everything in Winnipeg but happen to have an acreage just outside the Perimeter. The northeastern corner of Macdonald is basically an extension of Winnipeg at this point.
There is a tender out to upgrade the intersection on McGillivray and South Landing Business Park with left-turn lanes and such. That stretch of road is a shit show, but if you twin it, it only accommodates more development.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There is a tender out to upgrade the intersection on McGillivray and South Landing Business Park with left-turn lanes and such. That stretch of road is a shit show, but if you twin it, it only accommodates more development.
Well yeah, from a Winnipeg standpoint I'm not thrilled about it. But Macdonald is going to make it happen anyway (understandably so), so they might as well upgrade the infrastructure to make it less death-trappy. That 2 lane stretch of McGillivray is still built to 1970s standards when that was a farm area, in spite of all of the development that has happened around there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't even think the bridge is twinned. It's looks like a 3 lane bridge.
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100...s/segment2.pdf

You're right, see page 3. Each way goes from one lane and a left turn lane gets added as you approach the intersections on either side of the bridge.

I'm assuming the province would stick with the interim design for this like they are for St Marys. I wonder how far twinning PTH 3 is on the horizon for the province, that road could use it and pairing it with this project would make sense, although maybe not make cents for our cost cutting government.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:24 PM

The Province is actually going with a scaled down initial version at St. Mary's. This one at McGillivray is only a slight upgrade over the most basic diamond. With the turn lanes instead of just 2 lanes straight through.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:45 PM

Old guy yelling at clouds moment - that north arrow on the plan posted by Biff isn't remotely close to being accurate. North is not vertical in that plan.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 4:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Scaled down or not, I am super happy with anything that grade separates the Perimeter from any cross road/highway. Diamonds for everyone as far as I'm concerned.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:59 PM

Very happy this is the intended plan.

Does anyone know if the CEMR rail overpass at the north end is included with this work? I assume (hope) it is.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, from a Winnipeg standpoint I'm not thrilled about it. But Macdonald is going to make it happen anyway (understandably so), so they might as well upgrade the infrastructure to make it less death-trappy. That 2 lane stretch of McGillivray is still built to 1970s standards when that was a farm area, in spite of all of the development that has happened around there.
I feel this bit doesn't get enough attention. It's ok to acknowledge that there's no funding available 'right now' but at some point Bishop will run west and turn north to meet William Clement Parkway. The logical place for that to happen will be at this location. Is the city just going to abandon the Inner Ring Road plan in the south-west or is someone at the city actually working to facilitate that future development?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
I would be ok with it being twinned in the area of contiguous development. Even twinning to McCreary rd would remove most of the heavy danger.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:31 PM

Took a drive on the south perimeter last night and noticed the concrete median barrier construction just stopped before crossing the river towards st Mary’s. Does that mean they might start widening the lanes toward st Mary’s for the interchange? It says on Manitoba 511 that the construction of the barrier is from waverly to st Mary’s. It makes me think they are going to start median widening and separating of the road on the east side of the red river bridge!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Actually, the RM of Macdonald is part of the Winnipeg CMA:

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...GC=602&TOPIC=1

Unrelated, it appears that the next version of the Winnipeg CMA will add Niverville:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...019002-eng.htm

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:47 AM

^ Thank you... looks like Wikipedia is out of date! It seemed odd to me that Macdonald wouldn't be a part of the Winnipeg CMA... it might have made sense 30 years ago, but not really now.

Adding Niverville will be a 5,000+ bump to the Winnipeg CMA on its own.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:06 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Will highway 2 be combined with the new highway 3 interchange and eliminate another intersection on PH 100 ?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Will highway 2 be combined with the new highway 3 interchange and eliminate another intersection on PH 100 ?
That would seem like the smart thing to do...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:07 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
That would seem like the smart thing to do...
If not, someone can just go and drop some concrete blocks on PTH-2 right before PTH-100.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:09 PM

Hwy 2 access is removed from 100. It will just connect into the service road now.

Functional design is here: https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100...s/segment2.pdf

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:38 PM

Highway 2 is combined with the highway 3 at the new roundabout. Then from the roundabout the 2/3 combined highway leads onto the new McGillivary/PTH100 interchange.

Yes, this will eliminate another intersection on PH 100 where hwy 2 and PTH100 meet.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 7:40 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Glad to hear it - thanks.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 4:46 PM

Winnipeg Metro Region info:
https://winnipegmetroregion.ca/index.php/about-us-top

Most of the surrounding RM's and towns are collaborating on planning and processes. Which is great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan