HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 8:13 PM
BANNED

never heard of this one, west of COP, looks decent:

http://www.highstreetcalgary.com/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 12:39 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I'm under the impression this one is basically dead, unless the collapse of the Tanger proposal has redeemed it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I'm under the impression this one is basically dead, unless the collapse of the Tanger proposal has redeemed it.
Did they not just get all of their approvals at the end of the year? Or did I miss something?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:57 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I had not heard that, I thought it was supposed to go to council back in the Fall but I didn't think that happened and Shape had cold feet over the ridiculous number of proposals in that general area.

I would be delighted to be corrected on that.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:15 PM
not a NIMBY

I noticed lots of work going on where Cabelas is going to be next to Deerfoot Mall.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:36 PM
BANNED

They got their land-use amendment in Nov.

Pretty good mixing of uses based on their site plan below, much better than the old style power centres. Not sure how well some of these new centres connect to existing neighborhoods and availability of transit options though. This one's fairly remote in this regard, I think the new one at the bottom of COP has more potential.

http://www.highstreetcalgary.com/Hig...gary_Facts.pdf

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:17 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
They got their land-use amendment in Nov.

Pretty good mixing of uses based on their site plan below, much better than the old style power centres. Not sure how well some of these new centres connect to existing neighborhoods and availability of transit options though. This one's fairly remote in this regard, I think the new one at the bottom of COP has more potential.

http://www.highstreetcalgary.com/Hig...gary_Facts.pdf
It's modeled after Quartier DIX30 in Quebec and Highstreet in Abbotsford has been open for a while. It's working with what's available to them in a desirable yet constrained area. Originally construction was scheduled to begin last year, if things are still moving, that is just great.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 11:51 PM

Anyone heard of any rumblings of a West Elm opening soon here in Calgary?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:44 PM

With the disastrous Target expansion into Canada done, I'm curious how Nordstrom is doing?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Anyone heard of any rumblings of a West Elm opening soon here in Calgary?
Oh boy, that would be fantastic!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
With the disastrous Target expansion into Canada done, I'm curious how Nordstrom is doing?
Retail-Insider is reporting that Nordstrom Calgary is performing 30% above initial forecasts (http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...15/2/nordstrom).

I would love it if West Elm came to Calgary. South Centre seems to be a natural fit with both Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware having its Calgary stores located at that mall.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 9:14 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Went to Frank and Oak on 17th avenue just east of 8th street on Sunday and was pretty impressed with their store. The owners said they are on a one year lease to see how it goes, and were thinking of doing some renos to the front to make their street presence a bit better. I really like the stuff there and it is encouraging to see that 17th was chosen as a location to have a store front for them. Great deals too.

- Rusty, I think you walked in as I was going upstairs, was going to say hi when I came back down, but you had left

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Retail-Insider is reporting that Nordstrom Calgary is performing 30% above initial forecasts (http://www.retail-insider.com/retail...15/2/nordstrom).

I would love it if West Elm came to Calgary. South Centre seems to be a natural fit with both Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware having its Calgary stores located at that mall.
Perhaps West Elm could take up part of Target at chinook. Just a thought

Old Posted Feb 2, 2015, 10:58 PM

west elm doesn't usually go inside shopping malls, they are usally in trendy downtown areas or lifestyle malls.

i don't know whats consider trendy in calgary but if it were edmonton i imagine it would open on whyte avenue

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 5:08 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
- Rusty, I think you walked in as I was going upstairs, was going to say hi when I came back down, but you had left
I was definitely in there- was asking how the Stumptown Coffee they're brewing was working out. I got a really nice sweater there before Xmas.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 1:38 AM
power to the people!

Hippies, hipsters and food faddists rejoice!

Location announcement in June. My money is on Northland.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Hippies, hipsters and food faddists rejoice!

Location announcement in June. My money is on Northland.
A strange location for a more upscale grocery store than we have out here. And where within the mall could it be located, if indeed Northland is chosen?

Also find it interesting that Edmonton gets the first Whole Foods in the province, as it did with Simons. Not being snobby, but I wonder what the draw is for retailers to Edmonton over Calgary.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
A strange location for a more upscale grocery store than we have out here. And where within the mall could it be located, if indeed Northland is chosen?

Also find it interesting that Edmonton gets the first Whole Foods in the province, as it did with Simons. Not being snobby, but I wonder what the draw is for retailers to Edmonton over Calgary.
99% of the time: West Edmonton Mall. Largest shopping centre in North America, big tourist attraction.

Reason for this specific example? Probably found the right real estate in Edmonton first. That's why both IHop and Carl's Jr. opened there first as well.

I'm probably the odd man out, but I'm not a fan of Whole Foods.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 4:01 AM
power to the people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Not really if you take an average household income of a certain radius.

I'm sure there's also lifestyle factors of a given area that they looked into. With that in mind, we can use every yokel Calgarians favorite topic of contention--bike lanes. The network seems better resolved in the NW than it does in other parts of the city. Who knows what other magic formulas marketers use in deciding locations.

Plus Northland is due for a redevelopment, which could also explain why the Wal-Mart there is the only one left in the city stuck in the 90s.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Not really if you take an average household income of a certain radius.

I'm sure there's also lifestyle factors of a given area that they looked into. With that in mind, we can use every yokel Calgarians favorite topic of contention--bike lanes. The network seems better resolved in the NW than it does in other parts of the city. Who knows what other magic formulas marketers use in deciding locations.

Plus Northland is due for a redevelopment, which could also explain why the Wal-Mart there is the only one left in the city stuck in the 90s.
Isn't Northland where Debaji's (sic) tried to open an upscale market back in the late 1990's early 2000's? Not sure if I got the name right, but they were originally from Edmonton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy