HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 10:42 PM
~Hook'em~

The Waller's latest really seems like an office park to me. At least on the street. I do like the idea of the park like environment on the creek side, but on the street sides there should be some retail or something to interact with the streets. Right there between the ACC and Rainey is a very important area IMO that I would like to seem more going on than what looks planned there. And after the hotel is up across the street it will be even busier.

It just feels to me like it is trying to separate itself from the neighborhood to be its own little thing.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 8:54 PM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...billion/nZzRn/
Quote:
Posted: 4:41 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013
Austin economy on brink of $100 billion
Exports help fuel region’s growth but account for a lower-than-average share of local GDP

By Dan Zehr
American-Statesman Staff

The Austin-area economy grew at one of the fastest rates in the country last year and, barring an unlikely economic meltdown, should soar past the $100 billion mark for the first time during 2013.

Fueled in part by higher exports and the area’s ongoing job creation and population growth, the local gross domestic product rose to $98.7 billion in 2012, according to preliminary data released Tuesday by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis.
-

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...-impact/nZ2Cy/
Quote:
Posted: 2:56 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013
SXSW 2013 had $218 million economic impact

By Gary Dinges
American-Statesman Staff

This year’s South by Southwest events had a $218 million impact on Austin’s economy, according to a report released Wednesday afternoon.

That figure is up from $190 million in 2012, an increase of 15 percent.

Austin-based consulting firm Greyhill Advisors produced the report, which was commissioned by SXSW organizers. Since Greyhill Advisors first began producing its annual report in 2007, SXSW’s economic impact has more than doubled from its initial $95 million.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 10:29 PM

SXSW would be a film festival right?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 10:36 PM
Meh

It's a music and film festival. There's also a technology convention attached to it where new devices and technology are showcased. It's basically the comic-con of the entertainment/technology industry.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 2:33 PM

I keep looking at the renderings of the Waller proposal and I will find the positive to state here...After stating the shortest tower at the corner is truly perplexing. Vertical ribs of an odd color? Odd street interaction for the pedestrian...Huh! Miss match with the other two towers.

Positives: The two taller buildings relate nicely to each other; They appear to have outside balconies, giving them a human scale; The colors will relate to existing buildings in the skyline; The limestone base is very Austin, and will blend with the convention center; The creek side water features seam nice and might add some life to the area.

That's a rap!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I keep looking at the renderings of the Waller proposal and I will find the positive to state here...After stating the shortest tower at the corner is truly perplexing. Vertical ribs of an odd color?
It looks like an accordion! No me gusta.

But yeah, agreed about the other two towers, they're not bad. I like the bright blue accents. And a new 400 footer and 500 footer for downtown would be great!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
Member since 2001

I think there is a better chance that Nick Saban comes to Austin to coach the Longhorns than for the Waller Towers to be built.

Which means not a whole lot...considering I think Saban-to-Austin is at a 10% chance.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 6:03 PM

Fairmont Groundbreaking

Anyone have any news about whether or not the Fairmont is still scheduled for a November groundbreaking?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Anyone have any news about whether or not the Fairmont is still scheduled for a November groundbreaking?
From what I've heard several months ago, it's still a go.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
I certainly hope so. Do we know if this flood plain thing has affected it at all?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I certainly hope so. Do we know if this flood plain thing has affected it at all?
The reason ground breaking was moved to November from this summer was due to the flood plain issue, or so an article somewhere suggested.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 6:00 AM
Meh

http://www.kvue.com/news/Seattle-lik...225251032.html
Quote:
Seattle-like public market could become reality in Austin

by SHANNON MURRAY / KVUE NEWS and photojournalist MICHAEL MOORE
Bio | Email | Follow: @ShannonM_KVUE

kvue.com
Posted on September 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Updated today at 6:41 PM

AUSTIN -- It's a world famous attraction in Seattle -- and soon Austin could have a public market of it's own. Right now it's little more than a vision but Wednesday city and business leaders, along with farmers, took the first steps to explore the possibilities.

The exact location of where the market would be is still unclear but developers say downtown would be the ideal spot. Growers say while the current farmers markets are great, this is what they've been waiting for.
-

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...ood-mar/nZ7dq/
Quote:
Posted: 8:19 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2013
Is downtown ripe for a permanent daily food marketplace?

By Addie Broyles
American-Statesman Staff

Every Saturday for the past 10 years, the Sustainable Food Center’s pop-up farmers’ market in downtown Austin has provided a community hub for residents and visitors to buy produce, meats and prepared foods, to socialize and to learn more about Austin’s multifaceted food community.

Lately, some have wondered whether it’s time for Austin to have a permanent daily food marketplace, similar to public markets in Seattle, San Francisco and Philadelphia that draw millions of visitors a year.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:17 PM

Hmm, wherever the market went, it would have to be somewhere accessible, which doesn't cause too much congestion. And then there's the question of whether we're willing to sacrifice a high-rise building for a large market like this. I tend to prefer street-level quality over just a superficial aesthetic quality. But I don't exactly want to displace a large building project that's already planned. They said it could be a part of a mixed-use building, which I think would be cool. I think one place it could really work is right here, across from the Colorado Tower. It's right in the heart of downtown, right by Congress, it's highly-accessible via public transportation and walking, close to the lake. I think it's perfect.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 2:24 PM

Maybe it could fit in one of the many Capitol view Corridors where high rises can't be built.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:44 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Hmm, wherever the market went, it would have to be somewhere accessible, which doesn't cause too much congestion. And then there's the question of whether we're willing to sacrifice a high-rise building for a large market like this. I tend to prefer street-level quality over just a superficial aesthetic quality. But I don't exactly want to displace a large building project that's already planned. They said it could be a part of a mixed-use building, which I think would be cool. I think one place it could really work is right here, across from the Colorado Tower. It's right in the heart of downtown, right by Congress, it's highly-accessible via public transportation and walking, close to the lake. I think it's perfect.
A really nice setup would be the have the market there on the first levels (first level?) with residential above it or even office space. It would be nice to have a lot of retail in it also and maybe even multiple levels of it. Maybe even a full scale grocery store. I would have the podium meet the street like the other buildings along Congress do and then have a setback as required by the CVC, and then let the upper levels be a secondary use such as residential or office space. I'm not even talking really tall, maybe 5 to 8 floors atop the retail levels. Although, I suppose you could put a tower at 3rd & Colorado on the east end of the block.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
~Hook'em~

I'd like to see it on the east side of DT. Perhaps part of the Waller Creek project? I know they have a few areas set aside they have some plans for. Many include this with one of them? Like where the APD HQ is. I think there are plans to move that and replace it with something. Or maybe down closer to Rainey and Town Lake.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
WOW!! I forgot how open/empty that area looked before the Hyatt Place, Whitley and the Marriott!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 5:48 AM
Time to musk up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Maybe it could fit in one of the many Capitol view Corridors where high rises can't be built.
The first thing that came to mind is the Seaholm power plant. I think it would be a great way to utilize that space.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:40 AM

The City's emerging project poster was updated this week:

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...r_2013_oct.pdf

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotliz View Post
WOW!! I forgot how open/empty that area looked before the Hyatt Place, Whitley and the Marriott!
Say what you will about Hyatt Place and Whitley being ugly or not tall enough but they really transformed that part of downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations