HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:42 PM

It’s a good-looking development

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:19 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
It’s a good-looking development
Elevation looks Good.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:23 PM

It also shows Ventura isn't unable to produce nice buildings, they just know where they can get away with it and where they can't. Even though I know lots hate it, I like Village Junction because they injected some fun and colour into a design done on the cheap, but their two buildings on River look... quite bad.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:42 PM

^ I was just thinking that this morning as I passed by there... between the ugly community centre building festooned with small, ugly triangular windows and now the rather drab looking squat apartment building by Ventura going up next door, River and Donald is becoming a pretty ugly looking corner. The bunker-like Winter Club across the street certainly doesn't help.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:46 PM
the first stamp is free

I am a little concerned about that wood siding. If it ends up looking like what that newish condo/apartment on Wellington looks like after a year... yuck (its the one with the now grey patchy might be knotty pine type siding).

This one

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 1:55 PM

250 Portage Ave is for sale $3.9mil, not to crap on the downtown, but i really think the days of medical clinics or retail in these location is limited. perhaps a small gov't office or law firm?

interesting "the superstructure design will allow the addition of 4 or 5 floors of residential/office use without any structural enhancements"

http://www.winnipegrealestatenews.co...Number=1802287

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
250 Portage Ave is for sale $3.9mil, not to crap on the downtown, but i really think the days of medical clinics or retail in these location is limited. perhaps a small gov't office or law firm?

interesting "the superstructure design will allow the addition of 4 or 5 floors of residential/office use without any structural enhancements"

http://www.winnipegrealestatenews.co...Number=1802287

Man if I had about 3.9 million extra dollars lying around and a higher tolerance for risk that building would be fun to develop. If it's true about being designed for an extra four or five floors I can imagine there being a relatively decent business plan to make a go of it and make a statement with that corner. Not sure how architecturally loved the building is in these circles but I personally really really like it and think it would be a fantastic base for a taller building with great scale for the location.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:14 PM

^ Well, for what it's worth there is specialty retail in that building right now (jeweller), and a dental clinic is opening up next door.

But that said, I think that building is a beautiful piece of 60s modernist design, and would be best suited towards a financial company or professional services firm that could occupy the entire space. For example, if a Chinese bank were to establish a branch here (such as ICBC or BOC), that would be a perfect place for it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:51 PM

^It's a nice looking building. I believe it's currently owned by the Gupta family and was at one time their eye clinic. Would be nice to see it put to good use, or possibly redeveloped. Such a prominent downtown location.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Man if I had about 3.9 million extra dollars lying around and a higher tolerance for risk that building would be fun to develop. If it's true about being designed for an extra four or five floors I can imagine there being a relatively decent business plan to make a go of it and make a statement with that corner. Not sure how architecturally loved the building is in these circles but I personally really really like it and think it would be a fantastic base for a taller building with great scale for the location.
I've always loved that building, they just completely let it go though. All of the granite on the side ledges is broken or missing, and that decal sign for the old jewellery store is horrific. Tons of potential for this one though, it's a beautiful building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Well, for what it's worth there is specialty retail in that building right now (jeweller), and a dental clinic is opening up next door.

But that said, I think that building is a beautiful piece of 60s modernist design, and would be best suited towards a financial company or professional services firm that could occupy the entire space. For example, if a Chinese bank were to establish a branch here (such as ICBC or BOC), that would be a perfect place for it.
The jewellery store closed early last year.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I've always loved that building, they just completely let it go though. All of the granite on the side ledges is broken or missing, and that decal sign for the old jewellery store is horrific. Tons of potential for this one though, it's a beautiful building.
Yeah, I noticed that it hasn't been properly maintained. A side effect of being owned by a small local businessperson. It's the sort of thing that an institutional landlord would fix without a second thought. That's why I hope it doesn't end up in the hands of another small-time local owner.

Quote:
The jewellery store closed early last year.
Oh, I didn't realize that. I always meant to drop in there but I never did... I guess I'm part of the problem

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 2:00 PM

the downtown dog park (Boneycastly Park) is a great thing! I'm now a puppy owner and went there last Saturday PM and over the course of an hour met 5-6 people with their dogs, then Tuesday around supper, met another 4-5 people with the their dogs. I live in Norwood Flats (1.5 km walk) but a few of them told me they live in nearby buildings. I wasn't aware so many apartment buildings allowed dogs (and not little ones, border collie, lab cross). Either way, great job Winnipeg, can't wait for warmer weather and even more visits to it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the downtown dog park (Boneycastly Park) is a great thing! I'm now a puppy owner and went there last Saturday PM and over the course of an hour met 5-6 people with their dogs, then Tuesday around supper, met another 4-5 people with the their dogs. I live in Norwood Flats (1.5 km walk) but a few of them told me they live in nearby buildings. I wasn't aware so many apartment buildings allowed dogs (and not little ones, border collie, lab cross). Either way, great job Winnipeg, can't wait for warmer weather and even more visits to it.
There's actually very few buildings in Winnipeg, especially downtown, that allow dogs. A lot of people just take the risk. Of all the bigger buildings downtown, Antares is one of the only ones. 160 Smith doesn't.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 6:53 PM

Quote:
There's actually very few buildings in Winnipeg, especially downtown, that allow dogs. A lot of people just take the risk. Of all the bigger buildings downtown, Antares is one of the only ones. 160 Smith doesn't.
I guess the type of people own dogs in dog-free buildings are the same type who own high energy breeds like border collies in an apartment.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 8:13 PM

Winnipeg is very behind the times in terms of pet-friendly rentals. In Toronto or Vancouver you'd be hard-pressed to find a building that isn't pet friendly – because they know they'd be the odd ones out by alienating lots of people.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 8:39 PM

when Im there this weekend, i''ll ask them all what building they live in and get back to you. I'm sure they won't think i'm more creepy than i already am!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg is very behind the times in terms of pet-friendly rentals. In Toronto or Vancouver you'd be hard-pressed to find a building that isn't pet friendly – because they know they'd be the odd ones out by alienating lots of people.
As far as I'm aware, all the new megaprojects are pushing the pro-pet thing fast, so expect a hard shift in our marketplace's attitude towards furry children.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 12:03 AM

The new 15 storey development on Pembina will have a dog run on the roof.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
As far as I'm aware, all the new megaprojects are pushing the pro-pet thing fast, so expect a hard shift in our marketplace's attitude towards furry children.
About time. Antares has a dog run on top of the parkade that's great for renters there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
In Vancouver, the vast majority, I think a fair guess would be about 75%, of rentals listings indicate "no pets".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan